In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Chevy ABS Question

tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I have a 98 S10 pickup and the ABS comes on sometimes.
If I take an off road trip around the field it will come on, without ever touching the brake. I can hear the thing (ABS motor?) kind of humming loud. And if I put on the brake at this point, I get a hard pedal and no stopping. Usually if I touch the pedal it will shut off and then the brake will work right/ normally.
Sometimes too, coming to a stop kinda just creeping along, it will come on like I'm on ice at a hundred miles an hour! A little scary cause it won't stop until the ABS goes off. Again, usually by touching the pedal and releasing then braking for real it will work right.
Seems like it's occuring more frequently.
Do you Chevy techs have any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wifes 99 s10 blazer did the same thing until i took the little fuse out. the abs light is on but no problems.

first rule of northern militia is that we don't talk about northern militia.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    It usually happens when one of the abs sensors is on its way out. The sensor stops reading at a slow speed, so the abs thinks the brakes are locking up on that wheel. You need to have someone look at it that has a scanner that does abs data.
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 94 S-10. I have had it in the shop for a Chevy recall on ABS 3-4 times. Each time they reprogrammed the computer and once they added a new relay or something or other. All this was free, but I found out about the recalls online.

I would check to see if there are any recalls on your model and year.

I will say that they are the loudest ABS I have ever heard. But I havent had the problems you describe.

NewRuger.jpg
  • Options
    jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just had my 99 GMC in for the hard pedal. Mechanic cleaned the sensors and it works fine now. Service manager said hang on to the bill because they had a recall in Canada for this problem and maybe it would also be recalled in the US.

Jim
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    The problem will likely be either the control module or the sensors. Brake and metal dust from the brake rotors will collect on the little reluctor coils that count the notches on the little gear looking thing on the backside of the hub. The reluctors are magnetic and pick up a lot of crap. There is also a similar sensor that goes into the rear differential and reads a cogwheel attached to the ring gear and picks up a lot of metal as well. The computer uses the speed sensors at the front wheels, the rear diff, and the transmission to confirm any detection of skidding which activates the ABS actuator. If there is metal build up on the sensor it distorts the readings and will falsely report an intermittent skid to the computer. Take the rear sensor out and clean it and blow the front sensors off with compressed air. That usually resolves the problem, if it doesn't, take it to the dealer

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I'll clean those front sensors and go from there. Maybe this will be a simple (cheap) fix!