In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Venison stew

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I need a new recipe for venison stew. I have thrown it together before and it is good but I am sick of it. I am looking for something new. Any ideas?

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    OK Lets start with the venison being marinated with some Annie's snotake & Sesame Vinaigrette. At the very least 24 to 48 hours. You add some ground turkey to the mix. Several garlic cloves with new potatoes and carrots and onions. Add at least a cup of goat cheese to make a cream sause. simmer and serve

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 1/2 -3 lb. venison cut into 1" cubes
    1/2 cup flour
    3 Tb. paprika
    salt and pepper
    2 Tb. butter
    2 med. onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic 1 tsp marjoram
    1 small can of tomatoes or 1 can of tomatoe sauce
    1/2 cup wine
    1/2 cup sour cream (at room temperature)

Shake the venison cubes in a bag with the flour, 1Tb. paprika, salt, and pepper.
    In a large casserole dish saute the venison in the butter until they are brown. Brown them in stages so that they don't crowd.
    Remove the cubes and saute the onions and garlic and 2Tb. of the paprika in the casserole until the onions are tender. Add the marjoram and tomatoes, and wine. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
    Add the venison pieces and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
    Just before serving, stir in the the sour cream.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I understand. You have eaten all the steak and now you are down to stew meat.
    Get a grinder and turn that stew meat into burger and delicious sausage.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting Warpig883, I am making venison stew today and needed some help on a recipe. [:)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always just start with stew starter you can get it at most grocery stores then add vegetables and meat comes out great everytime.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I always soak venison in milk for a day sometimes two. Seems to be more moist, more tender, and takes some of the gamey taste out to.
    Cut into small squares and brown almost burn in a cast iron skillet.
    add vegetables and slowly cook for 4 to 6 hours
    when your down to 1/5 hour left thicken with floor
    I normally spice mine up with various hot sauces and peppers, but it's not needed.

does anyone else soak venison in milk? An amish woman told me about it and it works, i like it.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension, we always soaked our venison tenderloin in milk for two days before preparation for our DU banquet. I've never had to use a knife to cut it prepared this way.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

Allen, actually this a a whole deer that I deboned. Didn't even eat the loins off this one. I am burnt out on brats, baloney, sausage as well. I might do some burger though.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:we always soaked our venison tenderloin in milk for two days before preparation for our DU banquet. I've never had to use a knife to cut it prepared this way.

laxcoach, agree agree agree. I just love it after it's been soaked.
    A couple times a year we wrap a hind quarter in foil, dig a hole, start a fire and get some coals going them bury the hole thing. hmmm good... throw in some beers and you got yourself a fishin party.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent