In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Assault Weapons! How Many Use For Hunting?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
One of the arguments that the anti-freedom crowd and some gun owners make for banning "assault" weapons and renewing the AWB is that you cannot use them for deer hunting or hunting in general. I just got an ear full of that from some of the fellows at breakfast this morning down at the diner, all hunters and shooters. "You shoot a deer with one of those things and there will be nothing left", was one of the newer reasonings I heard this morning.

So, who all on this board hunts or has hunted with firearms that fall within the "assault weapon" catagory? If so, what type of firearm and was it's use for the hunting application practical?

If you don't mind I would like to copy the replies to show the fellows tomorrow morning as some type of evidence that so called "assault weapons" are used for hunting.

I have taken coyotes with the Mini-14 and M1 carbine.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Comments

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot crows, groundhogs and a couple deer with my Bushmaster and given my ammo choice(THE BUSHMASTER AR 15 LOOKALIKE SHOOTS .223!!) it did no more damge to the deer than a bolt action 223.

If one uses an AK 47 to shoot a deer they will be using ammo that has less power than a 30-06 and is not as accurate as a cheap deer rifle, an SKS is the same way, same ammo as the AK. The Ar15s (you know like what the DC sniper used) fires a .223 shell and for most hunters a 223 is not a good choice for deer? Why? Limited range and power, you as hunters should know that.

The only dang difference between a so called "asault weapon" and a sporting rifle is the rate of fire and appearance, in most cases they fire ammo that cannot compare to a deer rifle. Most deer rifles are more accurate, shoot further and use more powerfull ammo than a so called "assault weapon"

I would like to ask, what kind of cars do you own? Will your car go over the speed of 65MPH which is the maximum speed limit in PA? Why do you own such a car if you do not need to drive over 65? You say because that is what you wanted? But it is capable of speeding and you don't need it, we should ban all cars capable of speeding becuase you may break the speed limit! Sounds dumb don't it? so does banning assault weapons! You bought your car because that is what you wanted, it will do things you may never want to do with it but you still bought it because that is what you wanted. You know more people die in cars every year then die by gun shots? More people are killed each year by drunk drivers then by gun shots! We don't ban certain cars for what they are capable of and cars kill more people than guns so why would you want to take something away from somebody that bought it for the same reasons you bought your car? A gun is a gun just like a car is just a car. Guns are bought for personal preference as per the likes of the purchaser, not need. Would you like it if a law was passed stating that no cars can be sold with anything larger than a 4cyl engine, no overdrive, no turbo and will be goverend at say, 70MPH? That would drive you nuts wouldn't it?

Gunpaq, is that ok for you to print or did I do as usual and get carried away?[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken a buck and doe with my AR15 and another buck with my SKS. That will probably be the last as I've finally got my self a decent bolt action for hunting.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen people use Ar types for varminting and I dont know if you would call it an assault rifle but I have seen a couple of people deer and boar hunt with a SKS.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took 3 deer this year with my M1A. Is that considered an "assault" weapon?

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i don't hunt but a friend from work has been getting deer for the last 10 years with an ak47.

7mm nut, that is a good answer. I will have to use that one.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since when does the 2nd amendment have anything to do with hunting? Why would anyone in support of gun rights agree to use the "hunting standard" as a litmus test for what guns should or should not be banned?

I don't know the numbers but I would bet that the number of gun owners/collectors far outnumbers the number of hunters who are gun owners. That said who the hell are hunters to tell anyone what guns are and aren't enjoyable to shoot and collect. These hunters who are quick to bargain away other gun owners rights will bring gun ownership down faster than the anti's ever could.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a huge fan of most of the military style Guns myself, just because my gun intersets go in another direction BUT I have killed more than a few Deer with my trusty Mini-30 and Bunches of WoodChucks with it aswell.What these Hunters and shooters dont
    understand is they are FUNCTIONALY no differnt from all the Remington 7400's and browning BAR's that are extremely popular in the deer woods.If you dont do your part to help stop the Ban on AK-47's
    (or any Firearm) down the road they WILL come for your self loading deer rifles
    and Bolt action "sniper" rifles, They dont get the big picture[:(!]

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've taken a single deer with a SKS, but one of our hunting partners has used a sporterized SKS for 10 years now. He bought it originally because it was cheap and would get him in the field with us, but with the mild recoil and inexpensive ammo he feels he practices more and thus is a better shot over what he'd be with a more powerful cartridge.

I've used the Saiga .410 before rabbit hunting. Since it's based on the AK-47 design and uses detachable mags I'd say it'd be classified as an AW.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While we're on the subject, I'd like to point out that there's no real legitimate sporting purpose in having a swimming pool. Swimming pools kill more kids than guns do, and more importantly, are RECOGNIZED BY LAW as ATTRACTIVE NUISANCES.

I'll be over in an hour with a couple of sticks of dynamite and a cement truck to take care of your pool. Can't allow menaces like that to exist in a peaceful neighborhood, you know.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a bunch of bullcrap. Nothing left my butt. First of all, these stupid liberals need to realize an "assault weapon" is not a machine gun! So, lets say you shoot a deer with an "assault rifle" for example, an AR-15. Which uses the 5.56 (.223). Okay, it puts a hole in it.

Then I shoot the deer with my NEF Handi Rifle, a harmless single shot rifle, which is a .223

OH MY GOD! The hole is the same exact size and the assault weapon didn't do any more damage then the harmless little hunting rifle!

But if you explained this to these stupid libs, itd give them a reason to ban ALL guns.. [:(!][:(!][V][}:)][:(!][xx(]

Assault Weapon: A semi-automatic rifle that has a few EXTREMELY LETHAL AND GRUESOME features, such as a PISTOL GRIP! (goodness, thats horrific!).. a FLASH SUPRESSOR (oh my God those things are so deadly cuz you cant see where the shooter is, holy crap were better off without those deadly items that suppress flash!).. and BAYONET MOUNTS! (Studies have shown that after the AW Ban of 1994, death by bayonet was at 0, while prior to the AW Ban, death by bayonet was.. ughhh.. 0.. unless you count the revolutionary war.. those damn brits and their bayonets!)[:D]

By the way, I would rather have hunting be illegal than guns be illegal. The 2nd was made so people could protect themselves, not only from the typical criminal, but also from their own government.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    We should ban baseball bats... sure, most people that use them use them to play baseball, for recreational purposes. But its worth it to ban them, if it saves just one life! [:D]
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote:

"The 2nd was made so people could protect themselves, not only from the typical criminal, but also from their own government."

And it's beginning to look as if the time is drawing nigh...
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Convincing the anti-gun/freedom politicians and people is secondary to cinvincing fellow gun owners that the AWB renewal violates American 2nd Ammendment rights and that "Assault Weapons" is a bogus
    political term used to demonize semi-automatic and military style firearms.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My mini-30 is very Coyote Friendly.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    One of the arguments that the anti-freedom crowd and some gun owners make for banning "assault" weapons and renewing the AWB is that you cannot use them for deer hunting or hunting in general. I just got an ear full of that from some of the fellows at breakfast this morning down at the diner, all hunters and shooters.

This just proves some Americans have been brainwashed more than they realize by anti-gun propaganda. Ask these guys to show you where, in the Second Amendment, there is a reference to "hunting" or "sporting purpose." If they can find one, I'll eat my hat.

If the Second Amendment protects ANYTHING AT ALL, it protects the people's right to THOSE VERY GUNS NOW BEING BANNED with such great glee. Militia-style guns for the people, so they may participate personally in "the security of a free state." Find me a rabbit or a quail in the Second Amendment and I'll resign the NRA tomorrow, because there ain't no further point in fighting because the politicians on the left are "willing to let us keep" 3-round goose guns and six-shooters. I guess it's all just a gift from our government then, our right to keep a few arms for sport only....

What a sad day when we can't even connect the content of the Second Amendment to this rampant infringement anymore. If there were 40,000 laws infringing the First Amendment throughout the 50 states and banning certain input from overseas, the media would start another civil war....

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's STILL happening. Guys on this forum using the PC term "assault weapon" to describe a weapon the no more than semi-atuo function.

The military describes an Assault Rifle as (and I paraphrase) a medium powered, shoulder fired weapon that has "FULLY AUTOMATIC" capability.
    "Machine Gun" (again I paraphrase) a fully automatic weapon that fires a rifle cartridge.

Ruger270man....Maybe I misunderstood your post and I don't mean to pee in your Wheaties but, an "Assault Rifle" is, in fact, a machine gun.

Mudge the Class III guy

Gunpaq...the guys that you were overhearing are either ignorant or stupid. They probably know only what they think they need to know about whatever it is they shoot and couldn't care less about any firearms they don't own. If they don't know any more about firearms that what it appears, I come down on the side of stupid.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
    edited November -1
    Mudge, whenever I think of it I try to say it like this, "so called 'assault weapon'", I try to say it sarcasticly, however you spell the word that means smart * mannered[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ive gone bunny hunting with a mini-14 does that count

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will say this here too.

I said nothing when they took our right to have a bazooka or howitzer.
    I did not have one.
    I said nothing when they took our right to have a machine gun.
    I did not have one.
    I said nothing when they took our right to have an assault rifle.
    I did not have one.
    I said nothing when they took our right to have a handgun.
    I did not have one.
    OH MY GAWD...They are coming to take our HUNTING rifles.
    Please will someone help me?
    Why didn't somebody say something to stop this?

They have made it VERY clear that they want ALL your guns.
    At what point WILL you say something?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've taken my SKS a few times.Haven't shot anything with it yet,but that's just because I haven't seen anything to shoot at.[:(]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
    edited November -1
    I repeat, the whole connection the liberals have tried to pound into us between gun rights and hunting or sport is purely imaginary and designed to divert you to debate something that doesn't have any relevance. It's sleight of hand, folks. If they can get you to agree that the only protected guns must have a hunting or sporting purpose or else, they win. Re-read the Amendment. It's not in there.

That's why they assert that the 2nd Amendment only applies to the National Guard. If they can get you to believe that it does NOT apply to YOU as an individual, then YOU have NO lawful gun RIGHTS at all, do you? Nope. None. Nada. Then the feds can make any law they want to and tell the states to fall in line. And you're screwed royally, guys. Have you seen the new drafts of the AWB lately? They are now talking about banning ALL SEMI-AUTOS. Hard to believe? I know; it sure sat me up straight. And some gun owners apparently believe they have no protection from that. Before you decide a new AWB is no big deal -- read what they are proposing folks. Read what they are proposing.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

edited November -1
    offeror, do you have a link to the new AWB proposal?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    ruger270man has hit the nail on the head. It amazes me how often I hear people, even gun-toting, so-called, hunters/shooters, talk about "assault weapons", calling them "machine guns". The key is education. Take an idiot out shooting, and educate them. Make sure this is a "voting" idiot.[:D][:D]

guesswhich.html

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the hell is an assault weapon anyway?

Could be a hammer, could be an ice pick?

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Machine gun COULD be used as an assault weapon but my assault weapon CANNOT be used as a machine gun. Confused?
    edited November -1
    Here are links to two versions of the new bill proposed and sent to Judicial Committee. Also a couple of pretty good links to sites concerned with AWB matters. There are lots more.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.2038:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.1431:

http://saysuncle.com/archives/000923.html

http://www.awbansunset.com/

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use my AR to hunt groundhogs or my M1 to shoot a deer or my Ruger mini 30 to hunt hogs or my... or my...
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 2nd Amendment had and has nothing to do with sporting or hunting use.How many deer tags,etc. were for sale when it was written? It was written so that we the people could bear arms and defend ourselves against future opressive govt. that acted the way the English did to our forefathers. It shouldn't matter what your weapon of choice is as long as you are responsible with it. If you are not,then you should be held personally responsible for your actions.We should not all have to pay the price of losing even a small amount of our personal freedom to choose and own what we want because of the small number of criminals that use them in a bad way. If you want one, all the reason you should need is that you want one and that should be enough, unless you become a criminal too. Then you should be treated like what you are.-- The other reason we should be able to own what we want is that we should have weapons that are comparable to what the military has in the case of war or terrorist attack on our homeland, or God forbid, our own Govt. becomes to oppressive.They wouldn't have much to fear if all we have is muzzleloaders and they have assault weapons.--I believe there is some language in Artical 17 about us having comparable weapons as the govt. but it escapes me right now.-- I don't want to see the people throwing rocks at tanks the way I watched those people in China doing,or the way the Poles had to do in Eastern Europe.-- As far as hunting with these type weapons goes, all they need to do is say you have to use a 5 round clip for hunting and leave the high capacity ones at home for self defense purposes.That would end most of the argument about how many times do you need to shoot a deer, etc. That would render them no more dangerous than traditional semi-auto hunting guns like the BAR and the Remington Semi-autos. And just because you have a full clip of ammo doen't mean you are going to use them all.You can shoot once and stop.--If they want to use that mentality,why do most of them need a bolt action that holds four or five rounds? Ask them if it's ok with them if the next thing they do is outlaw everything but single shots for hunting. After all, if you shoot a deer four or five times there is not much meat left either!! -- If you give these anti-gunners an inch they will take a mile and keep coming back for more until they have them all. That's what they want.--The other thing they don't consider is the price.There are alot of people do to various reasons that cannot afford an expensive gun,and if all a family can afford is one of these but it gets some young hunters out in the field with family and friends and teaches them to be responsible and keeps them off the streets and out of trouble I see them as a positive, not a negative.-- What they do when they outlaw "Saturday Night Specials" and SKSs, etc. is deprive some honest people the ability to defend themselves because they can't afford quality weapons and most live in neighborhoods and areas that have high crime rates and lots of bad people.It doesn't affect criminals because they are already aquiring their guns through illegal means. All it does is hurt the honest person.-- If we all had the security that people like Sen. Diane Feinstein and Sen.Edward Kennedy have, we wouldn't need to worry about the bad guys as much either. Of course they are against guns for us, but their personal security people can carry them and have been caught with them by the way.They obviously think they are much more important and better than we are, but I don't think so. That's what the British Govt. folks thought too.I don't think our forefathers agreed with it either.-- To me the argument just boils down to this: Why do we have to give up ANY of our freedoms.They are protected Constitutionally.They wrote them in order. #1 is freedom of speech so you could talk things out first. #2 is the right to keep and bear arms so you could defend your rights when words wouldn't do.-- The next time you talk to some of these people talking about relieving some of your personal freedoms, ask them how they will like it when they start telling them they can't sit at the cafe and say what they want and start intruding on their rights. Same thing goes for all the anti-gun media people.Just tell them they can't say, write or report what they want and see if they don't scream bloody murder about their rights being protected constitutionally.-- So are ours.-- And the only reason the Constitution doesn't say we can keep these kind of specific weapons is that all the British and our Reveloutionary fighters had were muzzleloaders and such.They were the best weapons of that era. If there would have been the type of weapons we have available now, they would have wanted us to have them too.
    I guess I'm over my rant now......have a good day.....[8D]
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Prairie dogs, coyotes and I can legally use mine even hunting elk(7.62x39) Use it when I'm timberbashing for elk.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    There wasn't really such a thing as sport hunting in America at the time of the writing of the Constitution so how could anyone say that it applied to that? And if it didn't then , why should it now? If the government was smart they would've issued every law abiding head of a household with a surplus Garand,a Rem 700 in 30/06 with a scope,a 1911 45cal and a mandatory 5,000 rounds a year that must be shot up. No other country in the world would mess with us and most violent crime would be a thing of the past.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    quote:The 2nd Amendment had and has nothing to do with sporting or hunting use.How many deer tags,etc. were for sale when it was written? It was written so that we the people could bear arms and defend ourselves against future opressive govt. that acted the way the English did to our forefathers.

Is there an echo in here? Good. [:D] And of course any government attempt to limit such a free citizenry to inferior arms only should rightly be viewed as flaunting the Constitution and setting the people up for enslavement from within or without -- and would of course be in direct violation of the Second Amendment, in spirit and in fact.

bigdaddy -- DARN sharp suggestion, which is why the govt. hasn't considered such a thing... They could easily provide those Garands and 1911s free of charge other than maybe shipping, too.

• GhostCatGhostCat Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took my CETME .308 hunting this year but didn't see anything to shoot.

GhostCat
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge
    Ruger270man....Maybe I misunderstood your post and I don't mean to pee in your Wheaties but, an "Assault Rifle" is, in fact, a machine gun.

When I referred to an assault weapon, I meant the guns that are covered under the AW Ban. I realize they are not really "assault weapons", so I always try to put quotes around it. Even real assault weapons, full auto mp5's, m-16s, shouldn't be restricted to class III's, and should be just as available as a bolt action rifle.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The second ammendment doesn't have anything to do with hunting. The founding fathers drafted the second because the mere threat of an armed populace will keep domestic tyrants in line. The gun-control crowd knows this - and they can't dare to have the FBI, ATF, or any other federal authority outgunned.

But this lies at the heart of what the 2nd was all about. During the debate over the ratification of the US Constitution, the Federalists demanded a Bill of Rights be inserted with a clause allowing every American to keep military-style weapons in his home. These words were spoken by prominant Federalist Noah Webster - "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

The intent of the founding fathers is very clear. Ninja-suited ATF agents and jack-booted thugs are not the people that the second defends. Rather, the second was supposed to defend the rights of the citizens of this country to protect themselves and thier property from an over-reaching, tyrannical government. Again, it's got nothing to do with hunting.