In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good chance Saturn will live on

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Hopefully, whoever buys them will market their vehicles back towards affordability, simplicity, and reliability like they use to be. Over the past few years GM fazed out the popular models and replaced them with near identical Chevy models to save money and unfortunately it raised Saturn car prices.[xx(] I for one, really like my 05 AWD Saturn Vue and it won't rust in these harsh WI winters either.[:D]

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/9552516/Penske-considers-making-bid-for-Saturn

Jon

Comments

• team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have an 07 ion 2 and it has been one of the better cars i have ever owned....great on gas with an hour commute each way to work[:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think they are dead.

I was contemplating a Redline Sky, but no more.

Doug
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Good chance Saturn will live on

But what about Uranus?
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early 90's SC1 may have been one of the best cars GM ever built.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    small, compact, fuel economy... all buzz words we hear about these days.

how about safe, good on gas and can haul a cord of wood.

my question is..

who the hell is going to make the pickup trucks that keep america running.

sure, there is a lot of people who buy big trucks and keep the beds as polished as the grille, but what about the working man who uses it?

farmers, loggers, ranchers, hunters. we all need trucks!

GM could concentrate on just trucks and do just fine.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    PENSKE is thinking about Buying Saturn, Lock, Stock, and Barrel! You can bet that if he does, it will be One or at most Two Years and it will be the best Auto Manufacturing Company in The U.S.

As far as GM just making Trucks, can you hear the Greenie's whining? The Bumpers are too high. The Bodywork/Frame is too strong - it hurts the folks in the bubblecars. They burn too much fuel, they must make 30 MPG even when Loaded. It would make the Pickups perform like a 1966 VW Bus with fifteen hippies in it and only two cylinders with any measureable compression - a neck snapping, fire-breathing sixteen or seventeen Horsepower (at the crank) on a good day.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a salvage yard and bought a bunch of Saturn when they first came out from the salvage wreck sale . Compared to the other cars in the yard it was a bad idea ,I only sold collision replacement parts off of them for the most part - no engines or transmissions . I ended up building one for my youngest daughter while she was in high school and sold it locally when she went to collage. Its still running around town .I told them when they bought it 3 years ago if they needed any parts I still had two here in the yard -they havn't been back . Saturn is a well designed car and I am sad to see GM discard the line.
    edited November -1
    I am sad to see that GM has discarded itself.

Doug
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I am sad to have seen the American populous discard GM.
    edited November -1
    That too.

Doug
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    What killed Saturn was their no haggle business model. In return for this rediculous no hassle BS the dealers were given an exclusive area. Because of this, there were not enough Saturn dealers and hence not enough cars sold to sustain the line.

Any hope for their survival hinges on them deep-sixing the no hassle policy in favor of a traditional approach.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe. My son works at a Saturn dealership. Their business is great. They have people coming as far away as NJ to get cars. It was a little slow around the first of the year but really good now. They were talking about a truck before the mess started. I still think we may see one. According to what my son is hearing there are several possible buyers. I think someone will pick them up. I have been in most of their line and have been impressed with them. My son has one of the last Red Line Ions, real screamer with that supercharger. Get that Sky, it's one of the fastest machines I have ever driven. Almost scary. There's not another GM product I would buy. They really should dump something else and keep Saturn.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    No haggling hasn't seemed to hurt the Import manufactures.