In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Keep the words kind

dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
If you disagree with someone on thier post, at least keep your words to a clean minimum. No since in getting everyone in an uproar over words. e do not always agree "[:D]" but at least we can be civil about it. Just my opinion, Don.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Don, have ya gone NUTS!![:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree... Disagree and debate all ya want, just keep it above the belt. We don't need any political-type mud-slinging here!
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not gone nuts, yet, I just think that we should be a bit more respectable.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    Hey Don, it was a little play on words. Nuts, like yummy pecan nuts!![:D]

JC

• stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Speaking strictly for myself,,,,,,,,,, when I decide I don't like the heat, I leave the frikkin kitchen!

But thanks just the same. It's been a while since one of the gals posted to tell us all how we should behave.
    I needed someone to remind me how much I didn't miss it!

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
    edited November -1
    Stan, the internet is a faceless place. People often behave ways online they'd never dream of doing in person (or face getting thier tail kicked). If everyone was a jerk on here, then pretty soon no one would want to come here. A little civility in an uncivilized place is a good thing...
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter,
    As a construction manager, I spend 8-12 hrs. a day, basically babysitting grown men. In the day to day quest to achieve the ultimate goal(timely and profitable completion of a high quality project) I am obliged to choke back my true feelings and opinions about client's indecisiveness and unrealistic expectations, about sub-contractor's bad attitudes, ineptitude, poor work ethic and lack of customer service. I swallow my words because, as we all know, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
    While I, and my boss, have been told on many occasions that I'm "too demanding", I've never had a sub refuse to work on my jobs. I have however, told more than a few, in no uncertain terms and with full explanation, that they will not be welcomed on another of my jobs.
    But I digress.
    When I visit this forum, I don't feel the need to "bite my tongue" in the interest of some greater good. I DO feel free to call a spade a spade and if that offends someone's sensitivities, that's just too da^^n bad! Unlike many members, I don't "keep score" on the forum. Meaning, I don't (with a few noteable exceptions) try to remember who I agreed with or disagreed with from one thread to the next or one day to the next. I may disagree vehemently with a member on one thread and then find myself in complete agreement with them on the next. I try to refrain from engaging in name calling, unless another member crosses that line first, in which case I'm more than happy to play that game.
    As I've said before, I don't come here to make friends, brown nose the moderator or to try to schmoose my way into the "GB good old boy's club". I don't invite all my friends and family members to join so that I have my own personal cheerleading section and we can use the board as our private message center.
    I come here to share my opinions on a variety of subjects from guns to overpriced motorcycles to politics and to read the opinions of others on the same subjects.
    If I step on some toes or get mine stepped on in the process, I'm a big boy and I can handle that and I would hope everyone else can too.
    I DO harbor some resentment for those that would try to tell us all how we should behave and how we should respond to those we disagree with.
    If we all held hands and sang "The Barney Song", this would be a VERY boring forum. IMHO

Stan

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Most of the guys who do the spouting off, hide behind someone else's skirt! If you notice most, do not have any info in their profile! They go by initials or fictious names. They are big men behind a computer screen, but basically if confronted face to face they are spineless whelps!

I do my best to try to stay away from their posts, and as times pass, they eventually hang themselves and are completly ignored or are banned from posting! Most try to come back under a new user name, but are soon sniffed out and identified!!

I agree that of late there are a few on here that seem to get their jollies off by constantly harrasing other members posts! Most of us just consider the source, their basically trolls!!!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    Stan, we're not saying you shouldn't say what's on your mind but there's quite often more than one way to say it. For example:

The wife tries on a new blouse and asks you if she looks fat in it. You could say hell yes and you'd likely sleep on the couch for a week. If you say that it's not as flattering as some you are basically telling her that she should keep looking.

I've had people dispute my opinions all the time on here, it is no problem at all. We all have our beliefs and our reasons for them. You can try to persuade me to think like you and that is no problem at all. On the other hand, call me an idiot for thinking a certian way and I should be thinking another way and it's a whole different scenario.

Dcon isn't saying (at least my perception) that we should all hold hands, light our Zippo's, and sway to 60's rebel rock he's just saying keep it above the belt. Most of all, don't attack a persons character for thier posts.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (ligheters held high) "All we are saying is give peace a chance..."

You are right Bambi, it does not work. I too appreciate civil. Doesn't not have to be agreeable, often is not. But your post Stanman shows you are indeed civil. You likely can disagree without name calling or personal attacks. That is for trolls.

He Dog
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually manage to keep the tone of my posts civil - even with trolls, and try to avoid the few here whose views or behaviors are so widely divergent from my own that just seeing the user names raises my blood pressure, but I do fall down on occasion. With few exceptions, I mean no harm, but I refuse to park my political / philosophical integrity (such as it may be) at the door.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Group Hug![:p]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Stanman. Deciding what is, and what is not appropriate or "civil" is very subjective. For example, many people around here would consider any type of criticism or dissent of the presidents policies as "hitting below the belt", or uncivil. Time after time, members who are loyalists will belly ache about these criticisms- For example, I dont know how many times in the past two weeks I have seen PABooger belly ache about the "bush bashing"-it bothers him so much, he feels the need to notify everyone that he refuses to read them, and how he is sick and tired of it-and then goes on to say that some mebers no longer visit this sight, because they are sick of the Bush bashing, as if to imply the sight is going down hill because opinions are being expressed that he does not agree with. I have NEVER read anything on this sight that personally offended me. Do I disagree? Often. Do people take shots at me "below the belt"? Often. But am I really going to get worked up because some guy sitting at a computer somewhere said I was an *? No.

quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Most of the guys who do the spouting off, hide behind someone else's skirt! If you notice most, do not have any info in their profile! They go by initials or fictious names. They are big men behind a computer screen, but basically if confronted face to face they are spineless whelps!
    This is not the first time I have seen this opinion expressed, and IMHO, it is ridiculous. You want to post your personal info, fine. I think you are a fool for doing so, but thats your business. I do not find it necessary that the people I dialogue with on this sight, know my name, where I live, and what my social security number is.Thye do not need this info, and therefore I do not provide it. Personally, I NEVER share information about myself with anyone unless it is necessary. When I go to the gun store to buy blackpowder, and they tell me they want my drivers license, I say no. When I go to Costco, and they say they want my social security number, I say no. When I go to the supermarket, and they ask me for my phone number, I say no. 999 out of 1000 people on this sight would not use that info for vindictive or illegal purposes. But I am not going to give that info so that one loose cannon decides to use that info to cause me harm. Does that make me a "spineless welp"? I dont know, and I dont care. I just see it as being a case of "Its none of your business, and that infrormation is not necessary for our purposes".

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    "Strong Men have strong thoughts, often expressed crudely" - U.S. Grant

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I stay in a constant state of "tone down." Often without success...but Nunn has been kind as have most of ya'll!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger

I do my best to try to stay away from their posts, and as times pass, they eventually hang themselves and are completly ignored or are banned from posting! Most try to come back under a new user name, but are soon sniffed out and identified!!

I agree that of late there are a few on here that seem to get their jollies off by constantly harrasing other members posts! Most of us just consider the source, their basically trolls!!!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!

This is borderline comical.[:D]

JC

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I am saying it is good to disagree. It is good to have your opinion. But when you resort to calling others names, then you have fallen bact to the kindergarten mentality and really have nothing to say. State your opinion, I always state mine. But just be big about and leave the name calling to the kids. Stan, your first post is a classic example. Thank you. Don

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Group Hug![:p]

Lol, taht's what we need [8D][8D][:D]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Your opinion blows. Matt