In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Beef Jerky

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Went to the grocery store and they had Chuck Roast on sale (buy one ger one) so I thought I'd make some jerky.

Anyone have a good recipe for the marinade? I like regular flavors and sweet like teriyaki too.

Comments

• Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I am going to try making jerky for the first time tonight. I have a bunch of venison but for the practice batch I want to use beef. My question is this, what is the best cut to make jerky out of? I'll be cutting whatever I get into thin strips and using the oven to dry them out.

Thanks in advance for the tips! [:D]

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    edited November -1
    About a week or so ago I was talking to my brother on the phone. He asked me if I have made any jerky lately. I told him I probably haven't made any for about two years. He said he just made a batch. He didn't know how much beef he started with, but he wound up with about twenty pounds of jerky. I told him I know he makes pretty good jerky, but it's nowhere near as good as what I make.

Today when I went to the mail box, you could have knocked me over with a hammer. He sent me about four pounds of jerky and the duffas included a 1.5 ounce pack of store-bought jerky so I could see what his jerky is better than. [:D]

Truth is the boy makes better jerky than I do, but don't tell him that. [:D]
    edited November -1
    Where can I find the real stuff to buy?
    Not proccessed, but the real thing?
    Any good links on the internet?
    I found this place, but I never oredered here..

http://www.jaysjerky.com/?gclid=CNDlpcq-yaUCFRhO5QodGQpFYA

Thx
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've made it from the front, back, and anything in between. All comes out good.

<P> To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here just, keep the fat to a minumum (Helps with drying and keeps the bacteria down for long term storage).[:)]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
    edited November -1
    Awesome, thanks guys. I've read that I need to keep the strips thin and cut them along the grain of the meat. Any other suggestions?

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have fun experimenting![:D]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Dont forget to soak them strips in some tasty stuff before you start the drying process. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    First time in an oven, most folks will overcook. LOW heat, and check it several times near the end by bending it. If it breaks you've gone too far, should be pliable. Enjoy!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always leave my oven door ajar when I make jerky in the oven.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"