In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taxidermist problem

sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I drove out to the taxidermist's today to pick up my bearskin rug. I shot a nice six foot nose-to-tail black bear up in Ontario last September, and decided to make a rug out of him. When I dropped him off at the taxidermist's, I was very adamant about having the right size teeth in his mouth, since it would be an open mouth bear rug. On my two other bears, a half body mount and a full body mount, both bears have teeth sets that are smaller than the actual bear had. I even had the taxidermeist's assistant measure the top front fang, and it was just a shade over 1 1/4 inches long. I also specified that there should be no large gap between the lip and the teeth, since there is no gap in the actual bears mouth.

Well, much to my surprise, when I looked at the bear rug, there was about an inch wide gap from the lip (both upper and lower) and the teeth, exactly what I clearly said I did not want. And another surprise, the teeth were smaller than the actual bears teeth. The front top fang measures one inch, and the bottom fangs are 3/4 of an inch, all shorter and thinner than the actual teeth. I was extremely displeased, and told the taxidermist and his wife that this was unacceptable. They gave me the lame excuse of how they order the teeth based upon the measurement of the head, but the teeth in my rug are NOT as big as the actual teeth. The guy says he's going to use some epoxy and build up the teeth to make them longer. I'm going back Friday of next week.

The big problem is, what if I'm still not pleased with the work? I can't just say "Fine, keep my $400 deposit and my rug", because it's my bear, and I paid good money to have a quality job done the way I wanted it done. I know I could tell him that I won't pay for it until the job is done to my satisfaction, but what if he flat out refuses to re-do the teeth? What are my options then? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Usually best not to look for trouble in advance. It sounds like the taxidermist is trying to please you, so you have to wait and see what he does. He's not going to want a dissatisfied customer.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    There's not much you can really do about it. He may be so busy
    he doesn't care.I would look for a different taxidermist, although
    I know that doesn't help you now.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    f9a9dbe2.jpg

I've got a couple lifesize Bears,but this is my favorite shoulder mount.....................
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he can't fix it to your satisfaction, maybe you can at least convince him to come down on the price. It's kind of a touchy situation since he's got your bear and $400. If your expectations are realistic and he cannot meet them though, I'm sure he'd rather drop the price a bit than have you telling all your buddies what a poor job he did.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Way to hard to find a GREAT taxidermist's, if you come across one that is decent and takes a year or less to complete your stuff your lucky.

My guess is that he will come off $100 if your really unhappy.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    The money is not the issue here. I don't care about paying less money, I want the work done properly, exactly the way I want it to look. Even if he gives me the bear rug without charging me the balance I owe, I'm still not going to be happy, because I want the correct size teeth in its mouth. And as far as future business goes, there is no way in Hell I'm going to bring him any more work, or ever recommend him to anyone. Right now, my main concern is having the job done the right way, and knowing what my options are in case he puts me in a "take it or leave it" situation.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    You could accept the work at a discount, then take the mount to another taxidermist for repair work.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I would think that if he is unable to fix the problems, a trip to small claims would be in order. From what you described, he's not even close to acceptable on the mount. What's the point of having a mount done if you get a different critter than the one you dropped off?

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why couldn't he use the real teeth?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    The scull, teeth , eyes and nose are manufactured. Only the cape is
    used in taxidermy today. It lasts longer and doesn't attract bugs
    and odors.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walk in wearing ever hand gun you own the ask if your rug is done yet[:D]

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I forgot. Slaps self upside head. Duh.....
    I blame it on CRS.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • alarmguyalarmguy Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, I ONE OF THE NEW GUY'S
    I ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE TO ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
    HE IS PROVIDING A SEVICE, YOU SOULD GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

NEVER BACK DOWN.
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you're alredy certain of a future problem.
    I have a close aquaintance, a taxidermist of some renown in the NW Oregon, SW Wasington area, and the last thing he wants is to have an unhappy client.
    Word travels fast in orgs. like the Safari Club and Rocky Mountain Sheep Fndtn.
    Give the guy a chance to do the right thing by you,,,,, and if he doesn't?
    Woodshermit has given you the best solution you're going to find!
    IMHO

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    Sounds like you're alredy certain of a future problem.
    I have a close aquaintance, a taxidermist of some renown in the NW Oregon, SW Wasington area, and the last thing he wants is to have an unhappy client.
    Word travels fast in orgs. like the Safari Club and Rocky Mountain Sheep Fndtn.
    Give the guy a chance to do the right thing by you,,,,, and if he doesn't?
    Woodshermit has given you the best solution you're going to find!
    IMHO

Oh, I'm giving him a chance. I'm giving him a week and a half more than what he said it would take to fix the teeth. I'm just trying to anticipate what might happen, good or bad, and be prepared for it ahead of time. The thing that irritates me the most is how I was so specific about what I wanted done, and equally specific about what I did NOT want done. Despite that, he still did the job the way I did not want it to be done. If I told him to use his discretion and do the job how he thought it should look, I'd have no room for criticism. But I was very specific, and I am very displeased. Any other ideas or opinions? The more information I have, the better I can handle this situation.