In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning A-Bolt Or Remington 700?

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Got the OK from the little woman to spend some of the tax return on a new rifle, I want another bolt gun in .270 winchester and was considering the Browning A-bolt medalian or just getting another Remington 700BDL. I had the chance to look at an A-bolt at my local store and i realy liked it, The quality LOOKS 100% better than any 700BDL i ever had in my safe.What do you guys think about the A-Bolt?

use_deer.jpg

Comments

• flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About a month ago I bought a Browning Eclipse Hunter A-Bolt in 30-06. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but based on my limited time with it the quality is much higher than anything else I have in my safe. Shoots well, and the action is very nice.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my a-bolt.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an A-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm/08 and it's a real tack driver and has a nice trigger too. I sight in several rifles a year for friends and the A-Bolt is one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've ever shot. I like the tang safety and the 60 degree bolt lift for low scope mounting. I would take an A-Bolt over a 700 any time. Over the years I've sighted in a 7mag and 300mag a .270 win, .270WSM and two .25-06's plus my own 7mm/08, all have at least shot 1 inch groups or better.

The Recollection of Quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    I have an A-Bolt stainless stalker in 300winmag and I wouldnt get rid of it for anything.

Best rifle I have ever owned period!

JuJu(can you tell I like mine)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    You won't regret getting an A-bolt, I promise ya!

I love mine, not as much as my model 70's, but it's a great gun.

you got yourself a nice lady there, tax refund on guns is a wonderful thing..[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I own an older model Browning, pre A-bolt, in 7mm mag. I've had it for about 25 years and it has been and continues to be a beauty. The only problem I ever had was the magazine well cover plate got a small hairline fracture about two years ago. I believe it was due to continuously allowing the plate to swing out while the mag was fully loaded for so many years. I wrote a nice letter telling them how pleased I was with rifle and asked where I could get a replacement for the cover plate. I printed out two copies of the letter, sent one to their service dept. and the other to the sales dept. Within a week I recieved a small box from their sales dept with the entire assembly enclosed and a nice letter thanking me for purchasing Browning products. About one or two days after that I recieved a letter back from their service dept wanting me to ship them the gun, at my expense, and they would let me know how much they would charge to fix it. Needless to say I replaced it myself and had a good chuckle. I also bought a Remington 700 last year before deer season and I like it alot to. I don't think you'll go wrong with either no matter which one you go with.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 of one,.1/2 dozen of another. The a-bolt action is glass smooth. I have a 7-08 medallion and love it. BUT,...ALL of my custom rigs are built on the 700 action. The 700 has an adjustable trigger (a big advantage). The 700 action has more aftermarket parts and gunsmiths anywhere who will work on it. For a hunting rig which you will probably never change or customize,..the a-bolt is great,..but if you ever wish to rebarrel or upgrade,..there is no substitute for the 700 rem.

Let your purpose decide the action for you. The a-bolt is hard to beat,...but the 700rem is the 350cid chevy of the rifle world.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A bolt, I have the predecessor BBR in 7 08 and like the short bolt lift. And a smooth action I dont know about the current crop of A bolts but the trigger on my gun is adjustable the new ones may be also be. I dont care for the quality of the new Remingtons either, j locks, plastic parts, fit finnish, the 710 says it all yuck.

psalms 16