In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

remember the mayonnaise jar......and the coffee

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day
are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar......and the coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open area between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "Yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf ball are the important things-your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else--the small stuff."

If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. "Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I like that

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Very Good. I have read this before but it is good to bring things like this back. Thank You [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    By golly, that's the best thing I've heard in a long time.[:D]
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I always love to hear the voice of reason. Very good one. Now if they could/would just teach responsibility.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Too cool! Can I print it out for my clients?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Print away. Forward on. I love this thing. I am sure it has been around for a while. I sent it to my wife and kids telling them that even though I have been a dissappointment from time to time in my life and theirs, this is really how I see things. Now I just need to live them that way.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    That is good. Glad you posted it plains scout[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent