In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

the best trout fishing rig set up

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
since there was a post about berkely power bait i'm gonna give out my trout fishing rig secret.

i use 4lb stren for my line
step 1 cut 2-3 feet of 2lb leader.
step 2 tie on the smallest swivel you can find not the snap ones to your leader.i prefer black before gold.
step 3 put on a sliding weight size 9 onto your line
step 4 tie on your leader using the swivel to your line the weight should be on your line and stop at the swivel.dont put the weight on your leader.
step 5 tie on a size 20 treble hook to the end of your leader if you cant find a size 20 a sz 18 will do fine.these treble hooks are very very small.
step 6 tie on some yarn i prefer hot pink to your leader be sure to clip the ends.the yarn should look like a small ball.
step 7 i use 2 berkley power bait colors yellow and red. take a the red and yellow roll it into a ball.put it on your treble hook and make sure it is in a ball form be careful not to hook yourself.make sure the power bait is in a ball form and is the diameter of a dime.
step 8 slide the yarn u tied onto your leader next to the power bait on your treble hook.take some herring oil and put it on your yarn.
step 9 cast it out there.
step 10 use a rod holder in the ground i use a forked twig or branch,
place your rod onto the holder.reel in your slack ,your line should be perfectly straight.
step 11 catch some trout in no time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
SEMPER FI

Comments

• pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a 1/4 stick of dynamite[:D][:D][:D]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    The purist will frown big time but...
    back in the 60's and early 70's I did a lot of backpackin' in both Colorado and up in the Angeles Nat. forest in southern Calif.

Nothing could beat whole kernel corn on a tiny perch hook for gettin' supper!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dare Devil/Flat fish in the river, Rapala for trolling lake lunkers, Corn for still fishing. [:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1QT mayonase jar with 4 large tbls of football field line marking lime.Add large rock for weight, punch 2-3 holes in lid with small nail,and toss into favorite fishing hole. Scoop up fish and depart area rapidly! [:D][:D][:D]
    Blue fox,white Roostertails, or chartruse Power bait in the lakes. #10 or 12 Eagle Claw with Balls o fire salmon eggs, 1 small split shot 3' up and drift it down over a big rock.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    myself, as i nearly EXCLUSIVELY fish for natives in 3 foot wide streams......9 ft fly rod, swivel with snap, leadered eagle claw #6, or salmon egg hook, and a mealworm......they can't feel weight when thay bite, and hit it hard......

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to try that. That's basically the way I do it, except for the yarn and herring oil. As far as lures go, I like the Blue Fox Vibrax spinners, and the Bouyant Spoons. If you want big browns, use live sculpins at night. Rig them up the same way, with a slip sinker and swivel rig, like you would for catfish.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Very nice. I hope you have fun. I like your setup.

jbs.giflogo22.jpgrfcmember.gif
    KP4CBrian.gif597Brian.jpg
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of trout?

For steelhead in Michigan spring river runs I like a small treble hook with salmon spawn bags and a 3-way swivel up about 16" with about 1/4 ounce weight connected to a 6" monofilament. I cast upstream above indentations and slow-water eddies and catch the fish trying to take a break from the current. I've found the trick is to basically annoy them into snapping at the bait and with a sensitive rod you can set the hook right when they do it!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    A bamboo pole, a piece of bailers twine, a bent paper clip and a grass hopper!!! You guys are making it to complicated!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For pitching roe,it's impossible to beat a Gamakatsu Octopus,with a bumper snell loop knot. I like ProCure,to put my roe up with and think it's damned hard to beat.

Maxima Chameleon is the yardstick,for monofilament and makes the best presentation IMHO. I tie up snells in advance,store them in a Pip's and keep a half dozen or so on hand,to meet conditions as far as leader size and hook sizing.

Drift Fishing is my favorite fishing pastime and find it impossible to get excited about fishing large bodies of water,exceptin' the Ocean.

I scale tackle up for Salmon and down for Steelies and Trout. Loomis is my weapon of choice....................
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i really dont like maxima because everytime i use it .it turns into a big knot around my reel.i then found out that maxima is designed for baitcasters not spinning reels oooopppss.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    Have you ever tried wrapping salmon eggs in pantyhose on a treble hook? I've done it with chicken livers for catfish and it works pretty good. Keeps it from coming off the hook, but lets the scent escape into the water.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    i do it for steelheading and salmon but without using a treble hook

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I wear pantyhose when i go catfishing to.... i mean I've tried pantyhose and chicken liver.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
    Works good, if you use beef liver you can leave out the pantyhose for some reason, beef must have more texture to it or something, it holds on better while casting.

now for trout set ups, I sure ain't no trout fisherman, but i sure liked using salmon eggs for Rainbows in Little Pine Creek, PA. Good memories there[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    DuPont spinner. 1/2 stick of dynamite tapped to a brick. 30 second fuse.
    edited November -1
    I drive Chameleon on a multitude of spinning reels and casting reels. Like anything(excepting braids),it requires being spooled properly,with the lay of the line.

For a deft touch,one can't beat a proper egg cure and a bumper snell loop to retain them.

Here is a typical morning's setup. A gallon of cured roe,a bunch Pip's ready to roll,an oakie or a corkie for visual appeal and a selection of rods for varying conditions. Would add that for this particular drift,I opt hi-vis Trilene mainline(Chameleon leaders),as pards and I Fish in close proximity and it aids when 5 guys have 5 fish on at once,to see who's where:

fad52661.jpg

And the typical results:

fae7123b.jpg

It's kinda fun.....................(grin)
    edited November -1
    Big red x no fish!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    Do the click on the X thing,hit "properties" and see if the POS loads that way?.....................
    edited November -1
    Nope no fish! I tried but it said I was forbidden. I smell a fish story![:D]

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    NICE FISH BIG STICK WOW WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't take that many steps to get a beer, why would I to get a fish?[:D][:D]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"