In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is this true?

2»

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to add what's already been said. . .yes, nicotine is a powerful poison (and natural insecticide). . .it does work.

If you could somehow get all the nicotine from one pack of cigarettes injected into you in one shot, you'd drop dead on the spot. . .fortunately your body detoxifies the stuff literally between puffs.

But the amount described in the original question is NOWHERE NEAR the amount necessary to make 640 gallons of toxic pesticide, nor would a dilution that low be enough to endanger small animals, etc.
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm the only skeptic one here. I chewed a can of copenhagen a day for years. Never even got dizzy. Your saying that this concoction of a half a handful diluted out into 640 gallons is going to be a danger to small animals and birds, no freagin way.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used it for years on my wife's roses,learned it from her grandfather,my brew is a whole pack of RedMan in a metal 5 gallon gas can 3/4 full of water,set it out in the sun for a couple weeks with the lid on,smells horrible,spray it on heavy,kills aphids and all the other little critters on the roses without any damage to the plants,looks like it might even help some with the black spot you get on roses,I get very very little
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ghotie- One drop of pure nicotine can be considered a lethal dose for the average man. Dip, or ciggarrettes dilute the nicotine to extremely low doses. But if your an ant and your body gets covered with a complete mixture of nicotine that has been in some manner refined out of tobbacco I would expect it would end the ants' life. I would belive you could pretty easily find a mixture that would kill ants.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling