In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornaday Light Magnum ammo ????

benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Has anybody had experience with this ammo. Below is a clip from an advertisement my friend sent me.

Hornady Light MagnumT Rifle Ammunition
Hornady's Light MagnumT ammunition provides more energy, flatter trajectory and up to 200 fps faster velocities than standard ammo without the additional heat or pressure associated with conventional magnums. A special cool-burning powder and a new loading technique make it possible. Made with premium Hornady bullets with the original Interlock ring.

My friend is suggesting I get some for my 30-06 so I can have a 30-06 magnum, so he says. I am not one for trying something new without asking others who have already tried it.

This subject may have been discussed already but I dont get to check the forum every day. If its been discussed please excuse me.

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you just use your .375 single-shot?

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • 1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have not tried it but i donot think it will be any better than regular ammo. 30-06 is powerful enough.
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    quote:special cool-burning powder

I'd really like to see this...how cool is that?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greeker, The ad is from a Cabella catalog. Another guy said the powder is one that exclusively used by Hornaday and is not available to the public. Thats hard to believe but maybe its true. My experience with new ammos like this has not been the best for accuracy, but perhaps this is different since its by Hornaday. They are reputable folks. They also do their homework before putting something new out.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used thier light mags in my .300 win mag. However, thier 150 grain BTSP bullet fired from thier "custom" line flies better than thier 180 grain light mag (the lightest offering for .300 mag).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambihunter, Thanks for the input. I have an old Springfield that does not like most ammos I have tried. 3" groups is about average. What it likes best is 150 gr. Winchester Supreme with their Lubalox black oxide coating. I get 1.5" groups with it. I am always trying to find ammo that will shoot well in the rifle. I will give the Hornaday Light Magnums a try and let you know the results. Thanks again.