In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help with new phone and phone service

nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I'm sorry bother you all this late at night but my current phone and service has screwed me for the last time! The company is run by thieves and operated by morons! I'm so done with them that I crushed this brand new phone in a vise and ran it through my brand new Haas mill at 7500 rpm with a shell mill installed. The company will get back all the tiny little pieces I can find and put into a baggie along with a scathing letter. Rant over.

The information you could help me with is what phone and service are you using and very satisfied with for a period of time. Not just a few months but a longer period of satisfaction. In reality, I hate the bloody things but they have become a most necessary evil for some of us.

Cost is a consideration for both the purchase and the monthly operation. I do not want a $300.00 phone and $100.00 monthly bill for simple calling and receiving service. I don't use it for the internet, e-mail, music or games. I need a phone to make and receive calls, that's it.

Any help, suggestions and discussion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best.

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife really likes T-mobil pay as you go 100.00 fo 1000 minutes she gets anywhere 3 to 5 months for a hundred bucks depends on how much you use it
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We used Cingular back east...and it was very good service. We have Verizon out here b/c it's the only thing that works out here. Cingular was a far better service...and I liked the roll over minutes.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    I have had AT&T for a little over a year now. Had to ditch Sprint after 10 years as they forgot what customer service was. Been happy so far. I do have a lot of the stuff you listed as "don't need", so I have no idea what a basic plan costs.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    we hardly ever use are's so we switched to tracfone ( yes that how it's spelled) with double the min (got the code free online) and bonus min (again free code online) we hardly pay anything for it. I think i have to put min on once a month at a cost of 20.00 and i get something like 200 min.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With me it was all about the reception. Verizon is the only service that works here at my home. I will soon go to cell phones only....and only have the most basic of phone service here at the house by "land line." Cingular didn't work here...neither does T-mobile. I have internet through a wireless modem on my laptop and everyone has their own phone. I would completely turn off the house phone altogether....but I am afraid we may need it. I've been very happy with the customer service from the Trussville Verizon store. They even stayed open an hour later just for me when I had internet problems once. They are good guys at that location.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on your location.Verizon probably has the most service areas,however when you are not in a good area the service sucks.Cingular, T-Mobile are next best IMO.In my area s/o Atlanta verizon works best,wife had cingular and at&t they did not work as well and the customer service was not the best.Centenial service IMO is the biggest rip off.Wife was in Puerto Rico recently service was great.We have had verizon service for many years,no problems good customer service.
    Good Luck!
  • oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I have had a Sony Ericsson camera phone (has internet and email capability that I don't use) and AT&T service for over three years and have had no problems. My plan has 300 anytime minutes and 1000 nights and weekend minutes. Basic fee is 35.00. Of course, after fees, taxes, etc, bill runa bout 47.00 per month. My son has AT&T family plan(same phone) with many more minutes, not sure how many, that runs him about 100 per month. He doesn't have a land line phone, so all calls are cellular.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to Sprint (cell) after AT+T screwed with us. Verizon sucks their charging me if I dont use long distance on my land-line (short fall charge) WTH! They are about to fly. Thinking about going with Vonage for land-line.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense I have Verizon and its like the others they will suck you in!!! This one I have still have yet to explore.
    http://www.tracfone.com/phones.jsp?task=phones&subTask=allPhones
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had Alltel since 2002, but Verizon bought them. My next bill should be from Verizon. They say nothing will change. We shall see.

They are all thieves, but the service was acceptable from Alltel. Not so much from U. S. Cellular and Centel. I'll go back to writing letters before I'll go back to Sprint.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    For a basic cheap no frills phone go with tracfone or jitterbug. Jitterbug you go online and order phone and they advertise service for $10 a month I belive.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use magic jack for my land line. Verizon for cell. Verizon you can put 10 non verizon numbers in as contacts and those will all be free calls just as verizon to verizon are.
    edited November -1
    Anybody who wants and is willing to pay for a land line and a cell phone should by all means have both, but I don't see the logic in it.

I had a Sprint land line and installed analog Alltel cell phones in the car and truck. After Sprint made me man enough to chew nails and spit tacks I severed my association with Sprint. I went down to Alltel and switched my analog service to two digital cell phones. I had them put my Sprint land line number on my phone and gave the wife the old truck number. I don't understand why I waited for Sprint to piss me off. I haven't missed the land line for a minute.

The only trouble I've had with the digital phones is the wife always remembers to take hers with her and occasionally remembers to bring it back home. I can't blame the phone company for that though.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thank you all for your thoughts and experiences. I spent a good deal of time looking at the various websites last night as you all were posting but I haven't resolved anything as of yet.

I need to do something today since a stupid cell phone is all I'm using. I don't have a land line at all. Heck, I didn't even hook up a TV...

Has anyone worked with Skype for a home solution?

I've had a pay-as-you-go and the experience wasn't good. Every time I opened the phone the meter started up and I got charged when others called me. So that may be out although not yet.

The Verizon idea is intriguing, I'll talk to them. I spoke with some folks in town here and they are recommending AT&T for service in this area. Evidently they (AT&T) have done a good job with customer service here and are reliable. I just hate to give the anti-gun mob any money at all but my choices are becoming limited.

If anyone has any more ideas or opinions, please don't hesitate to post something.

Thank you for your efforts!

Best.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I've got Sprint cell phone and Verizon landline.

Been happy with both.

Have to have a landline here because DirectTV requires it - I guess so they can data mine.

Doug
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had AT&T since the early 90's. For a while it morphed into Cingular, but it remorphed back into AT&T. I've always had good service, good reception just about everywhere I went, and the different phones I had were reliable, except for one. A couple of years ago we switched to the Go Phone pay-as-you-go plan. The wife and I both have phones now and for $100 @ per year TOTAL (including all the secret fees they dink you with), we both have phone service with great phones. We always have some money left in the account at the end of the year, but it always rolls over into the next year. I used to use my cell phones for business, but now we only use them to keep in touch, and for those special times. If you talk a lot, the pay-as-you-go plans are not for you.

With my phone I can take pictures and send them as an email to my computer, thus avoiding having to purchase the $60 phone to puter cable.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Phones suck, but are a necessary evil (sometimes)

I got Verizon service initially, because it worked out at the farm on an analog cell tower (4 hours west of here) and worked well here at home from a digital site/s

Well, that was years ago when they still employed both analog and digital cell tower technology.

Now they have gone to (at least here) totally digital towers. I can no longer get any service at the farm and have to drive about 10 miles to get any signal at all.

If I change it will just be the other way around with some other outfit.

So IMHO they all can be as useful[:)] about as often as they are useless.[:(!]
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had Altell for over 10 years
    no problem no surprise. Worth
    looking into.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep seeing all those commercials for BOOST Mobile. What they say about one flat fee for all the services does sound like a good deal, but only if you USE that kind of thing.

Another thing to take into account may be some of the other services you could bundle. You said you didn't have TV...but if you have Direct TV, a home land line and the Cingular or ATT cell phone you can get a discount for all of them.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I've got Sprint cell phone and Verizon landline.

Been happy with both.

Have to have a landline here because DirectTV requires it - I guess so they can data mine.

Doug

Doug, when I got rid of my land line I didn't even bother to tell DirecTV. The last time I changed out one of my receivers the nice young lady asked if I still had my land line hooked up to the receiver. I told her I didn't have a land line. She said I had to have a land line to have DirecTV. I told her I was going to miss having DirecTV. Then she told me, Well, you don't really have to have a land line. You just have to have a land line if you want to order movies from the remote control.

I haven't ordered a movie in a whole gang of years, but if I wanted to order one I could just use the internet.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JamesRK, you're absolutely right!
    My land line through Sprint was about 40 bucks a month. An additional cell line is $9.99 and many free phones to choose from. I even transferred (ported?) my land number. If I'm going someplace, I grab the home phone and never miss a call!
    I have Verizon and have used Motorola phones for a long time. They seem to stand up to abuse better. I have a V750 now.
    My wife has an LG Voyager cause she's the text messenger!