In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

500-Pound Woman's Caretakers Charged With Neglect

mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
500-Pound Woman's Caretakers Charged With Neglect

Reported by, Matt Johnson
Because Peggie is so heavy, she needs someone to take care of her 24 hours a day.

Because Peggie is so heavy, she needs someone to take care of her 24 hours a day.

A 500-pound Chattanooga woman's caretakers are behind bars. Channel Three first told you about 52 year old Peggie Johnson last month when Channel Three help highlight her need to install a larger door in her home. Now, Peggie's story takes a sad turn. Johnson's husband and her daughter are in jail.

Everyone was excited for Peggie when she got that new door, now she faces yet another challenge. Because Peggie is so heavy, she needs someone to take care of her 24 hours a day.

Police say Peggie's husband and daughter were neglecting her by not feeding her or keeping her clean. When those allegations came to light, police discovered an even more disgusting twist.

"No, I don't want to be neglected, I don't want to be sitting in my own urine, my own waste," Johnson said. At more than five-hundred pounds, Peggie Johnson relies on family and friends to care for her. "Charles and Mary both was doing it, but then they got arrested last night and I got nobody now, I'm just stuck here," she said.

Peggie says taking care of her can be a lot of work and her husband Charles, and daughter Mary may have just had enough. "I wish Charles wasn't in there, I wish Charles could come back and do like he's supposed to and help me get out of this bed like he promised and be here for me and help me," she said.

Charles Johnson and Mary Alice Nichols are charged with willful abuse, neglect and exploitation of an adult. "I depended on him a whole lot and no I don't want him in jail and I depended on him and I hate to know what happen, but the officer said he just wasn't going to keep letting it go on and on and on," Johnson said.

On top of the neglect, the two are charged with incest for apparently having sex, Peggie says that's the most painful part. "It's just sad and it hurts so bad for what's happened and what's been going on, and I really don't know the words to say," she said. Now, the news of the arrests, put a damper on Peggie's hopes for a new life. "I was so happy when my new door went in and Charles even helped work on the door and everything, and so I could have a new life and I could go out and do things and we can go places and that, and now this," she said.

Johnson and Nichols will both be in a Hamilton County court on Friday facing their two charges. If you're wondering what classifies incest, Tennessee state law says step-parents and even adopted parents can be charged with incest, even though they are not blood relatives.

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    If you're wondering what classifies incest, Tennessee state law says step-parents and even adopted parents can be charged with incest, even though they are not blood relatives.

Well now I don't have to look it up. Don
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i don't know what attracts me most to this story, a 500 pound woman covered in her own excrement, or the incest

closer the kin the deeper it goes in
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Words fail me. . .
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was responsible for that woman she'd be living on salad.[:D]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    Well..... was it a step-daughter/adoptted daughter?
    Was this incest-incest, or was it just akward situation that is technically incest under the law?
    I think both are wrong, but one is so much more wrong than the other.

How did they become her legal caretakers?

They aren't her parents, shes well over 18, what legal obligation do they have to her?

500 pounds, I would just stop feeding her until she could get up and feed herself.... actually... Id give her a multivitamin, 50 grams of protein, and 600 calories of carbohydrates a day.
    Then I'd attach those excercize things that send electric shocks through your body.

There is NO EXCUSE for being 500 pounds, that is ridiculous, Im almost of the opinion that people like that should be shot, they contribute nothing to society if they cant even move.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sickening on all levels.
    Pete
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    Perfectly healthy, perfectly normal...

I thought the one funny part was that not feeding her was considered abuse!
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Fun to read so many opinions, with so little information.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FEEEEED MEEEEE!!
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    man, all he has to do is file for divorce and his problems are over........

no incest and no neglect.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    quote:There is NO EXCUSE for being 500 pounds, that is ridiculous, Im almost of the opinion that people like that should be shot, they contribute nothing to society if they cant even move.

Don't shoot the fat lady, shoot the people that kept feeding her and allowed her to get that way.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My weapon of choice would be a harpoon.