In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22-250, anygood for.

dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anything, or just for looks?

Feb24004.jpg

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're good flat-shootin' guns that are good for small varmits up to 'yote size. I prefer the .220 Swift over the 22-250 but it gains only a little velocity over the 22-250.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok- after getting through JustC post [:(][:(][:(](very sad)
    That is good for "dog town" "yotes" and small vermin that you wish to vaporise- [:D]

If the action is stong and true- I have loads for you![:D] Hard to tell what ya got in the pic.

If it.s a Ruger can't help with the loads. BUT if you have a Rem. 40x/700 lets talk. [:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A-Bolt with BOSS and a laminatied stock, nothing special.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ought to be able to shoot a gnat off of a flies * with that thing at 300yrds!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    One of the best varmint cartridges around!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    22/250's are an excellent cartridge, very accurate and vapo rizing on varmints. I've had 'em for 28 years or so and have shot a lot of all size of game with them. 50 grain bullets have always been best for my guns for varmints about 3800 fps, 53 grain match bullets 3600 to 3700 fps for some serious target shooting, and surprisingly a 53 grain Barnes x will kill deer and antelope where legal like they've been struck by lightning, complete penetration even out to 400 yards. The gun you have pictured should be a real tack driver if you play with that BOSS a little.
    edited November -1
    Cute was what i was looking for.

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent cartridge for varmint hunting / smaller game animals. Very accurate. I prefer the .220 Swift, but would readily concede the .22-250 is one of the all-time great rounds and second only to the Swift in the .224" bore . . . stir, stir. [}:)]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine from Texas swears the .22-250 is the best varmint round there is. He oughta know, lots of 'varmints' in Texas.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Super gun. The only reason I don't have one is that all my friends have one and I want to be different.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    As the resident pastor at the "church of GHD....25-06" and having been know to say if "I could have only one rifle, it would be a 25-06" my second choice in that scenario would be the 22-250!!! Both of these chamberings are super examples of someones great mind at work! The 22-250 will handle a lot of stuff in this country but will excell at varminting! Low recoil, outstanding velocity, OUTSTANDING ACCURACY and doesn't erode barrels as much as some other choices! Loaded to managable velocity (3700-3800fs,although 4000 is attainable) this chambering will do wonders for your confidence in the varmint fields! 40 grains of Win 760 and a 52 grain(bullet of your choice, since they don't make SPEER GOLD MATCHES anymore) should be a staple in it's diet!!! Enjoy and have fun!!! GHD
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a teenager in the early 60's , I had the gunsmith for the shop I worked in build me a 22-250 on a M.70 action . It had an early Fagen Wal/Wal laminated stock,and heavy Hoffman BBL,and a 12X Unertl.At that time it was still a Wildcat, and cases had to be formed from Savage 250-3000 Brass.It was called the 22 Varminter.Over the next few years I had several more built in other calibers-220 Swift, .243 Win. 257 Roberts, .308Win, 222Rem,223Rem ,27-06, 7mmRem Mag, and a few others. Not ONE single caliber came close to the accuracy of the 22-250. At that time we shot 10 shot groups, and they could easily be covered with a dime-with space to spare.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I wish I would have had one when I lived in Ks. and shot prairie dogs with a 243. I thought the 243 was the perfect all around gun but my buddy praised the 25-06. Don.

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The .22-250 is the only round that makes me look like a good shot.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I know a lot people that use it for varmits, I perfer a 6mm though. I think they shoot flatter, but that's just an opinion

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent