In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Raccoon.

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hi, well last evening my family noticed a raccoon in our front trre and none of us have thought anything about it, we figured it would just sleep then go aaway! Well tonight to this very second he's is about 19 ft. off the ground and in my front yard. I no their nocturnal and he's not dead, so any suggestions on why he won't leave to eat or sleep or anything?
P.S. I will keep everyone posted on this subject every day it's here.

Comments

• Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep an eye on him, he may be rabid. When raccoons, foxes and other animals are where they shouldnt be and act strange, its a good chance they have rabies.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where you live? Me and the dog will be right there!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot it, burn it, bury it ask questions latter

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flash light and a 22LR Then call it a Night[xx(][xx(]

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you saying he has been in the tree for 24 hours straight, or are you saying he just has been seen in the tree in the evening?
    I would be real careful, * don't want to make a nest right in a front yard right next to your house. He could have rabies, it makes 'em crazy.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    If it were here, I'd call the Sheriff's Dept first. I'm in town and already got some heat for discharging (New Years Eve, 4 p.m.)

And again, I shot a huge one off the porch when it was squared off against my Maine * with the feed dish between them. And never heard a peep outta nobody.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be rabid or have distemper. Don't fool around with a potentially rabid animal that close to your family. If you can't shoot it where you live then, as jsergovic stated, call the sheriff or animal contorl and get it out of there ASAP. It's not worth the risk to let it stay.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A.GUN,Last weekend, we had the exact same dilemma. I mean that rascal just would not budge from that little tree crotch he was in, even after a few BBs in the rear. Two 12 ga. slugs cut the branch, dropping him at my feet. After a long look that either said "thanks", or "you a##hole", he didn't stop runnin'. And no, they don't land on their feet...[:D]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    sounds to risky to me. I'd shoot it then burn it. Rabies are nothing to mess around with and for that * to be there that long then it is sick.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Two years ago my family came back from vacation. My mom opened the door between the garage and the house to let the family cat in. Instead of a cat coming in, a giant racoon jumped through the door and onto her leg, scratching her all up. Mom, reasonably, was rather freaked out! The * jumped off of her and ran downstairs into the basement. Dad gathered up mom and the kids and had them all go sit on the bed in the master bed room. He then retrieved a small .22 and went "Hunting." He corned the * in the den, and shot it through the head. The bullet traveled through it's head, through a window embedding itself in the metal window well. Problem was the racoon didn't die. It took 4 more shots (two to the head, two more to the body) before the * stopped moving. We took the racoon's body to the hospital with mom so that they could both be checked for rabies. Luckily the tests registered negative, and aside from deep scratches mom was ok. From all of this I have learned to shoot racoons and ask questions later. Believe me, you don't want one in your house, nor do you want to have to shoot one in your house, (it makes a horrible mess!!) If I can find them, I will post pictures.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Call the game warden tell them you have a possible rabid * they will take care of it.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:(it makes a horrible mess!!) If I can find them, I will post pictures.

Those are some pics I GOTTA see.

Raccoons are nasty little bast**ds and will tear you a new one in a heartbeat.

Texas Raccoon Rx:

Relax, inhale, sight on target, exhale, squeeze trigger. Repeat as needed until symptoms disappear.

Using caution and gloves, bag animal and give to TOOLS1 so that he can place it in the front seat of his neighbor's car...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye