In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What Nail Gun To Buy?

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Soon it will be getting warmer and I will commence the many repairs needed on my fixer-upper house. What's a good nail gun? Which should I stay away from? - Toe

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    its like picking out a real gun the bigger the better

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always had good luck with hitachi's
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always had good luck with hitachi's
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Get an impulse nailer and do away with the need for a compressor and hoses. I have a Paslode framer that shoots 2-31/4 inch nails. It is well balanced and light. Cuts framing time down by a good 60%. Cost is around $350 and worth every penny. They also make a finish nailer for about $50 bucks less.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Paslode Powermaster Plus for Framing
    Hitachi for roofing (shingles)
    Senco for finish nailer
    Bostich or Senco for Brad nailer

All have served me well over the years. Do not buy an Impulse Gun...they will drive you nuts. They are slow, and not always reliable.

As for compressors, I would go with an Emglo 2 1/2 HP oil bath...it should last you a life time, and will easily keep up with 2 framing nailers going full speed.[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, just like a regular gun. The best one is full auto, belt fed.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have Bostitch:

N-80 & N-88 framing, 2 roofing, a finish and a brad nailers.

The Paslode are nice because you don't have to mess with the air hose. I have used one it was all right. I didn't try rapid firing with it I was just putting in some bracing.

The Senco are OK I've use the framing, finish & brad.

I prefer my Bostitch. They where the first ones I ever used, this may be why I prefer them.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bostitch makes a great product, seen many that have been abused or fell off roofs and they keep on running. I have seen a Senco that did nothing but jamb, right from new.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
    IMG_8700.jpg
  • reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always used paslode or hitachi. Both a great nail guns. Whatever one you get make sure it is a brand used by contractors and not one designed for the do it yourself home builder. There is a difference in the quality of the tools.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice. Leaning towards a Paslode and will probably pick one up soon. - Toe
  • JEEROME589JEEROME589 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TOE, THINK ABOUT THIS, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THIS GUN. A DUO-FAST ROUND HEAD WILL SHOOT A CONCRETE NAIL, EVERYTHING ELSE IS A CLIP HEAD. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE USING A NAIL GUN. COSTS ARE WITHIN 20.00 BUCKS. IT IS A AIR GUN. WAYNE.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Brother swears by Hitachi because he likes a light gun. I am not impressed and the plastic on the nails leaves a mess. ZR700 is right about Senco, they are junk. My buddy has a porter cable which I liked, pretty light but seemed ok for durability/strength of materials. My company is switching to paslodes because they get a free gun with every pallot of nails ordered and we go through about as fast as we get them. BUT... I have two bostitch framers. They are old and I hated them at first, but I love them now. It is because they are so tough. As stated before, I have seen them dropped to concrete and it didn't phase 'em. Mine have had hundreds of thousands of nails through them, and they still go. I dread the day when they give up the ghost and I have to accept one of them new paslodes.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:originally posted by jpwolf:
    ZR700 is right about Senco, they are junk.

This is certainly true of their newer framing nailers.
    Just let me say, for framing nailers,,,HITACHI!!
    We use Senco SFN IV finish nailers however, and they work very well for a huge range of applications.
    The pin nailers, or "brad nailers" that we use for trim are Porter Cable.
    They are the older ones and are almost indestructible.
    I've used a newer Porter Cable and it was lots of plastic and had a real flimsy, fragile feeling to it. Maybe it was one of their low priced "do-it-yourselfer" models.
  • snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Senco makes a great gun. Way over-priced, though. Nails, too. Hitachi, Paslode , Bostich, Duo-fast, porter-cable, all good guns. I like Duo-fast, I own Senco framing nailer, Paslode finish nailers. Do not get the Impulse framing nailer, too slow. Trimpulse finish nailer is a good choice, if you are going to use it regularly, used sporadically, the batteries die, the fuel cells gradually leak down, the electrical contacts get corroded, just too much headache.. An air nailer, properly maintained, will be ready to run any time you pick it up. ... Just the opinion of an old carpenter...It's worth what you paid for it...

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harborfreight has a Porter-Cable clone for about $100. should last you just keep it oiled save the money over name brands
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Heckler & Koch NG5K.
    [:D]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye