In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What would you do? Gun Show.

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
We took some ammo to sell at the gun show today, as all our guns were stolen [:D][:D]. One guy bought/traded for most all of it. I went to the truck to get a bag of ammo he wanted, and a guy stopped me in the parking lot and asked what I had, I told him what I had, and that it was already sold. He asked me to show him if they were factory or not, so I did, trying to not be rude. He told me he had a rifle for that cartridge and what were they going for? I told him what we had sold them for, and he handed me the cash right there and told me to piss on the other guy. I handed it back to him and told him I could not do that to someone.. I would get the money in an extra 200 steps id have to walk to get back to where dad and the guy was waiting anyways. He offered to pay more for them, but I still could not do that. I told him he could talk to dad about it, and when he saw dad, and asked if they were up for grabs, he quickly shriveled up and walked away when dad told him No.

I couldn't sell something for a few bucks more when already promised to someone else, unless under extreme circumstances (like I was not ABLE to or something)... What would you have done?

Comments

• hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as you did. You done good!
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    You did right J, you always have to stand by your word. The only thing that matters in this life is how you honor your words, and treat those you come in contact with
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,866 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I would do just what you done.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i would have done exactly what you did jacob..i`m like you...i have a concience..it`s annoying sometimes, but theres nothing i can do about it.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    We took some ammo to sell at the gun show today, as all our guns were stolen [:D][:D]. One guy bought/traded for most all of it. I went to the truck to get a bag of ammo he wanted, and a guy stopped me in the parking lot and asked what I had, I told him what I had, and that it was already sold. He asked me to show him if they were factory or not, so I did, trying to not be rude. He told me he had a rifle for that cartridge and what were they going for? I told him what we had sold them for, and he handed me the cash right there and told me to piss on the other guy. I handed it back to him and told him I could not do that to someone.. I would get the money in an extra 200 steps id have to walk to get back to where dad and the guy was waiting anyways. He offered to pay more for them, but I still could not do that. I told him he could talk to dad about it, and when he saw dad, and asked if they were up for grabs, he quickly shriveled up and walked away when dad told him No.

I couldn't sell something for a few bucks more when already promised to someone else, unless under extreme circumstances (like I was not ABLE to or something)... What would you have done?

Had it happen many times, and have always done exactly what you have done. Hand shake agreements are a matgter of honor. I would never renig on one.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Ya done good Jake.[:D][:D][:D]
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm afraid you are a member of a dying breed...... HONEST men with integrity. A man's word used to be as good as a signed contract and a handshake sealed the deal.

YOU DONE GOOD !11
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did right. WTG.[;)]
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    Like Tony Montana says "all I have in this world is my balls and my word and I ain't breaking 'em for nobody" Ya did good to stick to your deal you made with the first person..
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When he offered more money I gotta admit it was tempting, but I still couldn't do that to a man who was inside waiting on me, whom I had already told owned them... Gotta think on the other side of the butcher block, If you were sold some ammo (for a good deal, actually..) and then the guy came in and said SORRY, sold it in the parking lot... You'd be PISSED! I know I would be. No way I could stand breaking my word over a few boxes of ammo and 20 or so bucks.

On the plus side, the NRA guy looked the opposite way [:0]
  • hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have done the same as you.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    that would be almost as bad as someone jumping in front of a line. It just ain't done!!

Your decision was the only one to make. Good job.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1, you did the right thing.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This question should not have been asked.

Sage 1
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • pit_viper_53pit_viper_53 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it wasn't tempting it wouldn't have been a manly act to refuse. You did the manly thing.
    Now I'll duck because I know I'm gonna get it.[}:)]
  • ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good on you my friend, good on you...
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I had a guy call me and offer me 2200 for a gun I had listed, it had already reached reserve so I told him he would have to bid and hope to win...the same guy ended up getting the gun for 1875, sometimes doing the right thing costs some money, but it is always worth it
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The hard choice is usually the right choice.
  • kayzapkayzap Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A deals a deal and you gave your word and kept it.

You did right.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A man is only as good as his word.
    If a man's word is no good then neither is the man.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • OLAKOLAK Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did the right thing!!!!!!
    A man's WORD is his BOND.............if your word isn't then you ain't a man!
  • JesseLeeJesseLee Member Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you did was honorable and you held to your integrity, something that most do not have in today's society. I applaud you Sir.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you done good when I was growing up a handshake was worth more then a signed contract
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised and delighted that there isn't a post by some * about how you were a fool to pass on the extra dinero because, after all, you (pick one) didn't know the guy/didn't owe him anything/would probably never see him again.

I think that, in refusing to break your word for extra cash, you've exhibited an excellent grasp moral responsibility.

Hat's off to ya, Jacob.
  • jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jacob, that was a sign of a real man, you kept your word to someone you did'nt know, a simple stranger,........... you kept yor word and your honor. God bless ya!
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    I would have told him that it was already sold. After the piss off statement I would have told him to F off.

Honor is hard to come by these days. You did well. Be more aggressive next time!
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitly the right move ,Its much better to know you done the right thing rather than have a few extra bucks and have to face up to the guy you done wrong and apologise for your mistake. There is always a slimeball testing your integrity these days it seems ,makes you want to slap some sense into them.He must of had poor upbringing ,bad role models to put his needs over your word.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you sold the ammo in ths parking lot your Dad would
    have kicked your @ss.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    You done good.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns

If you sold the ammo in ths parking lot your Dad would
    have kicked your @ss.

Nuh uh, I aint got the nuts to go in and tell him i sold it. no way no how nope not me. id be runnin [:D]
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    It's been said that character is defined by what one does when no one is looking. I'd say you passed the character test on that one. Good job. The rewards will come for your integrity. [^]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Bible says "Dont Swear,Let your YES be YES and your NO be NO"[^]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Besides theres plenty of ammo here on GB[;)]
  • anatomically correctanatomically correct Member Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the end of the day, all a man has is his word.
  • topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a mans word means something to you,
    that shows good upbringing. But stay out of politics,
    you don't have what it takes.( to honest )
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your dad brought you up right. WTG Jake and Tomahawk.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy on the parking lot was a jerk. I hate people like that. These are the kind of guys who will try to but in while a trade is being made and I hate that. Just plain rude.
  • btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good job you did exactlay as you should, had you had more you could have sold to parking lot guy at higher price.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You did the right thing in honoring your deal BUT you need to be VERY careful in gun show parking lots. You don't know what kind of person you might run into out there so be careful!