In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'll Ask Over Here Too (Fiber Optic Sights)

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I put this question over on the Experts Forum, and I've decided to copper my bet and post it here (the more potential respondents, the more possibility I'll get it answered):

Can any of you recommend a fiber-optic sight to replace the crappy brass-bead front and goofy semi-buckhorn rear sights on my Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifle? And while we're on the subject of replacement parts....Where can I get a large-loop replacement lever for it?

Muchas appreciado for any help on this....

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help, the only FO sites I have are on a TC Black Diamond and they are also low end.

I am facinated with the expression "copper my bet." Never heard that one. Any idea as to its origin?

He Dog the curious (with apologies to Mudge the Magnificient)
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It means, basically, that you're fixing things in a risky or uncertain situation in such a way that there's either no way you'll lose, or the risk of your losing is drastically reduced. It APPEARS to come from the old card-game of Faro:

"Coppering

The Punters have the option of "Coppering" a bet. This means placing a copper token (traditionally a Penny) on top of the bet. A Coppered bet wins on the first card, and loses on the second (the opposite of a usual bet)."
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I really like that, though I am not a betting man. Come to think of it I guess you are not either.[8D]

He Dog
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi-viz makes a ton of different front sights, I personally don't care for them, but they do make magnetic strips with the sight attached so you wouldn't be out to much if you decided you didn't like it.

quote:trstone Posted - 02/24/2004 : 1:18:44 PM
    It means, basically, that you're fixing things in a risky or uncertain situation in such a way that there's either no way you'll lose, or the risk of your losing is drastically reduced. It APPEARS to come from the old card-game of Faro:

How do you know stuff like that????[:D]

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by the way the reason I didn't care for the hi-viz sites was because they were so bright that it took my attention away from every thing else. I had it on a shotgun for the purpose of trap shooting.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you ought to look at TruGlo Glo-Dot FO sites. The front site snaps into place over the bead-dot area. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they're relatively inexpensive ($17.00) and they have a 'super-bright' aim point, according to description..

take a looksie here at TrueGlo and possibly other contenders
    http://www.eders.com/catalog/SHOWPROD.CFM?DID=9&CATID=15356&OBJECTGROUP_ID=79823

http://www.wildwestguns.com/Accessories/body_accessories.html

Wild West guns makes large loop levers for the 1895. I've been looking into buying one for the 1895 I picked up this last weekend, since the stocker barely fits my hand. Scroll down the link to find their levers..

I'll post any more links/information if I find more.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is MARVELOUS! You folks are MUCH quicker to respond here than in the other forum. I just knew it was a smart idea to do a dual post to this group, and you've all proved my point!

Dave W: How do I know this stuff? Well, I read alot when I was young (and I still do, thank God, or my brain would be mush) and---though it's more of a detriment to learning nowadays---watched alot of TV when I was a kid. I'm fascinated by colorful turns of phrase, and I've had something of an abiding interest in the culture and styles of speaking and writing of the late 19th century since I was a boy (thanks, in part, to stuff like the original Wild Wild West.) I used to make my associates in High School shake their heads when I used phrases like "copper your bet" (though it seemed perfectly natural to me), and I've just grown into the habit of using such things in my speech and writing....
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Buy the Marble tang site for the back, and get the Marble globe site for the front, you won't be sorry! It's not hi vis but you will have much more accuracy, and it will look much more authentic!!!
    marblesoutdoors.com/sights

The correct tang for the cowboy is catalog # 9805, you can buy them the cheapest at[url] http://www.amback.com [/url]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever since I added my fiberoptic sights I have become a way better shot and It will let me stay out there longer and not miss that shot, although I added them to my shotgun [:D] turkey here I come!
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Coppering...

Well I'll be damned...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye