In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

do it in a BUFF

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
Copied from another site:
b52flyby.jpg

This is not photoshopped. It happened in early 1990 in the Persian Gulf, while U.S. carriers and B-52s were holding joint exercises. Two B-52s called the carrier (USS Ranger) and asked if they could do a fly-by, and the carrier air controller said yes. When the B-52s reported they were 9 kilometers out, the carrier controller said he didn't see them. The B-52s told the carrier folks to look down. The paint job on the B-52 made it hard to see from above, but as it got closer, the sailors could make it out, and the water the B-52 jets were causing to spray out. It's very, very rare for a USAF aircraft to do a fly-by below the flight deck of a carrier. But B-52s had been practicing low level flights for years, to come in under Soviet radar. In this case, the B-52 pilots asked the carrier controller if they would like the bombers come around again. The carrier guys said yes, and a lot more sailors had their cameras out this time.

Comments

• Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballsy pilots.....
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes an aircraft carrier to make a B-52 look small.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Why they still fly the B52:

www.b1b.wpafb.af.mil/images/gallery/b1_fire.jpg
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Is that for real?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I guess there ARE old/bold pilots, afterall![:D][:D][:D]

Very cool!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That boy's almost low enough to suck sea water into his engines. [:0]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223

Two weeks ago I was on the launch crew for a BUFF that looks veru much like that (the fire part, #1 pod was burning).
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Where's the giant shark that leaps from the water?
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

Two weeks ago I was on the launch crew for a BUFF that looks veru much like that (the fire part, #1 pod was burning).

The plane in the pic Red223 linked to is not a Buff. It is a B1B. A Buff is a B52.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    Is that for real?Most definitely.

I was in a B52D Wing back in the day. Pretty bizarre to see them flying like this over land. By the time you realize there's something coming they're already overhead and gone. But if you're quick they'll be low enough for you to clearly see the squadron's emblem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883

The plane in the pic Red223 linked to is not a Buff. It is a B1B. A Buff is a B52.

I'm the last person you need to tell what a BUFF is, I work them every day. I was refering to the engine fire. THe plane in the pic is obviously a Bone
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883

I'm the last person you need to tell what a BUFF is, I work them every day. I was refering to the engine fire.

Well ok then. Are you a fireman or an airplane man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Crew Chief, that makes me both. I was the fire guard during the engine start on that particular launch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am a fireman now and I did the crew chief thing back in the day.
    Driving firetrucks are as much fun as flying.

Fly Army![:D][8D]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While trout fishing in Maine in the late '60s, one came slipping over the mountain and down low over a field closely following the terrain. I had never seen one before, let alone that close. It was gray with insignia about the size of a saucer and almost invisible markings.
    Quite a sight and sound in the wilderness.
    I wonder if any other aircraft have had as long a service life as the B52.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I live 10mins. from Barksdale Air Force Base, home of the 2nd Bomb Wing and the 8th Air force. The flight line is directly over our farm and usually get 20-30 fly-overs a day, nothing special. About 10 or so years ago we had an engine fall off a B-52 and land in the farm next to us. Ever since then I tend to keep an eye on them when they are flying over. Well one day, not too long ago, I'm out on the farm and see a B-52 coming. Noticed it wasn't flying as high as it usually does, in fact as it got near, I noticed it was flying exceptionally low! (It's hard to tell distance but I'd say he was no higher than 500yds up. And very slow. Darn near not moving![:0] He had full * out, barely moving, then he pointed the nose of the plane at a 45deg. angle up, and STOPPED![:0][:0] Then the plane started to drop, nose still up in the air. I'm thinking at this point, OH S#!T, this ain't good![B)][:0] When all of a sudden, WHOOOMP, he hit all 8 engines full throttle, letting out a huge plume of black smoke, and he was GONE![:p][:0] It was truly an impressive sight to say the least. I'm sure it was some kind of stall training or something, but though that maybe they could have found a different place to do it at. Weird sight watching one starting to drop straight down. Those engines have to be unbelievably powerful to recover a plane that size and then just disappear. [8D]

Ben
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jbw1776
    I live 10mins. from Barksdale Air Force Base, home of the 2nd Bomb Wing and the 8th Air force. The flight line is directly over our farm and usually get 20-30 fly-overs a day, nothing special. About 10 or so years ago we had an engine fall off a B-52 and land in the farm next to us. Ever since then I tend to keep an eye on them when they are flying over. Well one day, not too long ago, I'm out on the farm and see a B-52 coming. Noticed it wasn't flying as high as it usually does, in fact as it got near, I noticed it was flying exceptionally low! (It's hard to tell distance but I'd say he was no higher than 500yds up. And very slow. Darn near not moving![:0] He had full * out, barely moving, then he pointed the nose of the plane at a 45deg. angle up, and STOPPED![:0][:0] Then the plane started to drop, nose still up in the air. I'm thinking at this point, OH S#!T, this ain't good![B)][:0] When all of a sudden, WHOOOMP, he hit all 8 engines full throttle, letting out a huge plume of black smoke, and he was GONE![:p][:0] It was truly an impressive sight to say the least. I'm sure it was some kind of stall training or something, but though that maybe they could have found a different place to do it at. Weird sight watching one starting to drop straight down. Those engines have to be unbelievably powerful to recover a plane that size and then just disappear. [8D]

Ben

I would've liked to have seen that manuver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    [quoteI would've liked to have seen that manuver.

Not an 1/8th of a mile away you wouldn't.[:D][:D]

Ben
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pic vanished there txs, how bout fixin it so the rest of us can see?
  • Options
    DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool, but at that altitude these is absolutely no room for mistakes or engine hiccups.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I tried to fix the original pic, but for some reason GB won't allow me to edit my post. Here's a fresh copy...

B-52_USS_Ranger_flyby.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Those engines have to be unbelievably powerful to recover a plane that size and then just disappear. [8D]I got a good example of this the first time I ever set foot in a BUFF/Tanker alert area as a dumb 17 year old pup. This was back when the Cold War was still raging and this area contained a bunch of BUFF's and tanker aircraft that were sitting cocked/locked and ready to go at a moments notice.

I was brand new to SAC and had been thrown out there with very little preparation as a fill-in due to a personnel shortage. All of a sudden I heard the alert klaxon go off and organized chaos broke out, with flight crews and flight chiefs running for their airplanes and everyone else going the other way. I remembered rule #1 in case a klaxon sounds, which was for me to just get out of the way. I performed this duty in what I felt was an efficient manner by running to an open area off the side of the taxiway, just past the end of the blast shields. Big mistake.

In this situation these airplanes don't use any sort of ground equipment to start up. They use starter cartridges, which are large canisters of some sort of explosive that's attached to the engines. This means they go directly from dead still to get-the-heck-out-of-dodge power by means of a large explosion.

I was so busy watching the sight of all these huge airplanes zipping around like race cars headed for the runway that I failed to notice I wasn't shielded from the wing of one that was parked about 100 ft. behind me. Even bigger mistake.

When he lit off the cartridges I went sailing and landed face first on the ground, getting sandblasted by every speck of matter between me and the engines. It was sort of like being in front of a huge diesel powered blow dryer in a sand storm

I ended up watching the rest of this show from the prone/fetal position.

I know catpealer is probably reading this and thinking I was a dumb-*. He'd be right. [B)]
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pratice bomb release.
    Dean

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dean Cascio

Pratice bomb release.
    Dean

Ben

Why so low and slow/stopped? Tomahawk missle launch? I know it wasn't really a DEAD stop, but if it started to actually drop, then it wasn't moving much at all. Looked stopped from where I was standing....which was too close if the pilot sneezed and lost it.[:D]

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Those engines have to be unbelievably powerful to recover a plane that size and then just disappear. [8D]I got a good example of this the first time I ever set foot in a BUFF/Tanker alert area as a dumb 17 year old pup. This was back when the Cold War was still raging and this area contained a bunch of BUFF's and tanker aircraft that were sitting cocked/locked and ready to go at a moments notice.

I was brand new to SAC and had been thrown out there with very little preparation as a fill-in due to a personnel shortage. All of a sudden I heard the alert klaxon go off and organized chaos broke out, with flight crews and flight chiefs running for their airplanes and everyone else going the other way. I remembered rule #1 in case a klaxon sounds, which was for me to just get out of the way. I performed this duty in what I felt was an efficient manner by running to an open area off the side of the taxiway, just past the end of the blast shields. Big mistake.

In this situation these airplanes don't use any sort of ground equipment to start up. They use starter cartridges, which are large canisters of some sort of explosive that's attached to the engines. This means they go directly from dead still to get-the-heck-out-of-dodge power by means of a large explosion.

I was so busy watching the sight of all these huge airplanes zipping around like race cars headed for the runway that I failed to notice I wasn't shielded from the wing of one that was parked about 100 ft. behind me. Even bigger mistake.

When he lit off the cartridges I went sailing and landed face first on the ground, getting sandblasted by every speck of matter between me and the engines. It was sort of like being in front of a huge diesel powered blow dryer in a sand storm

I ended up watching the rest of this show from the prone/fetal position.

I know catpealer is probably reading this and thinking I was a dumb-*. He'd be right. [B)]

That's funny. I haven't had the fortune to witness or experience that for myself yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because of the design (Air pressure) they had to sling the A-bombs out of the bombbay doors. The air pressure would push up on the bomb and mess up the accuracy. Then again what is accuracy when you are dropping a megaton plus bomb?The quick turn was to get away from the blast. The B52 was not designed to drop conventional bombs in level flight like the B17's did in Europe.(The thought never crossed the minds of the designers).The bombs on the wing racks were for accuracy while the ones in the bombbays were for effect.
    Dean

Pratice bomb release.
    Dean

Ben

Why so low and slow/stopped? Tomahawk missle launch? I know it wasn't really a DEAD stop, but if it started to actually drop, then it wasn't moving much at all. Looked stopped from where I was standing....which was too close if the pilot sneezed and lost it.[:D]

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because of the design (Air pressure) they had to sling the A-bombs out of the bombbay doors. The air pressure would push up on the bomb and mess up the accuracy. Then again what is accuracy when you are dropping a megaton plus bomb?The quick turn was to get away from the blast. The B52 was not designed to drop conventional bombs in level flight like the B17's did in Europe.(The thought never crossed the minds of the designers).The bombs on the wing racks were for accuracy while the ones in the bombbays were for effect.
    Dean

Pratice bomb release.
    Dean

Ben

Ben

Thanks Dean, interesting[8D]

Ben
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    great photo.[:)]..only thing is if we got pics ,they got pics & the pilots wasting there time ,every man & his dog will sus the radar now!!
    & ammend..[;)]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Then again what is accuracy when you are dropping a megaton plus bomb?Not much, except when you're taking aim at North Korea and you vaporize Seoul instead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    great photo.[:)]..only thing is if we got pics ,they got pics & the pilots wasting there time ,every man & his dog will sus the radar now!!
    & ammend..[;)]

This manuever isn't what you'd call classified, just f'ing sneaky.

It's been done since the beginning of military aircraft, the public just doesn't often get to see such a graphic example.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neat, interesting and informative thread. Thanks, gents!
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know how they maintain that altitude over water. Its almost impossible to tell how high you are because there are no visual references, especially at high speeds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fugawe
    I'd like to know how they maintain that altitude over water. Its almost impossible to tell how high you are because there are no visual references, especially at high speeds.

Through the wonderful world of electronics.

In fact, they fly quite a bit with all cockpit windows completely covered with blast curtains. This material looks similar to high-temp fireman's turnout gear.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D]!!!
    Dean
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    Then again what is accuracy when you are dropping a megaton plus bomb?Not much, except when you're taking aim at North Korea and you vaporize Seoul instead.