In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thinking of buying a smoker

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am looking at picking up a smoker in the next month so I can smoke salmon, jerky, and other delicacies. The two models I am looking at are Luhr Jensen's Little Chief and the Brinker Sportsman Smoker. I won't be doing more then 5 - 10 lbs at one time so these models are the perfect size. Not to mention they will be sitting on the small deck of my apartment. Does anyone have experience with either and care to comment?

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Brinker in the Electric model. I feel it controls the heat more evenly. You can still use it as a grill if you you so desire. jmo
    Steve

If you need a Second Shot, YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, I have the electric Brinker and also a charcoal one. As far as making meat taste good, they are about the same, but the electric takes care of itself. The charcoal one requires constant attention, adding charcoal, replacing the liquid. adjusting temprature, etc..With the electric, I can fill the liquid pan with wine, spices, whatever I like..Put some wood chips in that have been soaked in water, turn it on and forget it for hours, however long the recipe takes. I promise it gets the smoke flavor in just as well as any with not even ten percent of the work. I suggest you have at least two..When you have dem wild piggies, it's nice to speed things up.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the charcoal-type and converted it to propane for the reasons mentioned by Oldgunner. Saves alot of fussin' so you can focus on 12 oz. curls [:D]
  • buzardbuzard Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do a pretty good amount of smoking . I swear by charcoal & chuncks of hard wood and fruit woods , i recently bought a smooker from wal-mart . Its called NewBronfils, the model is the Bandera. Witch are both names of citys in Texas. One thing about it i love is it has a fire box off to the side . witch helps in controling heat for that slow cook. Ithink i payed 250.00 dollars for it .
    Happy Smoking!! Buzard
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried one of dem big Buzard ones, but I might sometime. They sure look pretty a sittin' there in Walmart, and I'm tempted every time I see them.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Make your own. a 20 gal oil drum and a 15 gallon one, join em together with a pipe, with the fire one lower than the cooking one. ifn ya want I give ya some plans for one..

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the charcoal and a propane smoker. Worked great. A friend built me a nice one out of a propane tank with a stainless firebox on the side. Will never use anything else.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"