In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I bought another gun... again.

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well I was out and about with a wad of cash in a pocket (mistake #1). I was out and about after a bad breakup with money in my pocket and I'm a comfort shopper (mistake #2). I was in a store that sold firearms with enough money in my pocket to buy one (mistake #3).

Well there I was in acadamy sporting goods store. There it was sitting on the shelf looking back at me. A Henry Golden Boy .22lr Lever Action Tube Feed Rifle. There was my money in my pocket saying "Spend me, spend me." 5-minutes later there I was walking out the door with my new Rifle and $300 less money in my pocket.

I tell you what, I had been eyeballing them in the magazines, but I've super impressed. It looks even better in person than on paper. Usually its the other way around. The wood is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. The brass is flawlessly polished and shiney. And the blued finish is perfect. Then you throw the lever down. Its perfectly smooth. Feels like someone hand polished and tuned the action. None of my other lever rifles are as smooth as that, nore is the trigger as crisp and short. I about had to change my drawers the first time I cycled the action and squeezed the trigger. I used to think that they were a little high at $300 for a .22lr rifle, but now after I have one and have used it, I feel that it was an absolute bargin. Honestly, I think it compares up there with the CZ and Thompson Contender Classic Rimfire Rifles. Fit, finish, function, and accuracy are just all there five stars. I haven't actually grouped it but I was shooting cans behind my parents house with it at the back fence from the barn. But where I put the sight and squeezed the trigger, is the can the bullet hit. I was just beautiful. I started having day dreams like the little kid in that movie "The Christmas Story." The little kid with his red rider BB gun. But I had my henry golden boy. I mean just having a blast. I was shooting everything that was safe to shoot. Cans, bottles, ant beds, dirt dobber piles, horse poop, sticks, the neighbors cat....I mean, uh, did I say can and bottles...

Anyway, if you were looking at one of these, but wasn't sure about spending that kinda cash. All I can say is stop hesitating, and just buy it. You will love it.

Comments

• trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's just that sort of insane meta-logic that gets people into fiscal difficulties, impulse-buying firearms like that.

I should know---I'm making payments on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy lever-action in .45-70 that I just couldn't live without. So heed my example, the rest of you: RESTRAIN YOURSELVES!

Unless, of course, you're getting a really, really good price on the item in question.

Which I was, on the Marlin.

And besides, I didn't have a .45-70, so I really kinda needed one.

Plus which, I figure it can keep the .44 magnum Rossi lever-gun company too. You know, sort of like getting it a big brother.

And there was still some room in the safe, did I mention that?

And how do I know if I won't run into a grizzly bear some day? I think that adds to the practicality of such a purchase, don't you?

Why are you all looking at me like I'm crazy, and shaking your heads?
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    The Golden Boy does have a buttery action and good accuracy. Lots of fun and makes you feel like a marksman.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got the Standard .22LR Lever action and the Lever action .22 Mag and their pump .22 LR.The walnut furniture on all is excellant and the guns are great shooters.All but the .22 Mag will shoot shorts, Longs and Long Rifle ammo.For the money I think there a great gun.The pump model is very fun to shoot,I took a few Bushy tails with it last yr.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN (JUST ORDERED A WIN. 1895 IN .405). BY THE WAY THAT ISN'T SOLID BRASS, JUST BRASS PLATE OVER POT METAL SO BE CAREFUL WITH IT.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We know the feeling all to well in the last 2 weeks 4 new purchaces ruger p89, norinco sks, bushmaster ar15, and iver johnson m-1[:D]

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin