In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Went to Bass Pro on Saturday

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Figured it wouldn't be as busy as Friday, but that place was packed. Parked the car a few stores over and hiked it, closest I could get. It was quite an experience. The place was full of people everywhere, and the gun counter was full. Had people lined from end to end, several people deep. The shelves were looking a little empty too, and they always have a lot of guns. The guy said they sold about 100 guns on Fri, and while I was there Sat there were 3 or 4 being sold. Everyone from college aged girls to older white men in wheelchairs were filling out the paperwork. I came there knowing what I wanted, and worked my way in to get there, but seeing the people shopping was interesting. I was actually surprised that a lot of shoppers at the counter did not know much about guns. Saw a guy looking at a few, writing down info on each, saw another guy looking at a gun, and he had no idea how it worked. So the employee helping him had to give him the basic instruction in how to work the gun. Saw some college girls buying some rifles, never seen that before at a gun store. It just seems that everyone is buying up what they can right now, cause they all know what is coming. Anybody else experiencing this?

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    I was actually surprised that a lot of shoppers at the counter did not know much about guns. Saw a guy looking at a few, writing down info on each, saw another guy looking at a gun, and he had no idea how it worked. So the employee helping him had to give him the basic instruction in how to work the gun. Saw some college girls buying some rifles, never seen that before at a gun store. It just seems that everyone is buying up what they can right now

thats major scary snit right there.
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same thing has been going on here , people buy everything in sight
  • Options
    MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to one today too. Guns were expensive, Sig Mosquito was over $400 [:0] Nice new store in Leeds, AL. Santa was there and the little one got a picture taken for free[:D]
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i can understand the panic...i wish we had some warning here before we lost ours in `96 [:(]....we wer`nt given the oppurtunity to grand father them or anything else...it was hand them in or else!!

if bans do come in there, everyone who did`nt buy will be kicking themselves...better to be safe than sorry...look at it this way...you buy a gun now, that costs you $500 more than it was worth before the elections...so what?..leave it in it`s box for a couple of years and it will be worth the money whenyou sell it...but what will it be worth if bans do come in?...
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Those same gun buying people should also be lining up at one of the few national (and local) gun rights groups that, with limited money and memberships, do what they can to try and help us hold onto our gun rights.

But they won't. While those gun buyers are thinking they need to buy a gun (or maybe several) they are mostly thinking that it is the job of someone other than them to actually spend money, time and effort trying to hold onto the very right that makes them able to buy those guns.

Yeah, I know. I am a scold. But it comes so easy when all it takes is for me to describe the truth. Truth you, I and most other guns owners know is true as we see it played out almost every week. Has played out that way for decades.
  • Options
    chaosrobchaosrob Member Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    Those same gun buying people should also be lining up at one of the few national (and local) gun rights groups that, with limited money and memberships, do what they can to try and help us hold onto our gun rights.

But they won't. While those gun buyers are thinking they need to buy a gun (or maybe several) they are mostly thinking that it is the job of someone other than them to actually spend money, time and effort trying to hold onto the very right that makes them able to buy those guns.

Yeah, I know. I am a scold. But it comes so easy when all it takes is for me to describe the truth. Truth you, I and most other guns owners know is true as we see it played out almost every week. Has played out that way for decades.
    well if the largest "gun rights" organization would quit compromising rights, and wasting money with frivilous mailings perhaps many more people would gladly join/rejoin.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaosrob

well if the largest "gun rights" organization would quit compromising rights, and wasting money with frivilous mailings perhaps many more people would gladly join/rejoin.

Yeah? Well then explain why few gun owners care enough about their rights to join the "second largest" gun rights organization? Or the third largest? Or the 4th largest?

I can tell you. It is because they are cheap and lazy and are always looking for ways to explain away their being cheap and lazy. Sometimes by blaming the very organizations that need their help fighting for your gun rights.
  • Options
    chaosrobchaosrob Member Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Yeah? Well then explain why few gun owners care enough about their rights to join the "second largest" gun rights organization? Or the third largest? Or the 4th largest?

I can tell you. It is because they are cheap and lazy and are always looking for ways to explain away their being cheap and lazy. Sometimes by blaming the very organizations that need their help fighting for your gun rights.
    you wont get a lot of argument out of me about that. I am contantly trying to provoke people to get involved and it rarely winds up with anything more than empty promises
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you wont get a lot of argument out of me about that. I am contantly trying to provoke people to get involved and it rarely winds up with anything more than empty promises

Please, ignore him and he will go away..................for a little while! Don