In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interesting...or, maybe not.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
In the past 6-7 months I have been look at Colt SAAs on the auction side. Bought two, in fact. But I have noticed something about the guns being offered.

The overwhelming vast majority of SAAs offered are revolvers made in the past 20 years and nearly all are in new condition. Hardly any show any use and are advertised as new in box. I don't know if nearly all SAAs sold in the past 20 years were purchased as collectibles with no intention of actually shooting them or if the guns bought to be used are still being used and not offered for sale.

Recently I have been looking for a 7.5" SAA in shooter grade condition, a gun with some finish wear that has been used extensively so I can buy it at a good price and shoot it. But I find no such guns on the auction side.

The second largest group are early example in poor to fair condition. Apparently when SAAs were purchased 50-100 years ago they got used...a lot.

Any thoughts on this? Has the SAA really been little more than a collector piece for the past two decades? One that I bought was made in 1993 and despite the assertion by some that Colt test fired all guns close examination showed absolutely no sign of any test firing. Either they can clean the guns back to brand new appearance or they didn't test fire the SAAs knowing almost all were going directly into the safe.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say the majority of modern SAAs were purchased either as safe queens or as investment pieces. Because of that I doubt the investment is likely to pay off. Kinda like "collector" anything!
    The older ones were just tools, used and treated with varying levels of care. Much like we use "modern" guns today.
    I've never had to hammer any wire fences with my carry gun, but she's definitely got some character.
    I've had a few SAAs over the years and agree the newer ones show no signs of firing from Colt.