In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chevy Tranny Update to the Update

tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well, guys and gals.
I'm PI$$ED OFF to the MAX!!!!

As some of y'all may know, I had transmission problems with my Chevy 3/4 ton this past weekend. After alot of great suggestions from y'all I decided the way to fix her was to find a re-built tranny and have my local mechanic install it. The cost: $650 for the trans. and $300 for installation. That's reasonable.

The problem:
My mechanic installed it this morning. But, it only has a 1st. gear. The business I purchased the defective unit from offered to replace it. However, they refused to pay for the reinstallation of the second unit [another $300]. They finally said they would install it theirselves. But, I'd have to pay the towing [$105] to get my truck to their business. They would only guarantee their job for 30 days.
This was an unacceptable offer.
If the trans. would have been a good one to begin with I would have had my truck on the road this afternoon. As it is, I've had to rent a vehicle for my wife, find a transmission shop to fix my truck, persue a refund for the original purchase and incur mutiple more expenses I feel are due to the ineptitude of the transmission retailer.
This new shop won't have my truck ready until Thursday. The cost could be as high as $1700. It will have a 12 month warranty as opposed to a 30 day warranty from the original retailer.
My wife and I will file suit against this establishment in small claims court, contact the Better Business Bureau and the TEXAS Attorney Generals office.
Also, in the GREAT STATE of TEXAS, one may file for triple the damages.

SO............
Let's have some feed-back. I can take it!!!!

Tideman [Stewin' in TEXAS]

Comments

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Remember the Alamo!!!
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like i said before , deal with a GM dealer and this wont happen! I have had my share of dealing's with all kinds of mechanic shops around here. If you really want to get your truck fixed right the next time, give me a call and i will fix you up with my local mechanic. It may be a little driving for you, but you wont be screwed . Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I know how you feel!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deal with a Chevy dealer, ha!, thats a good one. I had a problem with mine and they put 3 weeks into it and couldnt figure it out, spend 700.00 in parts, and the problem was nothing they replaced.

DONT GET ME WRONG, I know its not all Chevy dealers, but I sure dont like the ones in my area.

"Never argue with an idiot.... They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

"I don't have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem."

Ryan
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep..I know what y'all mean!!

Tools..I ain't EVER forgetten the ALAMO!

It just pi$$es me off that you try to do business on a professional level with some of these folks and..it seems....they just don't give a DAMN about anything.

What ever happened to:

"Honesty.Integrity.Loyalty.Dependability.Service.Quality."

I guess the old addage is true.

"You get what you pay for".

If I was to have conducted my business the way this jerk has done when I was younger...my DAD would have knocked the SNOT outta' me [and rightly so]!

Tideman [ peeved in TEXAS]

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention the dealer will charge 3 times what it'll cost you. I hate transmission shops, I swear it is nearly impossible to find one that'll do you right. There's so much grey area on them, with engines if they don't work it's kinda hard to deny there's a problem the mechanics should have caught, but with tranny's it's a whole 'nother game. [:(!]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always been afraid of mechanic shops of anykind. 90% of them are just politicians that havnt moved up in the world yet. But i have a good one here where i live and i can trust them. As far as my own experience with transmission's , I got mine fixed for about $900.00 and i have been driving it ever since with no problems.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Does this mean we all have to come to your house for dinner tomorrow night for dinner instead of meeting at Manny's? [;)]
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you learned your lesson with GM. [}:)][:D]flame away[:D]

bigun2.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Been fighting the same thing here. The General Mgr here is penny wise & pound foolish..We have an old 209,000 miles 89 Silverado PU with the 700r4 (puke). The GM wanted to put in a used $500 transmission, well we went through 3 of them in a week, with a $300 labor charge each time to remove & replace the trans. SO far we are at $1400, we could have the transmission rebuilt for $1,100 with a 12mo/12,000 warranty.
    This morning the transmission slams into first & reverse, and at times sticks in 2nd.
    When you buy junk yard parts, you get junk! My 2cents
    Walte
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    You may be able to prevent all that trouble with court. Type a letter to the supplier explaining the sittuation and what they can do to make you happy. Explain if your request cannot be met, you will file with the local JP. Give them 7 days to come up with an agreement.
    Type a letter for the BBB,state attorny generals office, and possible attorney, explaining in detail the sittuation and disatifaction. Include a copy of this letter to the supplier explaining your intent to mail these copies to such if the problem is not resolved.
    I had an attorney that owed me money, and after several phone calls and attempts to collect (and being ignored), did the above and payment was quick.
    Make sure and note all conversations,times,dates, receipts and keep this in a file.
    Make sure you follow through on all accounts.
    *This proceedure was directed to me by my attorney and his advise. 9 times out of 10- it resolves the matter.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck if your close by me dallas,texas area i would have come over and helped you put it in its easy takes about an hour out and 1 and a half hours in you could have put a junk yard trans in that they knew was good for about 150. I would have took the cheap way out myself .quote:Originally posted by tideman
    Well, guys and gals.
    I'm PI$$ED OFF to the MAX!!!!

As some of y'all may know, I had transmission problems with my Chevy 3/4 ton this past weekend. After alot of great suggestions from y'all I decided the way to fix her was to find a re-built tranny and have my local mechanic install it. The cost: $650 for the trans. and $300 for installation. That's reasonable.

The problem:
    My mechanic installed it this morning. But, it only has a 1st. gear. The business I purchased the defective unit from offered to replace it. However, they refused to pay for the reinstallation of the second unit [another $300]. They finally said they would install it theirselves. But, I'd have to pay the towing [$105] to get my truck to their business. They would only guarantee their job for 30 days.
    This was an unacceptable offer.
    If the trans. would have been a good one to begin with I would have had my truck on the road this afternoon. As it is, I've had to rent a vehicle for my wife, find a transmission shop to fix my truck, persue a refund for the original purchase and incur mutiple more expenses I feel are due to the ineptitude of the transmission retailer.
    This new shop won't have my truck ready until Thursday. The cost could be as high as $1700. It will have a 12 month warranty as opposed to a 30 day warranty from the original retailer.
    My wife and I will file suit against this establishment in small claims court, contact the Better Business Bureau and the TEXAS Attorney Generals office.
    Also, in the GREAT STATE of TEXAS, one may file for triple the damages.

SO............
    Let's have some feed-back. I can take it!!!!

Tideman [Stewin' in TEXAS]

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin