In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Do I Need For a Pick-Up Game

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
After spending another day at the rink I think I may be ready for my first hockey game. Obviously his would be a pick-up game at the local rink but I'm still curious if people think I have what I need to play.

Let's assume the competition is relatively skilled but not ridiculously skilled.

I have all the necessary gear:

Helmet
Taped Stick
Skates (duuuhh)
Shin guards
Elbow pads
Chest/Shoulder assembly
Waist/Leg pads
Socks
Pucks

As for skills I can skate forward fast and without problem. I can backward skate decently, while the transer from forward to backward isn't too bad as well. I can hockey stop while turning in either direction and can stop while skating backward. My forward crossovers are fine while the backward ones aren't exactly established yet. As for shots, the wrist shot is nothing amazing, but works. The slapshot doesn't really exist in great strength. I can handle the puck decently (can skate and move the puck at the same time, with crossovers too). The rest is just about good.

Any opinions?

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

alf.gif

Comments

• Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gonna get used.[B)][:0][^] Nothing compares to actually having a defender on you and the physical contact is hard to prepare for. You should have praticed having other people hit you while you were skating.[:D]

Don't sweat it though. You need to get some expierience against others in order to get better. Just do not set real high expectations your first time out. The more you play the better you will get. The better you competition gets the better you will get. Enjoy the game and learn as you go along.[8D]

Mad Dog
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see mouthguard on your list.
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by orca44mag
    I don't see mouthguard on your list.

Oooo yeah, I have one, just forgot to throw it on there.

Travis, I'm hoping my size will be an advantage to me. I'm about 6' 3", 215 pounds. My hope is that will make my checking easier as well as taking a check. I don't expect to go out there and blow anyone away. My goal is go to out there, have some fun, and not be so bad that I drag the team down.

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

alf.gif
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't notice a cup in case you get midsticked, or the puck starts flying.
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

Ooo, I don't have that....might be a good idea to buy one! [B)][:p]

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

alf.gif
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a pickup game, there shouldn't be any checking involved. Most rinks will throw you out for checking. I noticed you didn't have hockey pants on your list, unless thats what you're calling "waist pads". As far as the skills, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The more you play something resembling a real game, the better you'll get. Also, if the rink has a clinic, you might want to sign up for it. You'll learn a lot from it, assuming the teacher knows what they're doing.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "6' 3", 215 pounds". While you should do OK if a basketball game breaks out!!!![:D][;)]

You will be alright but it is going to take a few games to develope a feel for the game.[:)]

Mad Dog
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're going to get checked up against the wall so damn hard that Allah is going to flash before your eyes and you think you are dieing but eventually when you finally wake up, you will be sitting on gunbroker.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You should be able to get a used one to save you a little money. [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ill lend ya one of mine!! I had one removed a while back! Now they call me Uunnn!!!! [:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1

Dammit! Why'd you have to remind him? I was hoping Darwin's ghost would help us remove ALF-boy's genes from the pool...

But in retrospect, considering his last few posts, I doubt the need will ever arise...to to speak.
    army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might want to throw a visor on that helmet, wouldnt want to lose an eye, and definatley wear a cup. The only time you will ever get hit in the Hardy boys is when you forget one, and that aint no mystery!

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~