In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50th High School Reunion

DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Next year. University High School, Los Angeles. I won't be going, but here are a few other alums:

Jan Berry (Jan & Dean)
Jeff Bridges
James Brolin
David Cassidy
Sandra Dee
John Densmore (friends since 8th grade)
Danny Elfman
Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme
Judy Garland
Jack Jones
Robby Krieger
Sue Lyon
Roddy McDowall
Penelope Ann Miller
Marilyn Monroe
Randy Newman
Ryan O'Neal
Paul Petersen
Tommy Rettig (friends until his death, mid-90's)
Frank Sinatra, Jr.
Nancy Sinatra
Pat Smear
Elizabeth Taylor
Marshall Thompson
Tone L?c
Dean Torrence (Jan & Dean)

Comments

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be a sizeable school.

It's hard to believe Sandra Dee got that old, but then it's hard for me to believe I'm married to a little old lady.

If you can, you should go. I missed both mine and my wife's. Sometimes I wish I had gone. If I had gone I doubt if I would wish I had missed them.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hey, DWS..I had the hots for June Lockhart when I was a kid. Did you ever have the chance to meet her?

TY, Joe
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I didn't miss them the four years I was in the sevice, and I still don't miss them. I've met up with about two hundred of them in the last thirty years. I don't see a great loss of not being around them. Don't get me wrong, they are all nice people. The law is finally catching up to most of them.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap. I am not really much impressed with celebrity, but there are only four on that list I have never heard of.

If I listed my entire high school class there would not be one you had heard of.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Must be a sizeable school.

It's hard to believe Sandra Dee got that old, but then it's hard for me to believe I'm married to a little old lady.

If you can, you should go. I missed both mine and my wife's. Sometimes I wish I had gone. If I had gone I doubt if I would wish I had missed them.

From that whole list I knew only Densmore and Rettig, and I knew Rettig from outside school (he had already graduated when I was a freshman).

I hated high school. And most of my friends never made it out of the 60's (drugs and/or Vietnam). Going to the reunion makes no sense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Hey, DWS..I had the hots for June Lockhart when I was a kid. Did you ever have the chance to meet her?

No, but I did meet quite a few others. This was the high school serving Brentwood/Westwood/Bel Air/Holmby Hills, so many students had celebrity parents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep

No, but I did meet quite a few others. This was the high school serving Brentwood/Westwood/Bel Air/Holmby Hills, so many students had celebrity parents.

Thanks. I thought that perhaps Rettig may have invited you on the set during a shooting. He worked with Lockhart for several years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I thought that perhaps Rettig may have invited you on the set during a shooting. He worked with Lockhart for several years.

No, I met Tom at the Orange Julius in Westwood Village in 1958, several years after he had been on Lassie. We became friends, even though he was 2+ years older. He would come to my house, but I was never invited to his. He always had an ineffable sadness about him. Not sure why.

Thirty years later I ran into him in a hotel in Denver. We were in the same business (software) and renewed our friendship. I was immediately struck by the same sadness I saw in him when we were kids.

Anyway, Tom died soon after. I wrote this for the funeral:

FOR TOM

Let us not admit impediments then, between the nettles and the buttercups, but hold parliament with fair Lass again where the haystacks pile up high and green in summer, beneath a blue forever sky; when all our parables are ended, shall we go there you and I? There are magi in the mustard fields, they make auras for the morning; there are cherry pies and butterflies and hummingbirds adorning every corner of the barnyard, and every day is slow and lazy.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

No, I met Tom at the Orange Julius in Westwood Village in 1958, several years after he had been on Lassie. We became friends, even though he was 2+ years older. He would come to my house, but I was never invited to his. He always had an ineffable sadness about him. Not sure why.

Thirty years later I ran into him in a hotel in Denver. We were in the same business (software) and renewed our friendship. I was immediately struck by the same sadness I saw in him when we were kids.

Anyway, Tom died soon after. I wrote this for the funeral:

FOR TOM

Let us not admit impediments then, between the nettles and the buttercups, but hold parliament with fair Lass again where the haystacks pile up high and green in summer, beneath a blue forever sky; when all our parables are ended, shall we go there you and I? There are magi in the mustard fields, they make auras for the morning; there are cherry pies and butterflies and hummingbirds adorning every corner of the barnyard, and every day is slow and lazy.

That's a beautiful poem; comforting comes to mind.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder

Thanks. Coming from you, that's quite a compliment.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Clouder Doesnt Lie[;)]quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drink some "funky cold madina" just to honor your classmates since you won't be attending.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DWS..thanks for the heads-up.

Best, Joe
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're all getting closer all the time!
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1

This warm and fuzzy DWS is starting to worry me a bit.

He always was such a complex whoR...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

To know complex you have to be complex, shyster; complex you are not. I think you take this internet banter a lot more seriously than you should and a whole lot more so than the sheepman does.

Did you entertain youself a lot when you were younger?

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1

To know complex you have to be complex, shyster; complex you are not. I think you take this internet banter a lot more seriously than you should and a whole lot more so than the sheepman does.

Clouder..

Oh my! Whiteclouder has spoken - so let it be written.

You miss my meaning entirely...Better writer than a reader, I imagine...
  • Options
    edited November -1

Clouder..

Oh my! Whiteclouder has spoken - so let it be written.

You miss my meaning entirely...Better writer than a reader, I imagine...

Entirely possible, mattie, but I can only read what's written, What's intended to be imparted in your responsibility, n'est pas?

Clouder..
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well the good news is you'll be able to get plenty of pills and advice on colostomy bag maintenance.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheepThirty years later I ran into him in a hotel in Denver. We were in the same business (software) and renewed our friendship. I was immediately struck by the same sadness I saw in him when we were kids.
    Funny how that works. I came across a recent pic of my HS sweetheart online the other day. Hadn't seen her in 30 years, but she was sporting the same "look".

ANGLETON PD makes you get in an orange jumpsuit just for half an ounce of weed?
    At least they let her brush her hair first! [Hey, the weed was probably her kids'. Yea, right!]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Entirely possible, mattie, but I can only read what's written, What's intended to be imparted in your responsibility, n'est pas?

Clouder..

Just playing with the SheepDog. He knows my intentions...