In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A Wal-Mart Shopping Experience

22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
(C&P from another board)

I needed a few things the other day like underwear, (see dog thread) and I had finished a day of work I would rather forget. I had been to Walmart the Saturday before and had the usual experience.

The Walmart experience:
I got a great parking spot, close enough that I could almost see the building. Froze my tail off walking to the store and they greeted me at the door and hand me a cart the size of a baby stroller and I venture in. The store is packed and the isles are just wide enough for 2 carts to pass each other. The problem is there is a womans butt that is 2X wider than the cart, has tunnel vision, is deaf, blocking my path and the concept of touching her and asking her to hoist that bucket out of the way so I can get through isn't worth it. So after she steam loads in some Sams brand cheeze puffs, nacho chips, hershey bars, and a six pack of slim fast, I am allowed to pass, but only after a dirty look.

I continue on procededing in a zig zag pattern to avoid traffic jams, I reach the engine oil. The price is unbelievable. 98 cents for a name brand 5w-30 oil.. Hot dog. As I walk up I notice a big hole in the display and a guy with about 30 quarts in his stroller walking away. A great price on something I can't have.

As the shopping trip continues I go down the dog food isle and guess what???? Cheese puff lady's twin sister has her huge set of mudflaps covering the entire isle while she evaluates the 60lb bag of ol' Roy. Education didn't appear all that important cuz' it takes what seems like forever for her to evaluate what is the best deal. Hint: The big bag. After figuring it out she is not able to load the bag into her cart she sends off this farrell child to find "Oscar". At this point I had had enough.

I pick up things on the way to the checkout like deodorant, and really cheap peanuts, and make it to the counter to check out. After about 15 minutes of waiting the little girl asks if I found everything ok. Yea found where it was, just couldn't get to it, and when I did it wasn't there. They are always nice there and they do look at you when they check you out. I really like that. I froze all the way to the other end of the parking lot and fought a traffic jam of other eager shoppers trying to enter and exit through what was little more than an alley.

" Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first".
(Ronald Reagan)

Comments

• benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you KNOW the guy bought all the oil. Did you SEE him check out with it. Maybe he was just moving it to a better location for you to pick it up.[}:)][}:)][}:)][;)]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not get an honest reply to any question here. They will only talk of thinks past. [}:)][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    X RING 22WRF

Tideman [In TEXAS]

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you all even go to walmart?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing this wan't your first trip to Wallys',what I can't fathom is why you keep going back!!!!???
    Price is king,and you are it's willing subject.Are a few pennies here and there for those few items worth it?? not to me.:(

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Around here, Walmart and K-Mart are the closest thing we have to a year-round freakshow.

They're generally populated by obese unemployed women with 5 or 6 unwashed children in tow pushing shopping carts overflowing with Kotex and discount cat food.

A couple of months ago we had a couple of local city-dwellers, apparently over-eager to spend their welfare checks, exchange gunfire in the Kmart checkout line. I'm guessing one of 'em must have taken the last Weekly World News or pack of Newports.

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,880 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Around this house we call it Dumb-Mart.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wally World is always an experiecne. I usually hang out in the sporting goods department until the wife is done shopping.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is just about normal for any and all Walmarts i USED to shop.The little money I saved was not worth the hassel.

David Collins
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I like wal-mart.

I go after work on week days. Not weekends (its a zoo).

I zip in get my stuff and then I go to the self checkout aisle's. No waiting. Scan your items slide your credit card get your receipt and your outa there. I never even have to TALK to a soul, just avoid the few peeps who are blocking aisles as I zip in and out.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Wherever you go, the worse the weathere and the more eager you are to get home, the slower the aisle browser are moving. Same thing at the mall, except when it's me that's in no hurry.
    I see the slow movers doing the mall crawl, looking around with robotic, glazed stares, back and forth, back and forth. In grocery stores, it's the cart crawlers, or else the ones buying an entire winter's (or summer's) supply list at the checkout, for Camp Gotchaonceagain.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry bout' buying all the oil there wasn't a limit.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stopped there Sat. to stock up on paper products..tp, p. plates, towels, etc. I needed a couple tins of airgun pellets. Of course these deadly things are kept under lock and key. After I finally found a girlie with a key,she has to find a supervisor and ask if she needs to "walk these up to checkout for me, or can she just hand them over ?"!! After much consideration, they decided I could be trusted with my deadly purchase..What do they think??...that I'm gonna load my concealed full auto pellet pumper and cut loose in the store? Guess if I wait until I get to the parking lot, that's OK..[:(!]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    C&P same thread

Last week I was in walmart while the kids were at
    karate, so I had an hour to kill. In the hunting
    section they had a clear out on stuff. I picked
    up a antler "rattler" bag style, on sale for under
    ten bucks. Normally they are $24.99. So I make my
    way over to sporting goods to get some 22lr bullets.
    I wait around looking at fishing tackle because
    there is no one there at the counter to assist me.
    Finlay I decide to pick up the phone sitting near
    the register and hit the page button."Customer
    assistance to sporting goods" I announce as it
    comes over the loud speaker,( I did it twice)
    I'm not really in a hurry as I have time to kill.
    Finlay some one comes over to the department.
    They don't have any keys to open the ammunition
    cabinet so they call for help. Anyway to make a
    long story shorter Finlay they get me my 22lr
    boxes from some were else inventory I assume.
    So the manager from up stairs is now involved says
    he wants to apologize for my inconvenience
    "approx 30 minutes". So he gives me the rattler
    no charge and discounts the two bricks by almost
    half price. So for $20.00 I left feeling pretty
    good.And thats the end of my walmart story.[8D]

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.