In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Paversetting crew(project update)

pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Rainday and my labor called in last night. My other guys are busy with other projects. My two oldest sons were ready at 5:30 this morning to come out and help daddy pay the rent[:D]

These two young men moved 24,000 pounds of pavers in 7.5 hours.

If it wasn't for these two I could not have got 800sq.ft. of pavers in today.

I am very proud of these young men!

P5130125.jpg
Pietro trying his hand at setting. He did well
P5130126.jpg
P5130127.jpg
This is the start of a 10,000 sq.ft driveway and patio with in floor boiler heat
P5130123.jpg

Stocked and layed 2,928 sq ft. 32 pallets of pavers total weight of 96,000 pounds
P5220011.jpg

P5220010.jpg

I sure could use some help
P5220009.jpg
I got quite a bit left to do!

Comments

• brickmaster1248brickmaster1248 Member Posts: 3,344
    edited November -1
    Nice pics! Being a brick block and stone mason I can appreciate all the work involved in that job. Hard to find dependable good help for you to huh? Tell them boys good job!
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Good for you and them. Good to see you instilling a good work ethic in 'em.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    [:)] good job Pete, on the drive............ but more on the kids ya should be very proud [^]

Ice Cream at least should be in order! [:D]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,027 ******
    edited November -1
    Couldn't keep the big dog from walking in the sand, huh?[8D]
    Good looking job, fine looking young men.[:D]
    Is that a dry-stack wall in the background?
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    They all like to work. That is one of the things that my father passed on to me and they are following the tradition.

I told them all the sky is the limit, you can do anything you put your mind to. I also told them they will know masonry. They will carry this skill with them throughout their life and once a guy labors for any amount of time everything else in life is easier.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    WTG! It's good to see some young guys working! Too many of them are sitting on their butts these days.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Couldn't keep the big dog from walking in the sand, huh?[8D]
    Good looking job, fine looking young men.[:D]
    Is that a dry-stack wall in the background?

Thank you! Yes, engineered drystack wall back there

P5130122.jpg
    I hurried to get them down so that King TJ could roam around on them.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    very nice...dont forget to get your deposit back on that shep pallet...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xxx97
    very nice...dont forget to get your deposit back on that shep pallet...

Yeah I think they just went up to 16.00 a piece.
    edited November -1
    Peter....Have you ever heard of their being any problems with the boiler heating lines under the pavers? I would assume that they are just under the surface of the sand? I was wondering if there was enough movement in the pavers over time to damage the lines?

Beautiful work! I'm still wondering if it's Cabinet Gorge Stone.?.?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice work, and pics.
    With kids you have a right to be proud of. [:D]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Lucky guy. Last guys I hired, I wish I had a bull whip and a cattle *.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Peter....Have you ever heard of their being any problems with the boiler heating lines under the pavers? I would assume that they are just under the surface of the sand? I was wondering if there was enough movement in the pavers over time to damage the lines?

Sorry Eric, yes it is Cabinet Gorge from Overman's, corners are tough to come by but the colors are great. I haven't heard of any probs. w/ the tubes. They are wired down to the grids pretty well.

Terry Simioni is the installer and never had problems w/ it. We have a very hard base then the wire mats then covered w/ 3"-4" of corse sand I then compact meade sand over top of them.

Also the concrete curbs we put in are going to make a big difference in stability. I would not trust edge restraint with all these transitions.

PS You busy for the next two weeks? wanna try and blow out your back and knees w/ me? still about 3,500 sq. ft to go[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Sorry Eric, yes it is Cabinet Gorge from Overman's, corners are tough to come by but the colors are great. I haven't heard of any probs. w/ the tubes. They are wired down to the grids pretty well.

Terry Simioni is the installer and never had problems w/ it. We have a very hard base then the wire mats then covered w/ 3"-4" of corse sand I then compact meade sand over top of them.

Also the concrete curbs we put in are going to make a big difference in stability. I would not trust edge restraint with all these transitions.

PS You busy for the next two weeks? wanna try and blow out your back and knees w/ me? still about 3,500 sq. ft to go[:D]

Interesting...Do you have any idea as to how quickly the heating system will melt off the snow? I've seen it used in concrete drives, but never with pavers.[8D]

I can hook you up with Paul Overman to purchase your stone at the Contractor's rate (which would be less than you are probably currently paying) for jobs outside of this area...but he would not want to compete with his suppliers on local jobs. I'm running equipment for him right now.

I know a local guy that might be willing to come down and work if the $$$ was right...He's a local builder and his work is slacking off...he's a young guy...seems to have some drive.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like someones economy is doing pretty good
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read your other thread about the kid who didn't show up. I had no idea it was your own place. Congrats on a job well done with the driveway and raising some hard working kids!!
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    nice job!
    where is the house located? what lake is that in the background?
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    nice job!
    tom

I think this project is on Lake Couer d'Alene...in Couer d'Alene ID. All of that stone comes from the surface mine I work at...which is near Clark Fork ID. I dig it out of the mountain, run it through a screening plant, where the building stone is separated from the gravel and 3"...and it is then trucked down to the rock stackers that actually go through every rock and hand cut the rocks that are worthy to be sold as building stone. These guys then stack the rock on pallets and it's sold all over the country.

BTW...my boss is a true rags to riches story...and has an 8th grade education.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    [:)] good job Pete, on the drive............ but more on the kids ya should be very proud [^]

Ice Cream at least should be in order! [:D]

+1, but I'm thinking steak for the young'uns
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know this is EXACTLY what aggrivates me about my situation. Here I am with all the time in the world and NO MONEY to put toward these kinds of things!!! When I get going again I know I will have money again.....but NO time! I have several areas that reaaaaally need attending. I would LOVE to get some stone and lay it down. My areas are smaller, so I could "probobly" handle it myself.

That is one very nice looking job....and VERY cute boys! They are lucky to have someone like you to teach them. Amazing work there.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    quote:I think this project is on Lake Couer d'Alene...in Couer d'Alene ID. All of that stone comes from the surface mine I work at...which is near Clark Fork ID.

great looking stone!
    I just tore up my patio that was that cheap red cement pavers and i'm looking for stone like yours.
    how much of a $$ premium is it compared to other stone pavers?
    edited November -1
    nice job!
    tom

I think this project is on Lake Couer d'Alene...in Couer d'Alene ID. All of that stone comes from the surface mine I work at...which is near Clark Fork ID. I dig it out of the mountain, run it through a screening plant, where the building stone is separated from the gravel and 3"...and it is then trucked down to the rock stackers that actually go through every rock and hand cut the rocks that are worthy to be sold as building stone. These guys then stack the rock on pallets and it's sold all over the country.

Small world huh Eric!
    I have purchased over 800 tons of stone from Overman's in the last 2 1/2 years. Wish I'd a met you sooner!
    He's good people, I had a run of some stone that just wasn't up to quality Paul came down to meet me replaced the bad pallets and sent me 3 more on him.

As you know each pallet has a # so he knows who stacked the pallet for quality control.
    edited November -1
    quote:I think this project is on Lake Couer d'Alene...in Couer d'Alene ID. All of that stone comes from the surface mine I work at...which is near Clark Fork ID.

great looking stone!
    I just tore up my patio that was that cheap red cement pavers and i'm looking for stone like yours.
    how much of a $$ premium is it compared to other stone pavers?

I get those pavers I get for 2.50 a sq ft. they are a concrete product.
    edited November -1
    quote:I get those pavers I get for 2.50 a sq ft. they are a concrete product.

that's not bad!
    I wonder what it would cost me retail?
    and then there's the shipping to kansas.....[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PanzerSlayer2
    I read your other thread about the kid who didn't show up. I had no idea it was your own place. Congrats on a job well done with the driveway and raising some hard working kids!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding, This is not my house, only one that I have been working for awhile, I am just a poor little mason in a big world of masonry.[:D]

P5220008.jpg
    here's a better pic. of the pattern.
    edited November -1
    nice job!
    tom

Small world huh Eric!
    I have purchased over 800 tons of stone from Overman's in the last 2 1/2 years. Wish I'd a met you sooner!
    He's good people, I had a run of some stone that just wasn't up to quality Paul came down to meet me replaced the bad pallets and sent me 3 more on him.

As you know each pallet has a # so he knows who stacked the pallet for quality control.

Yes, it is. I've only worked for Paul for about a year...but he is good people...a man worthy of respect.

Paul wanted me to let you know that if you did any projects outside of this area (again, he will not compete with his local suppliers that you are already buying from), he could set you up at Contractor pricing to buy your stone directly from Overman's Western Stone. He said something about meeting you and talking more with you about it if it was something that ever panned out...

Paul said that was one of the, if not THE, most beautiful houses he has ever seen...and that says a lot. You should see his house.

Maybe one of these days, I could come down and take you up on the offer to show me around it...[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:I get those pavers I get for 2.50 a sq ft. they are a concrete product.

that's not bad!
    I wonder what it would cost me retail?
    and then there's the shipping to kansas.....[:(]

This will be close to your retail price. You need to call your local Masonry and hardscapes dealer. They will have comparible products that you can use.

You must then consider edge restraint, spikes and gravel base with fine sand or silica for the joints.

Where at in Kansas?
    edited November -1
    quote:Where at in Kansas?

Up north of Hays, in the sticks! (NW kansas)
    edited November -1
    nice job!
    tom

Small world huh Eric!

Yes, it is. I've only worked for Paul for about a year...but he is good people...a man worthy of respect.

Paul wanted me to let you know that if you did any projects outside of this area (again, he will not compete with his local suppliers that you are already buying from), he could set you up at Contractor pricing to buy your stone directly from Overman's Western Stone. He said something about meeting you and talking more with you about it if it was something that ever panned out...

Paul said that was one of the, if not THE, most beautiful houses he has ever seen...and that says a lot. You should see his house.

Maybe one of these days, I could come down and take you up on the offer to show me around it...[:)]

That sounds great, I love the colors and all arond look of Cabinet Gorge stone. My next two are over by Harrison on the Gozzer Ranch. This will take us atleast into Feb. maybe early next spring . I am contracted with a company out of Montana for the next two projects. I am trying not to look or think past the next two projects. Only God knows what is next. I am thankful for the work I have right now.
    edited November -1
    nice job!
    tom

Small world huh Eric!

That sounds great, I love the colors and all arond look of Cabinet Gorge stone. My next two are over by Harrison on the Gozzer Ranch. This will take us atleast into Feb. maybe early next spring . I am contracted with a company out of Montana for the next two projects. I am trying not to look or think past the next two projects. Only God knows what is next. I am thankful for the work I have right now.

That's going to be a long haul, isn't it.?.? I'm glad to hear that you have plenty of work![8D]
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to talk to you about the boiler heat under the pavers, can i email you?

Gary
    AKA Mango Tango
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    I want to talk to you about the boiler heat under the pavers, can i email you?

Gary
    AKA Mango Tango

Of Course brother![:)]