In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Suggestions for a .40 S&W for under $500

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
What is everyones personal suggestion, for a CCW gun, under $500 (or something close to $500 if you really feel strongly about it), .40 S&W, something that isn't too bulky (gotta be able to conceal it easily).

So far I'm thinking either a Springfield XD, Magnum Research Baby Eagle, or a Glock 23.

I won't be buying it for another year, but im trying to do my research now. What I like about the XD is the extra safety features.

www.ammoday.com
bulletline.gif

Comments

• greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I've always been a fan of Brownings. Love mine in 9mm and 40 S&W. But, I shot a Star 40 S&W the other week and I gotta say I was impressed with how it shot, felt and looked. It had what was called a starvel finish. It fired 3 different types of ammo flawlessly and grouped very nicely. No flyers, regardless, how fast or slowly I fired and was smaller than my Browning. May be worth a look - these things sell for under $300.[:)]

the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    How about a SIG or HK...on sale!
    I "think" around $300-$400, their flyer is at home in the reading room.
    http://cdnninvestments.com/
    Walte
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GLOCK 27

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a sig 229 can be had for about that used. a sig 2340 can be had brand new for that..there are 2 on the auction one is new and is $459 and the other i saw is used for $350..bought my mom a s&w 4043 for around $350 used,its a decent shooter but lacks in accuracy

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a Glock 23 for about 4 years now and it's great. I carry it concealed all the time. I've heard bad things about the Baby Eagle. My dad has a Gock 27 and I think it is kinda small and the recoil from the 40 makes it harder to handle than the 23.

Greatest is he who serves justice with humility.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 29 --- Yeah, it's a 10mm (but if you really desire, you can drop in a .40 S&W barrel for cheaper plinking), but why not have the more powerful 10mm since the guns are about the same price and size?

On a cheaper note, I'd take the E.A.A. Witness...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have some good ideas there, to which I might add a Browning Hi-Power in .40, and a Taurus Millenium, one of the best values going these days at around $350. Of course, there is no doubt a Witness Compact in .40 as well, in several versions. I'm not sure what the CZ model number is for the .40 caliber, but that would also be on my list.

It's very hard to beat the compact Glocks. I've had a G23 and a G27. I added G23 hi-cap mags to my G27 with A&G collars to make the grip long enough for all my fingers. Both were good guns, but the G23 is probably ideal without the extras. Glocks are in your price range at gun shows, even though they are going too high at some dealers' shops. Gander wants over $600 here for new Glocks -- and people in * want ice water....

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg Life Member - fortbutton2.gif
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Witness .40 cal. You'll save a lot of money and Quality is quite good.
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most shooting 40cal I have done is with a range rental SigPro.I preffer Glocks but this model Sig can be had for $400 when on sale and a very fine gun for the money it appears to be.As far as recoil,less than my Gov 45s,not any noticably greater than any of my 9mms.

CW

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Kahr K40, Glock 23, CZ 40b

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post about the Star is right on. I have had several Firestars in 9mm or .40. All shot very well and would work with whatever you put in them. I agree the .40 is a good bet for carry. Only drawback I see to the Star is they are all steel making them a little heavier. Doesn't keep me from having a Starvel Firestar in .40 for a backup - even has nite sites on it and with extended finger extension mag feels great. Anyway, my .02 [8D]

0.jpg
    When they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
  • bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at aimsurplus.com and they had some police trade in Glocks & S&W's in .40cal. I think the Glocks were under $400 and the S&W's were under $300. I carry a Glock 33 myself. It's not a .40 but the G27 is the same size, but in .40.

"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith,1787.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Sig P-239 in 40S&W close to $515 + shipping budsgunshop.com
    I've seen them cheaper in the CDNN Investments catalogue
    (not online, but you can download the catalogue online)

S&W 410 $420 + shipping budsgunshop.com (but I'd take a 908S)

Firestorm Mini in 40S&W...Just bought a LNIB in nickel for $250

LLama LLA LL10400 MINI-MAX 40SW 7RD MAT $240.94 Don't know anything about them.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the money, although I try not to be "cheap" when it comes to my personal carry firearms, I would buy a Taurus tracker 7 Shot .357 mag. 2'' bbl, ported. Stainless you should be able to pick it up about $375, titanium closer to $500. I say it every time concealed carry guns come up on the board, so I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, but this is the wrong place to want a cheap gun. $500 can get you a number of quality guns. You mentioned the Baby Eagle, I don't own one but a buddy of mine does, as well as my nieghbor. One in .45 (buddy) one in .40 (neighbor) I'd say that's a nice choice, they're good shooters, I like the feel and the sight picture, but a bit bulky for everyday carry, everywhere you go. The other two guns you mentioned lots of people say good things about both of them, I just don't care for polymer frames, and DAO autos. I don't base that off anything except my personal opionion though.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller