In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Caramel apples and popcorn balls

bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Those were my two favorite Halloween treats as a kid. My granny made the popcorn balls and wrapped them in colored cellophane and my step-dad made the candy apples and wrapped them in wax paper. You don't see that kind of stuff much anymore.

Anybody else lucky enough to get homemade stuff like that?

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kids now days don't know what the good stuff is or was[V] Bigcity you could always make some and have a drawing for old time sake[:D]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I loved the popcorn balls [:p]. I always had a feeling that the entire "razor blade in the apple" was an urban legend and it seems like the only cases of poisoned candy are from sicko parents attempting to kill their own children while using Halloween as cover.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love caramel apples.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct. The "razor blade in the apple" IS an urban legend. None have EVER been found. I read about it a few years ago, someone did a ton of research, and it was ALL second-hand information. As urban legends usually are......

MErc

quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I loved the popcorn balls [:p]. I always had a feeling that the entire "razor blade in the apple" was an urban legend and it seems like the only cases of poisoned candy are from sicko parents attempting to kill their own children while using Halloween as cover.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TooBig
    Kids now days don't know what the good stuff is or was[V] Bigcity you could always make some and have a drawing for old time sake[:D]
    Not a bad idea. I'd have to borrow a double-boiler to do the apples. Ya dare me?
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Maybe they did not put it in the Apple but in the Popcorn balls they have been putting razor blades in them for years out in California.

They used to take the candy in and xray it to make sure it was safe.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I just heard about a guy tonight that has a comercial cotton candy machine he is using to hand out treats
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    I just heard about a guy tonight that has a comercial cotton candy machine he is using to hand out treats

I love cotton candy (although my teeth don't) where is he at?
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz

I love cotton candy (although my teeth don't) where is he at?
    +1 on the cotton candy, I love it.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At our state fair, there are folks every year who make maple sugar cotton candy. It is one reason I didn't miss the fair for over 30 years. I couldn't make it the last two due to health. But my family always brought me some.
    Cotton candy, foot long dog from Barefoot's, barbeque at the NC Pork Producers cafe, french fries from Big Al's. Sure missed'em.
    Plus candy apples of course, and fresh roasted peanuts.
  • Options
    NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I just came across this in the morning paper...
    Razor blade found in child's treat bag.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Razor+blade+found+London+Halloween+treat/7481789/story.html