In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ignorant Sales Staff

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Yesterday, my buddies birthday, we were out looking at guns. He had a couple hundred bucks to blow, and was on the market for a 22 rimfire. We hit the local superwalmart. I know that most of the staff aren't knowledgable about any of the products that they sell but usually most of them keep their mouths shut or just admit that they don't know when you ask them a question. Well this one little guy tried telling me that the new .17hmr goes 5000fps. I'm not usually one to get into pissing contests, but inaccurate information about firearms is one of my pet peeves. So I tried to play cool about it. "Are you sure about that?" I said. "Cause I saw it advertised in a gun magazine and it only sait that the new 17hmr went 2550fps." Then he thru it back. "No, it goes 5000." he said. "Hmmm. That interesting, cause I have a .17remington which has a larger case capacity, that means more powder, and uses the same bullet, but it doesn't even go that fast." I said. "Well this is new, it just came out, it goes 5000." He said. I was really restraining myself from calling him what I thought he was. I know it wasn't my place to tell him anything. I just couldn't let it go. I walked over and picked up a couple of the gun magazines from the magazine and book section and started browsing. I found it, 2550fps, and took it back to the counter and showed him. "Sorry bud, this is what the book shows, it aint quite 5000." I said. "Well the book the gun came with said 5000." he said. errr.... My buddy put me back in my place with a "Come on dude, lets go, he don't know anything, he's just trying to sell stuff." And that was it.

You know that really itches me that guy. I realize how stupid he looked blabbing about something he had no knowledge of, but I still couldn't stand it. But now that I think about it, I really feel stupid for even arguing with him. If I had to do all over again, I would have just said "Oh, really..." Laughed at him and walked off.

Comments

• punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    You get the best minimum (or slightly above) wage has to offer.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Where is this at. I want to make a bet with that guy. If he has one that does 5000fps then I want to see it.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Terrorist War Time Help?????.........[:D][:D]
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You let him pull you down to his level and then the advantage was his because you were on unfamiliar ground.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Did he offer you a hot apple pie?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sad part about people like that is that they will eventually get someone hurt with there lack of knowledge and their ability to BS.....I think I might have spoken to a supervisor and made it known this little man was giving out bad info and he should be in the pantyhose department. [:D][:0][:D]

denny
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Crims on this one, speak to a manager... This guy might next sell .38 speical ammo for use in a .380.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Considering that it's WalMart, you're lucky the guy could speak English or read.

Or that you didn't get frisked upon entering the "sporting goods section".

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He probaly did so well in the front with the paper or plastic question they promoted him to gun sales and a .05 per raise.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 90% of the sales force is sporting goods shops are "shoe clerks". If you are going to shop there, it behooves one to know exactly what you are looking for. I never argue with these types, why waste time?. I make my purchase, if any, and leave.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for informed sales staff, Wally-world is the last place that I would look. Unless you are inquiring about the liquid capacity of the various depends-type under garments. I believe them to be proficient in that area.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell that guy

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an idiot, if it was me all hell wouldve broke loose, I woulda been like "Listen up motherf'er, you're a f'n retard, you dont know a damm thing about a damm thing, so keep your f'n mouth shut buddy!"

[8)]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Ah, ruger270man, you are a silver tongued devil!

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get this, last week I went back to walmart with another friend of mine and that guy was working the sporting goods counter. He apparently didn't remember me, but I got my friend to go up there and ask him about that new "5000fps" rifle he heard about. The guy told him that he didn't know what he was talking about. I wonder who put him back in his place.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Shame on you for wal-mart shopping for firearms anyway. There's too many honest and knowledgeable, hard-working shop owners that deserve the business for hanging in there for us.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Made a trip to the "big box" sporting goods Academy.
    Was looking for some A Zoom Snap caps (32 ACP)
    My local gun shop had them in everything but 32 ACP so as last resort tried the box store.
    A couple of grey hair guys (Not kids) behind the counter.

One of then I had words with before for pointing a 10/22 at me that he was showing to a customer.(Pervious trip)

I ask for the snap caps and he ask "Muzzleloader Caps"?
    I said NO for dry firing. Answer "I never heard of them" and walked away
    May have been my last trip there.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Shame on you for wal-mart shopping for firearms anyway. There's too many honest and knowledgeable, hard-working shop owners that deserve the business for hanging in there for us.

You got that right. I have never and will never buy a gun at Wal-mart.

bouncies.gif
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    22wrf- if some sales clerk pointed a firearm at me, that would have an a** whooping. I'da jumped that counter and beat him to a pulp, then had charges pressed on him for deadly conduct. Then maybe a civil lawsuit for mental distress against the store, the manager personally, and the employee. Just depends on how much money I wanted to spend to get.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Lee but it is your own fault. Walking in the front door was your first mistake...

He Dog
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bigtire, that's a heck of a signature pic you've got there... [:I]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bigtire, Please quit doing that to me. It gets me disoriented! HA! HA!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do have to be very careful purchasing ammo at these places to be sure that they don't give you the wrong thing. Most of them don't know what they are selling with no knowledge!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Yet, ironically, the shooting sports would be the poorer if WalMart followed K-Mart in washing its hands of guns and gun products.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    s.o.p in most stores nowadays...depressing how many sales people have no inkling of what they are doing...most only know how to run the register....really a treat to talk knowledgeably with a salesperson
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one at Outdoor world, when I was looking at the HMR, Did not even know what it was [;)]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like I have said before over and over not that I HATE walmart or anything like that but WHY do you guys shop there?????

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have had similar experiences at Walmart, but still can't find it cheaper anywhere else, especially on 22LR ammo.

jbs.giflogo22.jpgrfcmember.gif
    KP4CBrian.gif597Brian.jpg
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NickCWinter
    Yet, ironically, the shooting sports would be the poorer if WalMart followed K-Mart in washing its hands of guns and gun products.

Sad, but true. I still hate WalMart.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Walmart sucks, they make to much money. Who hasn't or doesn't shop there? I have, but I don't anymore.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent