In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

computer help

jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
How do you restore/get back the progress bar at the bottom of the screen? XP2000.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    my hard drive does not recognize my cd rom can anyone help before I unhook it and spend 75 bucks having it re-vamped[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think my computer has a virus and I need some help. When I turn it on a window pops up wanting to run a program. The name is system.exe and the publisher unknown. If I click cancel the screen pops up again and again. This goes on for awhile and eventually it will stop pulling up.

I've noticed my computer is running slower and will eventually freeze up. I do the whole control alt delete but that won't even pull up. I googled the system.exe and the sites I found say it's a trojan virus. None of them really tell me what to do. I run Norton but it says things are fine.

Any advice?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    While out to dinner, my lame brained son got on my new laptop, which I have no problem with except somehow he bumped a key, or combination of keys and now the screen is sideways. I'm sure this is an easy fix but you that know me know that I suffer from computer stupidity.
    If anyone could give me some advise to get my screen back right, I would be very grateful. Kevin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot the password on a computer that isn't used very often,but have the administrators password. Only thing is I don't know where to type it in. There is only one account showing that needs a password and that is the one I don't know. This is windows vista. Anyone know how I can fix this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    System: Vista Home Premium

OK i have two HD's on my laptop. one is just a spare as far as i can tell, then the 2nd on is my OS that i operate off of and its partitioned as a back up/recovery drive also. Well i don't think I'll need the back up as i always upload my pics and what not to a website. How do i delete the recovery partition on my main drive without deleting my OS?? I noticed in the control panel there was an option for system and maintenance, then it has another sub option Create and format Hard disk partitions. surely it isn't as simple as that is it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a problem with my computer. Everything is to big and is not very detailed....everything looks a cheap super nintendo graphics.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old emac, Safari browser, and I don't know how to post pics. I am on dial-up, have a pic or two I wouldnt mid sharing, anyone tell me how?
    Thanks
    Lafe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My mother board died and there is some stuff on the C drive form the old computer I need. One of my sons says if I use a USB port and hook up a hard drive adapter from my dead computers C drive to my new computer, there will be some Windows conflicts?

Really not all that much on my old C Drive, nothing I can't replace except the time to do the work over again. Just some stuff I lost between backups. All of it in one briefcase file.

Is it worth the possible consequences to hook up an adapter and try to retrieve the work? The only file I have to open is one briefcase file.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok got an e-mail that i need to open but thanks to windows live one care. Won't let me open it and i can't find a way to by pass it. Any help would be a great help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have recently increased the memory in my laptop. Now it seems to run a lot hotter. would this be from adding memory?
    Any tips on what i could do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've managed to pick up something that resets my homepage each time I boot up my machine. The address it displays on my browser is just jibberish, but when I view the properties it shows "in.webcounter". I've looked through my cookies file but don't see anything that matches either of these. I also don't see anything there that's new or suspicious.

I never open the e-mail program on this machine, so whatever this is came from browsing the web.

Any ideas where this little devil could be hiding in my system?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some of the kids baseball cards on the fleebay site that Im selling and I can not get into the site. This started last Thursday. I can not enter the site on any of my three home computers. I have never had a problem before and its weird that all three at once would do this. I can reach all other sites I frequent as normal but fleabay. I have cleared the caches , deleted cookies the whole bowl of wax. I can go to my place of business and not have a problem entering the site. Anyone have any ideas ? I have used the bookmark I have typed in the url to no avail.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I try to Cut and Paste and i can't anymore.
    Is there a setting. I have XP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone tell me if it is possible for a virus to effect your dial up connection?

My problem is that it takes 30 minutes to get to our provider and it keeps kicking us off all the time.

You can dial it up and it says that your connected, then in less than a second it states that it was unable to connect.

Service provider says we might have a virus but Im not so sure.

There are times when I have no trouble to get in, than there are times when it takes forever.

As tonight it has taken 45 minutes just to get the dial up to my provider to get to here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I dont think my provider is being honest with us.

The last time I took the computer to him, he put in a floppy with a virus search on it and he said that there was none present. When he checked the settings on the dialup there was some info missing about how to connect to him, but this guy was not very helpful in telling me what to look for in the settings and my wife just accepts what he says.

I want answers, and cant get the ones that I ask answered.

One I have is, do providers sell more access than they have space for and is this the norm for dial up service providers.

Do providers like netjuno have toll free numbers to call, for there service.

I would like to dump this guy!!!!! but dont want to pay more for the long distance call to the new provider.

I believe he is the only one in our little town who has a service, and I feel like Im between a rock and a hard place as for another provider.

Any help here would be appreciated also.

As I have been typing this it has kicked me off twice.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well anyone know a good computer (laptops is what i want). I want it for gaming and also other stuff. needs to be fast, and good quality. was thinking the dell Inspiron E1705. but was looking at Toshiba's computers but i know nothing about. any one have a Toshiba laptop?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do I email photos? Have photos on photobucket, am assuming I use URL, but do I create link or copy or paste or just forget it cuz I aint got a clue
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have switch to the new internet explorer and need to turn the auto complete back on. I have looked all over how do I do it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on my pc the fan will run, but it will show nothing on the screen till i push the button on the bottom left of the screen. then it quickly shows "power safe mode hit any key or move mouse",i did that and nothing happens. any ideas? it worked fine to days ago
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Hewlett Packard computer at my office that runs windows me. The other day I was doing some typing and it shut down. Now all I get when I turn it on is the Windows Me screen and nothing else. I can't even get it to shut down by hitting the Ctrl, alt, del keys. Any suggestions.

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just switched to firefox because of my yahoo mail. before if i was typing and wanted to see how to spell a word, i would minimize say this screen and go to google and check. i would copy the word and click out of google and go back to typing.
    NOW if if i do the same and want click out of google, there is a lable that appears saying YOU ARE ABOUT TO CLOSE TWO TABS and if i do click that it takes me to my home page and i loose everything and have to start over
    is there a way to fix this
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Computer is 2 years old. If you bump it or put something down on the desk and jar it the computer will shut off. Sometimes it will shutoff on its own with noone around.
    Does anyone know what could be causing this? Sometimes when it shuts off it just starts right back up and sometimes it will shut off and when you press the power button it will not come back on right away[:(].

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It will keep me from sitting in here like I am sitting on a Grenade.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This one has me very puzzled. I searched the internet and can't find an answer to this. The other day my keyboard just stopped working, so I rebooted and it worked BUT I can only type 7 letters/characters at a time before it locks up and stops working (I'm not using that computer right now). I get 7 letters/characters each time before it stops. Any ideas as to what is causing this? It's not the keyboard... I think it's a hardware issue, because of the fact that it's exactly 7 letters/characters each time. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you post a link. I want to post a link to a gun on GB and am having troble. I highlight the numbers and hit copy. I come ove to the forums and hit paste and nothing comes up. Please help. Thanks, Oak.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just updated my Thunderbird email and now when I try to open it it flies off the right of the page. I can preview it but when I try to open it its gone right ? How do I get it back on the main screen ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can I transfer everything from one computer hard drive to another computer including operating system? Can I hook up computer to computer and make the transfer?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I try to download pics off of my yahoo account it acts like it downloads them and an icon pops up on my desktop but the files show 0 bytes. I can download these pics to other computers when I log into my email. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i keep getting these popup things that say window regesty needs to be fixed and it show a web sight to go to. the pop ups are different ever time they show a diffent web sight like www. regfix.com. are these some form of of advertising for these sights or are they coming from my pc. should i get a reg fix. i just reformated the hard drive on this pc and restored windows on in 3 day ago so i dont see how the registey can be damaged.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i figured it out[:o)]
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwb267

is there a way to fix this

Quit doing what you do! Don