In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No self-serve gas in Oregon ?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
...My sister has been visiting and staying with my Mom. We three kids were yakking a couple days ago, and she says that there is no "pump your own" gas in Oregon. For real? We don't even have to pay first. We can pump as much as we want, then go inside to pay. That's pretty rare, but sure is handy when using cash.
...BTW, Sis is from Klamath Falls.

Comments

• Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    nope...screws me up everytime. I always get out to pump my own gas and the attendant scolds me...
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope your not allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon, there are highly trained minimum wage professionals that keep individuals from blowing up your self and innocent bystanders through ignorance of the laws of flammability and common sense.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Whats funny is I have been pumping gas longer than those highly trained individuals have been alive
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Wow, flashbacks to when I was sixteen. "Regular or ethyl Sir? Check your tires and oil?" Washing the windshield was part of the job.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1969.....Dallas suburbs.....gas wars.....Super Shell (premium gas)......11 cents per gallon.....full service gas station. No $#!+.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It has been like that in Oregon for as log as I can remember. I believe that New Jersey is the only other state which prohibits self service at the fuel pumps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ...Wow, flashbacks to when I was sixteen. "Regular or ethyl Sir? Check your tires and oil?" Washing the windshield was part of the job.
    I doubt most even have a clue as to where they would check oil, the state just mandates that you don't operate a gas pump.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    It's true..Who want's to get out in the rain and pump gas????

I remember when the push for pump your own was going on in Washington the big deal was cheaper gas.It didn't stay that way,Washington is higher than oregon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I doubt most even have a clue as to where they would check oil, the state just mandates that you don't operate a gas pump.

...I'd like to pull in with a '57 Chevy and watch them look for the gas cap...[:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its true, New Jersey is all NO self serve. You have to wait for the local moron to get done text messaging his friends to come over to pump your gas.[}:)]Usally a towel head whom cant speak the language but knows how to count money. New Jersy SUCKS
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1

...I'd like to pull in with a '57 Chevy and watch them look for the gas cap...[:D]

Tap..was it behind the tail light assembly, like in the old '50's Cadillacs?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Yep, behind the lights. I must admit that the first time one pulled in, I didn't know either.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's odd that as an Oregon resident I can't pump gas butI can pump my own diesel.............
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    A gas station had to buy my cousin a new water tank for his boat after the moron filled it with gasoline.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when i was a kid pumping gas a good lookin gal pulls in in a Pantera....i didn't have a clue
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Yep. But a few years ago they gave me as a Bike rider the right to fill my own Bike. Guess they were getting to many attendants beaten cause they spilled gas all over some guys bike.

But I pumped my own before it was legal.

Now I have a problem with my jeep, if they pump on the high setting it burps back. As soon as that happens they shut the pump off and tell me its full. Another new law that has them real afraid No Topping off. So I'm completely on empty and they put in 2 gal and will not put in more. Lucky most of the time I fill up at a local station where I know the owner so I get a full tank there.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Yep. But a few years ago they gave me as a Bike rider the right to fill my own Bike. Guess they were getting to many attendants beaten cause they spilled gas all over some guys bike.

I've ridden in Oregon many times and I ahve always been able to pump my own fuel...After being handed the nozzle. These is a special exemption in the Oregon State laws which allows for motorcycle riders to despite their own fuel so long as the receive and return the nozzle to the attendant.

480.349 Use of gasoline dispensing device by motorcycle operator. (1) As used in this section, "motorcycle" has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.365.

(2) Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340:

(a) Upon the request of an operator of a motorcycle, the owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail shall set the fuel dispensing device and hand the discharge nozzle to the operator of the motorcycle.

(b) An operator of a motorcycle who is handed a discharge nozzle under paragraph (a) of this subsection:

(A) May dispense Class 1 flammable liquids into the operator's motorcycle.

(B) Shall, after dispensing the liquids, return the discharge nozzle to the owner, operator or employee.

(3) The owner, operator or employee who is handed the discharge nozzle shall return the nozzle to the pump or take any other actions necessary to ensure safe completion of the fueling operation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has not always been that way.

quote:On June 11, 2001, Oregon motorcyclists won the right to pump their own gas. Governor John Kitzhaber signed House Bill 3885 into law, which gives motorcyclists the choice of fueling their own bikes. Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states which prohibit "Self-Serve" gas pumps, and now motorcycles will be the only class of vehicle allowed to actually dispense fuel into their own tanks in Oregon, effective January 1, 2002.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i have no problem pumping my own. i have no problem letting someone else pump my gas, provided they do it properly.

what gets me is full serve and mini serve pumps. mini serve has cheaper gas and they just pump it. full serve is supposed to come with the full tickle. wash the glass, check the oil etc. they never do unless you demand that they do, but if you pull up to the full service station you pay more for gas, EVEN WHEN THEY DONT DO ANYTHING.

i make it a point to avoid full serve pumps, but when i cant i demand they either provide the service they are charging me for, or discount the price.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

I've ridden in Oregon many times and I ahve always been able to pump my own fuel...After being handed the nozzle. These is a special exemption in the Oregon State laws which allows for motorcycle riders to despite their own fuel so long as the receive and return the nozzle to the attendant.

480.349 Use of gasoline dispensing device by motorcycle operator. (1) As used in this section, "motorcycle" has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.365.

(2) Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340:

(a) Upon the request of an operator of a motorcycle, the owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail shall set the fuel dispensing device and hand the discharge nozzle to the operator of the motorcycle.

(b) An operator of a motorcycle who is handed a discharge nozzle under paragraph (a) of this subsection:

(A) May dispense Class 1 flammable liquids into the operator's motorcycle.

(B) Shall, after dispensing the liquids, return the discharge nozzle to the owner, operator or employee.

(3) The owner, operator or employee who is handed the discharge nozzle shall return the nozzle to the pump or take any other actions necessary to ensure safe completion of the fueling operation.

now we know how the health care bill got to 29,000 pages [:I]
  • Options
    lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a nice hot rod or custom car they will let you pump your own fuel. They don't want their nose broken when they spill ethel all over your 20 grand paint job!! Good idea dumb *!![:D]
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should never have done away with full service gas stations. Every time a car comes in for gas, check tire pressure, Check tread, check oil, clean windows. Would keep the roads safer.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is still a few places around here that allow you to pump gas then pay.
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I lived in Oregon more than once the gas boy would tell me I can't pump my own gas. If they weren't there right away, I got out and starting the pump, that would bring them running. I had a diesel and you could pump your own diesel.

I used to stop everytime I went through one small town, there were three women that ran the station. If the long red hair one was working you would swear the windshield was gone when you got back in the truck. Man she would get that windshield clean.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Just think how many jobs would be created if every station in the US did that...[;)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wolf.
    1969.....Dallas suburbs.....gas wars.....Super Shell (premium gas)......11 cents per gallon.....full service gas station. No $#!+.

fast forward 10 years: 1979 Dallas Oil Shortage super shell premium .89 cents (up about .25 a gal because of shortage. Full service because they didnt want anyone getting more than 10 gal at 1 time.

;) we have seen some pretty crazy things that in hindsight, weren't so crazy after all.

Originally posted by Waco Waltz

They should never have done away with full service gas stations. Every time a car comes in for gas, check tire pressure, Check tread, check oil, clean windows. Would keep the roads safer.

I know where one is in Dallas (around the tollway and forest I think). You can have your gas pumped and windshield cleaned for a mere .87 cents per gal penalty... Let me be the first to say I can pump a lot of gas for .87 cents a gal!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    job creation but you would have to learn espanol
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems to be near as many thoughts on: "No self-serve gas in Oregon" as there are GB members.

I'd rather some folks have jobs pumping fuel at the station and perhaps fewer folks without income. MHO
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    reason for self-service. Rich Man does NOT like to Share [:(!]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I was in Portland last year and pumped my own gas at the AM/PM and when the attendant came over I asked him if he wanted to finish filling my truck he just laughed and said "no, you can do it"
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't know what to do if someone pumped my gas for me....that hasn't happened around here in forever. I hear there is a full service station in Blountsville, but I haven't stopped there.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Living on the OR/WA border offers a most unique oppertunity found nowhere in the USA. One has NO income tax. The other NO sales tax. Trick is to live where theres no income tax. Shop where theres NO sales tax. [^]

Just cant remember which is which [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    Living on the OR/WA border offers a most unique oppertunity found nowhere in the USA. One has NO income tax. The other NO sales tax. Trick is to live where theres no income tax. Shop where theres NO sales tax. [^]

Just cant remember which is which [:(]

Oregon Has no Sales tax but for sure has an income tax.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    job creation but you would have to learn espanol

Not so bad in most of the state only place I have not understood the attendant was Portland.

The problem with this way of doing things is we have the Highest gas prices only a couple of states are Higher.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So much do you tip the kid pumping your gas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

No kids most are old folks and no cause they are already getting too much from my wallet as it is.

With Gas from $3.39-$4.04 you can see the spread. The low prices are up near the Washington Oregon Border. But just 30-40 miles south they go up fast my area $3.85-$3.90 for reg. Get near the Calif Border and you hit the $4.00 mark.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I tell them to reach for a higher rung on the career ladder.

On a side note does anyone know how to remove urine from a gas tank?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a side note does anyone know how to remove urine from a gas tank?

Siphon hose. Don