In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

They told me my father......

powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
...is dying. It's hard to believe, he's so alert and alive at times, tho' those are getting to be fewer and farther between. They told my mother they had done all they could for him, if they tried any other procedures they would cause even more damage than he has now.

The emphezema and the pneumonia have cause more damage than his body can tolerate. Other complications have added to the toll.

It could be 24 hours or several weeks. He wants to go home and die there. If he goes home they have already indicated he may not last the day. Just last week they were holding out hope he was improving, slowly, but still they thought there was improvement. It is 'funny' how fast a situation can change to what no one expected.

The whole family is down, or will be by tomorrow, at least those who are able to make it. From as far away as California and Texas.

Not to labor a point but: If you smoke quit.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas

Comments

• earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your father's illness. Sure do hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your family.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Your dad, mom, you, and the family will be in our prayers....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Thank you all. I really wasn't soliciting comments tho', just trying to get it off my chest. For a moment.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

• HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Dang it's hard to write anything that could be of any meaning.

All I'd want to say, is that I know the feeling of your familymembers who are a long way from you and your father.
    Sat here in Greenland, two days travel from my family - when I lost my mother in april and father in December 2003.

You will all be in my thoughts.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My prayers and thoughts will be with you and your family during this time.. May God Bless You All.

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke, I went thru the same experience with my father and my father-in-law. I can second your statement. IF YOU SMOKE , PLEASE STOP--NOW. May God Bless both you and your father.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched as my mother took her last breath last May, she died of the same thing, emphysema and the related troubles, we had her in hospice
    program at home.
    I will say a prayer for you and you family.
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke,

Please accept my deepest condolences and prayers for the family. I never completely recovered from the loss of my father, and I know what you are going through.

God Bless.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    I believe it would be nice to let him go home.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Powder, my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. If you need anything let me know.

JuJu(always saddened to hear things like this)
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    powdersmoke, The GHD bunch has you in our thoughts and prayers!! GHD
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    Powder, my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. If you need anything let me know.

JuJu(always saddened to hear things like this)

I appreciate you and all the others extending support and encoragment. I am numb and in tears alternating. I know you all mean it, just your thoughts are good enough and well received.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I lost my Dad to cancer in 1966... it seems like only yesterday...

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I knew what to say. I am sitting here with a tear running down my cheek trying to think of something to say. I lost my mother in much the same way to a stroke but when I heard she was in the hospital it was too late, I didn't get to say goodbye.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear the news, man. My prayers are with you and your family.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Lung cancer took my dad before he was 65. If you smoke QUIT. He quit 13 years before the cancer got him.

Powder. There is nothing I can say to make it better. I still get tears in my eyes for my Dad from time to time -- it has been 9 years.

Nothing hurts like losing a parent. Only thing that could be worse is losing a kid.

My dad lasted 6 months. It was okay the first 5. That last was painful for him and us.

I will give you a hint. It worked for me and my dad. We had said all there was to say and he was too tired to visit. I picked up a book a well wisher had left and like he did for me when I was a little kid -- I read to him. He stayed alive until the day after I finished the book. I think he wanted to hear the ending. The name of the book was "Saved by the Light" by Betty Eddy. I am pretty sure that was it. Find it and read it. If not to your Dad, then to yourself. It helped me and my dad. Funny thing is that one of his best friends was a high school classmate and she was the mother of one of my best friends and after Dad died I was telling him about the book. He looked at me like he had seen a ghost, all he said was "That was the last book my mother read before she died and she tole me to read it" She died unexpectedly of a heart attack.

Powder. "Thy will be done" Have a good cry, it is the manly thing to do.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish you luck.....it never is the right time. STAY STRONG!

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there bud, my thoughts are with ya. [:)] never easy, as ya know my pop just passed a few months ago. part of the day today was spending time looking for moms wedding ring that when down the sink.

The two other bro's and my self took the plumbing apart trying to find it, hired a plumbing cam to also go down the pipes.

Moms lose was big when he passed, then the wedding ring lose was the capper today. Keep the faith, not all is lost. [:)]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what you are going through.My Dad passed away in 1996, he was my best friend.....my Daughter still remembers the time she spent with Grandpa.Hang in there.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your father Powder. Our thoughts willbe with you and your family during these trying times. Take care.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    See that the man gets his wish to go home......................
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thoughts and prayers from my family to yours.I know what you are going through,I lost my dear mother eighteen months ago from the same ailments.

CWatson
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad news indeed. [:(]
    It is never easy.
    Lost my mom the same way.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Tears wash the sorrow out..don't fret them.

If you are a believing man..belive that he will be in a joyous place soon....

Your pain is felt. God Bless....
  • rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having lost my dad two and a half years ago, I know what you are feeling now. My prayers are with you and your family.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke, my thoughts and prayers are with you. One of my best friends just lost his father this past week, it certainly is a tough time. God bless.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you decide to take him home,good luck and god bless.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Smoke: I know what your going thru! Lost both of my parents two weeks apart three years ago. Best you can do is be there for him at all possible in his last few hours!

I can tell you this the bond between me and my father is greater now than it was when he was alive! It's usually not till after their gone that we can truly appreciate how great they really were! You will always cherish the memories!!!

You and your family are in our prayers!
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You and your father will be in my thoughts and prayers.

,,,sod

cyclone.giffooter_logo.gif
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear it powdersmoke. will keep you in our thoughts and prayers

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your in our prayers

To each his own
    Craig Brosius
    Gin1comp.jpg
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder, this tough ol' hombre just dropped a couple tears on the keyboard for you....You have the best friends you'll never meet here....Godspeed..

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    powder, this brings back a lot of memories . . . many mental hugs on their way to Florida. May your God or his bring you and yours comfort. I lost my Dad in 1990 in much the same way. When the medicos told us there was nothing more to be done, he asked to pass at home, surrounded by his memories and his family . . . I know it meant so much to him to go that way. However matters end, my deepest sympathies, amigo.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Smoke I am sorry to hear about This. I wish all the best for you and your family. If Dad want's to go home, I would hope that you could accomodate it. I'm not sure what your beliefs are but I told my mom when my grandfather died last year, at her home, that Although we grieve and are sad for the loss of our loved ones, that he's in a far better Place than here now. Prayers and thoughts to you and your family.....Godspeed

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no words. Just hope for the best.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes for you and your family. I lost my dad in Nov. Cherish the moments......
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God be with you in these sad hard times.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Lost my dad 12 years ago, he was 10,000miles away and I could not get there. I understand how you are feeling.

God Bless.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So sorry to hear about your dad.
    I lost my dad 13 years ago ,,, He was 49 & I was 24 & pregnant for my daughter. Still seems like yesterday.

Keep your faith & tell him you love him often !! I never got the chance to say goodbye & that still bothers me.

You are in my thoughts & prayers
    Chris