In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Comics - "The Punisher"

seanmc42seanmc42 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
Hey - I know this is a somewhat older crowd, but anyone follow this comic hero?
He's a vigalante with a BIG arsenal. I'm just starting out, so I'm
looking for recommendations on issues to look out for....
Thanks, gents (and ladies).

Comments

• Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't followed it for years, but look for the issues from the mid to late '80s when the writing and art team were on a serious Dirty Harry kick. His combat annuals are pretty good.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sean,

Check out any of the items that Garth Ennis wrote.

The Punisher has had three series in recent years, all by Ennis - a limited series, a "normal" Marvel series, and a Marvel MAX series (basically Marvel comics, but with swearing and nudity).

If you're into back issues, the early Punisher War Journal by Carl Potts and Jim Lee were pretty decent (a little hokey at times, though) and the early Punisher War Zone items by Chuck Austen and John Romita Jr. were pretty good (LOTS of action, guns, and stuff blowing up).

The current Punisher series typically runs in six-issue story arcs. "In the Beginning", the first six issues of the Punisher MAX series is really good and is out in trade paperback now. That is the one I recommend most of all.

Hope this helped.
  • Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few issues out there with the punnisher and ghost rider as a tag team duo of sorts. I remember reading them as a kid. good issues.

_bm.jpg It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the first edition somewhere in near mint condition . . . don't know why I even had it . . . something I picked up out of a trash can, I think. Probably worth some money nowadays. Didn't realize it was still being published . . . mine must be a good twenty years old and I stopped reading comics long before that.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    Saw the movie last night.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sheepdip
    Saw the movie last night.

We provided the machinery props for the movie, the drill press & other stuff.
    Our thank you is the last line in the credits.[:D]
    Don

Gizmogizmo.gif
    eng.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~dgarriott/guns.html
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Want to see something interesting check out his little visit to the pages of the Nam comic seriesquote:Originally posted by seanmc42
    Hey - I know this is a somewhat older crowd, but anyone follow this comic hero?
    He's a vigalante with a BIG arsenal. I'm just starting out, so I'm
    looking for recommendations on issues to look out for....
    Thanks, gents (and ladies).

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got his mini-series that came out after his first appearance in Spiderman and his #1-100 something. I loved the Punisher as a kid. I still have them kicking around here somewhere {I just moved again} but my favorite issues were the ones where he was in Alasa {I think} and basically surviving off the land and stalking some dude and another 7 part series where he runs arlling a bunch of guys {Like every issue}. I'll have to dig em up to be sure but they were my favorites by memory.