In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need some advice, Please.

oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I really feel stupid about this but I have finally decided I would see what sort of useful advice I could get from this forum. Here goes!! Sometime within the last 12 to 18 months I have lost a pistol. (I have been putting off asking this out of embarrassment for about 4-5 months.) When I travel, I usually take one with me. I usually put it under a pillow in the motel room. Well, I think, but I am not absolutely positive, I left one in a motel. I called the ones I remembered staying at but no luck. Don't have a "warm fuzzy" about one of the motels but they said it is not there. I was thinking about it and was concerned about liability along with some manner of possible recovery if the finder tries to sell or pawn it where the police check SNs. I don't usually take the same pistol everytime and this resulted in the delay in my identifying the loss. Please be kind in your comments I feel bad enough as it is. Thanks.

Comments

• bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the room cleaning lady/man has a new handgun.[B)]

Sorry for your loss.[:(]

It will probably never turn up.

But you never know, stranger things have happened.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Report it as lost/stolen to your local PD. In your report, give the names and addresses of the hotels you stayed at and the dates.

You might also ask your local boys to pass the info on to the PD's in the hotel jusisdictions.

That's about all you can do really. Once it goes on NCIC if it ever gets back into commerce, it should be flagged.

I will leave off the Smart * comments. My pop left a Walther PP (not a joke!) in a resturant crapper one time, so I know it happens.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Double check everywhere else first, I've lost guns for months at a time, and it's been weeks or even months before I noticed, but as best as my memory serves me, I've never lost one for good.
    If you have the serial number written down, that would be a good thing. If you never DROS'd the gun then it should be just a loss that you live with. Here in Ca. you can fill out a form that is basically a release of interest on a firearm. I've never done it so I dont' know if it's a federal form or not. I'd also buy a replacement. I'd just chalk it up to life, and move on.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Skyking. Get the SerNo into the NCIC system so if it ever pops up the weasel who was so dishonest as to not turn it in will get their just reward.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    You MUST turn in the serial number. If it shows up later you can call and be embarrassed telling them you found it. But sooner or later it will show up at a pawn shop or in the hands of a criminal who gets caught. You get it back then as it is yours. Besides if someone did take it they need to be caught with it.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Report it lost with the serial number and be sure to give them AN ESTIMATE of the earliest date on which it was no longer in your possession. Then, if you ever do find it, DON'T forget to call the PD and candel the lost/stolen report, or you'll be run in for carrying your own gun. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the comments. I appreciate your thoughts. Pretty much what I figured I should do. Thanks again.

Life is Tough!
    It's Tougher if
    You're Stupid

Perspective:
    1 Million Seconds = about 11 days.
    1 Billion Seconds = about 32 years
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully this was in your own state? Some states take a dim view of interstate transport.

He Dog
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would turn it in to the PD as stolen since you dont know for sure. If it gets picked up by the PD someday you will get it back. Its OK to tell them you don't know when or where it was stolen since you dont.

You might also turn it in as a claim to your insurance company after you have filed the police report. They might pay for it.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    we live and we learn. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I told you about the dumb thing I did one time with a pistol in a bank bag you would feel like a genius. So Im not going to tell you.[B)]