In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just got a new computer today

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Boy O boy what a terrible experience. We narrowed our choices of stores down to Best Buy and Dell. Unfortunately, we made our purchase at Best Buy and then the problems began. Wonder if customer service is in their store policy any where ????

The only good thing I can say is that I am back up on-line with GB...

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one a few months back at circut city and felt the same way.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Just got a call from a buddy a few minutes ago. He bought a Sony at Best Buy yesterday, and is on his way back to the store to try to get the drivers updated. It is so messed up he can't download the updates.

We're going shooting later today, maybe we'll have a target.[:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Isn't that just ridiculous? We were so PO'd after we decided to purchase it. Plus we paid an extra $24.99 to have some programs setup and a couple different things done before we got it. Once we got it setup at home...surprise I had to reinstall both disc because Best Buy didn't do it. I called and got the line about our techs wrote in that they did it and it worked so we're sorry. Yeah, sorry about my luck!!!

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best Buy and the E-machine PC i bought there, worst customer no-service i ever experienced. Plus they gave my check debit card # to Prodigy (unathorized by me because at the time it was not available here)and it took 6mo's to get my $$ back! They also sold me a warranty that duplicated the manufacture's! Definetly a "learning experience"!!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I have spent my last with Best Buy, over 4 years ago. Paid extra for "extended warranty" that was not worth the hassle.

I have bought my last few computers used, and have been generally satisfied.

Should I ever desire a new one, I will go to a shop that builds them and have one built to suit.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
    edited November -1
    everyone confirming my anger is justified is just making me even madder at best buy (not).

i'm gonna check out the website for customer service forms on some place to write into and express myself.

• bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension: take the sucker back and demand your money back.

Email Dell or Gateway and see what they can do for you.

Dell offers a computer buy plan, if you work for a co. that buys Dells from them, its less than advertised.

Its about the same as is being offered on the TV after the rebate.

Just something to look into.

Bolt
    edited November -1
    Seriously bolthandle? The company I work for only buys dell, you mean I can get a discount because of that? Anything special you have to do?

I have 14 days to return, so it is not out of the question. Bad thing is that I would have to wait a week or so before I got the dell here.

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to take it back, you need to do it NOW. The window for returns with no questions is very small on electronics. Even if you want to keep it, they'll take you a lot more seriously if you walk in with it on a dolly and tell them you're interested in returning it since it doesn't work right.

By the way, my Sony worked the day I brought it home -- and techs didn't have to do anything to set it up. It should work out of the box. Same goes for the other packaged brands.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [^]I've got a Sony I bought at Wal-Mart and Love it, you have two weeks to return it if you don't like it.Most other things in the store you have 90 days.

I bought a printer and two weeks later I was in the store and saw a much better model. The better model was not in the store when I bought mine.I was telling a clerk and he said go get it and we'll exchange it or refund your money.

I don't always like Wal-Mart but they are hard to beat when it comes to customer service.
    [^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension, you should have gone with a Apple. We bought a comp from Best Buy 1 year ago. No trouble with the customer service or anything; Best Buy treated us great (we got a custom). But I'm convinced that Windows is made to crash as mine crashed a month ago. Luckily I didn't lose any info.

Apples never crash and never slow. My next laptop will be one of those Apple notebooks.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension: what you need is to get yor co. ID No. they use with Dell.

Then go to www.dell.com/epp

If you dont know the No. I think that you can give Dell the name of the co. and still get the discount.

That info is on that page when you get to the Dell site.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a computer tech at Best Buy for a year and a half... I can honestly say they aren't all bad, but by the same token they essentially tie the hands of their techs.
    I will say that if you have trouble make a fuss, Best Buy is one place that the squeaky wheel gets the grease (at least in my experience).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    I don't doubt other best buy stores are more than good places to shop but the one i went to sure was depressing.
    I've been thinking about it more and I sorta hate taking everything back down and reboxing it then draging it into the store to show off my true colors.
    maybe I'll just keep it

heck i can always call bambihunter for tech help... lol