In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Circular saw question

96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My Sthil(spl?) burned up last night after 13 years of faithful service. Anyone have any experience with Craftsman? Is 3hp the way to go? This is going to be used ,as was the other, for home projects and not a commercial building business.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You had a stihl and you want to go to a craftsman? [xx(]

Does a mercedes driver buy a yugo?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I bought a craftsman a year and a half ago and had nothing but trouble with it. I only use it for home use, nothing even close to commercial. I'm not sure what HP it was, but that thing constantly got stuck going through boards and even ply wood. I went and got a Milwaukee with the aluminum base and I love it, wouldn't have anything different now.

Just my opinion though. [:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Makita is your best choice in a 7-1/2" circular saw.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Yep [:)]

quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Makita is your best choice in a 7-1/2" circular saw.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Porter Cable #347k or Makita 5740NB.[:D]
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My one and only rotary saw was a Craftsman..I had it about five years but used it only three or four times. Gave it to my brother a few months ago, it burned up the second time he used it. Don't know if that's typical, but I sure wouldn't want to try another one.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are just using it for homeowner stuff I have a Skil 2 3/4 hp that does the job. Burnt up a Black and Decker (suprise) The Skil's not as good as the big names but good enough for what I do.

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll throw yet another vote out there for Makita! I had one of their hypoid saws for a while, but just couldn't get the hang of it. I sold it and bought their regular circular saw. I like them because the bottom doesn't seem to get bent or warp like other models.
    I've been using Makita all my life (even when we had up to 33 rental houses) and in that time, I've stripped out the gears in a 9v. cordless right-angle drill while using a 3" holesaw (no suprise) and the bearings are out of my reciprocating saw but I use it to cut the ground around tree stumps and I think the dirt got in the bearing. Either way, I'd still do that, it leaves a nice clean stump-free hole when done.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Makita is the way to go...95% of my power tools are Makita. They outpreform the other brands and are much more durable. I probably have over $50,000 in Makita tools.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use saws almost every day. For home use I would go with a dewalt 7 1/4" 15 amp with the new hard plastic base. For real work you need to go with a worm drive in a skill or millwaulkie.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    We used Grizzly's at the shop for years there a good saw for the money!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not buy a craftsmen circular saw ever again even if it was on sale for $2.00. I have had two in the past for home use and had nothing but problems. The bearings always go bad and then the blade starts to wobble. Craftsmen hand tools are great with the warranty they give you. No craftsmen power tools for me at all. I have been very please with the Black and Decker power tools!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Horsepower doesn't mean much on tools...Amperage rating is how you tell the power of a tool. A circular saw with 13 amps or more is a workhorse and won't bog down if the blade is sharp. Milwaukee or DeWalt would be what I'd go for. If you can find one that has worm gears go for it because they are the toughest.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Craftsmen didn't hold up for me worth a snot replaced it with a Milwaukee.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Milwaukee, you wont be disapointed, great tool with tons power. Very hard to bog it down.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700.jpg
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might be able to fix your saw.
    My DeWalt burned up, and I took it to the dump. Before I tossed it, the guy that works there pointed out to me that the brushes were worn out. He said if I threw it away he would take it and fix it.
    Go figure, a saw mechanic at the dump.
    So I fixed it, easy and cheap.
    If you get a new one, I am a big DeWalt fan. But, the Makita is cheaper and it is a great saw.
  • GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Makita is ok they do make a homeowners model that's 1/2 the cost and works well I prefer the new Porter-cable left hand 10 lb. model lightest on market and makes seeing what your doing much eazyer
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [blue]
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the advise. Milwaukee sounds good but I like allen's idea about checking the brushes. If that's all the problem I can do that. I figured with the smoke and sparks it was a gonner.

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Plumbers usually buy Milwaukee http://www.milwaukeetool.com

The Saw-Zall blade moves along a straight line, vs. a carpenter's reciprocating saw, which typically moves in an elliptical fashion.

If I was in the market, I'd buy a Milwaukee "Worm Drive".
    6377-6.jpg
  • BorgCubeBorgCube Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use a circular much. I have a dewalt compound miter and tablesaw set up to be portable so that I can roll the setups into my trailers. I also carry a small Dewalt 18v trim saw. If I need a circular I have an old Black and Decker on standby.

"I can think of dozens of reasons not to have hi-cap mags, but it's the one reason I can't think of that I need them!"
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still have my good ole Skil saw and it works great!
    10 yrs old.
    I just bought a new finish sander and it was a Makita.

I just dabble around the home and select jobs.

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've had three craftsman circular saws over the years and wore
    the bearings out of each. I now own a Skil saw and it's great.
    My dad was a master carpenter and always had a Skil saw,once in a while he would replace the brushes. Good saws but like anything
    else (barring craftsman) no matter what you buy,you pretty much
    get what you pay for.