In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

venison and your body

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Okay fellas. I have to ask a personal question because it's been on my mind for over a year now. I love venison. I substitute it for beef until there's no more left in the freezer. I haven't bought beef since the week prior to the October muzzleloader season.

However, it's a good thing that I'm single because I'd be a tough person to live with when there's venison in the freezer. I don't want to be crude but it just does crazy things to my body. That's all I'm going to say. Does anyone know why this would be? Does anyone else experience this or is this just limited to those big fat corn-fed deer that live in the Iowa cornfields?

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Me think the problem is all in your 'head.'

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. There's definitely a pattern. I cause paint to blister about 8 - 12 hours after a healthy meal of venison. My favorite is making venison sloppy joes. Big and chunky.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about that, but when I let one go after eating a big bowl of squirrel stew, it will clear a room!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Venison gives me more stamina in the bed room[:D]

use_deer.jpg
  • campcook51campcook51 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been working on about 80# of venison since last November...perhaps it's a 'high protein rush'...enjoyed venison tenderloin last Sat. night...hmmmm..I'll give it the old 'double blind study' and see if I feel any different...then again...maybe it is all in my head..Ha!

Regards,
    Mark T.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    We are a family of 6, and for the last 3-4 years we, that is "I" have put 4 deer in the freezer, 80 lbs. of burger alone. Then there is the steaks, roasts, backstraps, inside tenderloins, summer sausage, snack sticks (these things taste like "slim jims"), brats, and breakfast sausage.

Its probably your sloppy joe mix that is causing you problems. If it gets too bad let me know and I'll take the rest of it off your hands.[:p][:p][;)]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any adverse effects other than wanting more.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I think matwor may have hit the nail on the head.

Try it some other way(chicken fry?)and see what happens.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    No problems here. I put 9-10 deer away every year...it's all we eat. We do not buy any beef whatsoever. I've gotten too busy to cut them up myself anymore, so we get them processed into a variety of different things...deer dogs, bologna, breakfast sausage, spicy ground meat, steaks, roasts, slim jims, chipped deer, etc etc. As far as "beef" goes, deer is almost the only meat my 6 year old daughter has ever had.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's never had any effect on me that I know of!?!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had that problem when I started eating deer 15 years ago, but since then it only gets me if I'm eating chili (because of the beans). However, now it doesn't hardly affect me at all. It gets me now if I eat a meal rich in Beef (like when we go out for ribs).
    Seriously, try Bean-O in your recipe. No one will know it's there and it really does work.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Venison? Heck darn near everything I eat does something strange to me whether it's ceral or oranges or whatever.

Honestly, I've not had anything from venison.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent