In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Concealed Carry Question

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I read the book they gave from front to back and couldn't find the answer to this question.
Can I conceal carry on the gambling boat in Indiana? I forgot to leave my firearm in the truck friday night and didn't notice til we were boarding the gambling boat. It was a half mile walk back to the truck so I just looked for signs prohibiting them. I didn't see any signs, so just entered. I made it through security just fine but was worried all evening. Did I break any rules in doing this?

Comments

• steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    Hi. I have a concealed carry permit and I carry often. When I carry a semi-auto handgun, I do not feel safe carrying it with one in the chamber. I usually carry with the safety off (if there is one) and nothing in the chamber. The problem is that if I ever had to use it (and I hope to God I never do) I would have to take a second to rack a round in the chamber. I have the following semi-auto handguns:
    Colt 1991A1 .45, Taurus PT92 9mm, Ruger P95 9mm, Sig Trailside .22,
    Beretta 418 .25. Is it safe to carry any of these guns with one in the chamber? Does anyone who carrys carry any of these guns with one in the chamber (and the safety on)? Why or why not? Thanks. - Toe
    edited November -1
    Because of school shootings like V tech, I heard on a newscast today that some states were considering allowing persons with CC to be allowed to carry on school campuses? Of course some of the students on campuses they talked with said they would not like the guns on campus and thats why they had campus security. So where was campus security at V tech? When I went to college campus security didn't carry. They had mace and flashlights.
    My question is of all the shooting sprees of late how many of these loony shooters had a CC permit? I think an interesting statistic is of all the shooting crimes, how many of these nut jobs that committed these crimes had a CC? Were the weapons used in these crimes legally obtained? Somehow the left media never mentions these stats.
    Donnie
    edited November -1
    Can I carrry in Philadelphia seem to recall some discussion about this subject . Got to take the misses and step son to temple for interview for college Thanks
    edited November -1
    I just purchased my first 1911(kimber custom II).I need some advice on concealed carry holsters.I'm a bit on the chuncky side so I can conceal pretty easy.I normally carry a sig p225 and have only been made a couple of times.Anyway this is a much larger pistol and would appreciate any input on carry technique.Thanks,Bob
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep all of my personal or home defense guns fully loaded with one in the chamber. My CCW is an HK Compact USP 45 with no safety. First shot is double action. I have also carried my 1911 cocked and locked.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
    Raleigh.gif
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I normaly carry a revolver just becasue of size and reliablity but I also carry .45 Colt cocked and locked and carry my berettas 9 and 40 this way only not cocked I carry them with one in the chamber and the safty on after reading all the info I could out there about the beretta saftyies I have little fear of it going off Glocks I would also not be afraid to carry with one inthe pipe the .45 is the one that sometime worries me becasue i have had the slide lock safty slip off on me in my holster

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my carry guns are a sig sauer p-226 in 40 and an hk usp in 9mm both are decocker only..no safety and i ALWAYS carry one in the pipe

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The Tauus has a frame mounted safety and may be carried "cocked and locked" like the 1911, or it may be carried with one in the spout, hammer down and safety on for a double action first shot.

I also carry my Beretta TomCat .32 cocked and locked.

If you feel unsafe carrying in this mode, you probably are. Until you become more practiced with single action (or single/double) carry of semi-autos, I'd suggest you carry a revolver.

In the time it takes you to rack the slide in an emergency, you may well find yourself dead.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is safe to carry one in the pipe, as long as you always treat it that way (which you should) and as long as it is a quality firearm (not Jenning, etc.). I have always carried with one in the pipe, and never had a problem. Just remember, that extra second could cost you dearly.

P.s. you should get accustomed to carrying one way (either one in the tube or not) and stick with it. Problems come from people who are unfimiliar with the condition of their firearm.

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry like you do, steeltoe. When I practice drawing, I rack the slide one-handed by pressing the top of the weapon against my body, and move the frame forward.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toe, you carry is very safe. However if somone grabs one of your arms and starts to shoot or knife you witht the other, your gun is useless. It takes both hands to fire your carry weapon. Just a thought. I do carry my CCW fully loaded with one in the barrel.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    2 seconds to identify a threat, draw and fire. You are adding another step to the equation they may one day prove fatal.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,872 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I personaly don't see the difference between an semi-auto with a loaded chamber and a loaded revolver. A loaded revolver always has one in the pipe.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    My Glock's always have one chambered. If I'm carrying my Walther PPK/S or a S&W they are chambered and on safe.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone on here suggested carrying your gun cocked and locked safety off over an empty chamber (which is what you've been doing). The longer it goes without it going off in your normal day to day activitiy gives you more confidence. I used to be nervous of my Glock's safety in a CCW role but not any more.
    Good quality guns, that are properly maintained will not have any problem with that.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flying, that is exactly what I carry. DAO , nothing to foul up but to present and pull the trigger. When qualifying, I could pull from a holster, and have at least the first shot fired before I heard someone else shoot.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Colt Commander in condition 1. Have never even come close to having an AD. To discharge the weapon, three things must happen:
    1)The safety must be off.
    2)The grip safety must be depressed
    3)The trigger must to be pulled

Granted, one of these things could happen and possibly even two, but the chance that all three happen at the same time are slimmer than your chance of winning the lottery.

Mudge the packer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your not comfortable w/ the 1911 cocked and locked, carry the P95. Even if it is not a decocker model it is still DA first shot unless you cock the hammer manually. Trailside, to me, is physically to lare and of to small a cal. Taurus I rank in there w/ the Ruger. Beretta 25 is just not something I would carry unless it was the only gun available to me and then there would be one up the spout, plus a full magazine.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun I own is fully loaded with one in the pipe and safety on at all times. Every time I strap on a CCW gun I always check the safety to make sure it is still on.

I always thought what if I were in a situation were there was a holdup in a bank, resturant or mini market and some one holds up the place and orders everyone to the floor. Not the place to be racking a slide, it's going to draw a whole lot of attention to yourself. I like to know I can flip off the safety and wait for things to clear or defend myself if needed.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824