In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Texas toilet starts gushing oil

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Texas toilet starts gushing oil
Woman returns to crude-covered home
Crude oil covers the commode in Leila LeTourneau's Spring Hill, Texas, home, Feb. 2.
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:11 a.m. ET Feb. 05, 2004LONGVIEW, Texas - A Texas woman has struck oil - or maybe it struck her.
040205_toilet_bcol_750a.vmedium.jpg
advertisement

Leila LeTourneau returned from work late Monday to find crude oil covering her home's floors and spilling from the toilets, bathtub and sinks.

Experts have told her the oil kind of "burped up."

Longview city crews and representatives from Basa Research, which owns some wells in the area, are trying to help find the source of the oil.

Local station KLTV reported one theory is that the house may have been built on an abandoned well that wasn't properly plugged.

"I always tease people about 'doesn't everybody in Texas have an oil derrick in the back yard?' Then when I came home I discovered I struck oil inside the house," LeTourneau said.

She and her son are now staying at a hotel.

c 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>

Comments

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Source Of Oil That Floods Woman's Home Surfaces
    State, City Officials: Sewer Lines Mistakenly Hooked Up To Saltwater Disposal Line

POSTED: 5:58 PM CST February 3, 2004
    UPDATED: 1:28 PM CST February 5, 2004

LONGVIEW, Texas -- A Longview woman now knows the source of the crude oil that bubbled up through the toilets and drains in her home.

Slideshow: Tour The Oily House
    State and city officials say Leila LeTourneau's sewer lines were mistakenly hooked up to a saltwater disposal line. The line is usually used to move oil from nearby oil wells.

Longview public works chief Keith Bonds says a city sewer line strongly resembles the disposal line owned by East Texas Saltwater Disposal Company of Kilgore.

Bonds says the city work crew had no idea the disposal line was on the LeTourneau property when they hooked her up.

There was no sign of a problem for two years because the disposal line was empty, but oil backed up into the line Monday.

Despite the unusual occurrence, Letourneau said hers is the only house in the neighborhood to be affected.

"I went to both neighbors on either side to see if they were having any problems, across the street to see if anybody else had come home to this type situation, and none of them (...had) anything," Letourneau said.

LeTourneau and her son are now staying elsewhere until the problem is resolved.
    Copyright 2004 by nbc5i.com The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.nbc5i.com/houseandhome/2815836/detail.html

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I've used that one before,Josey!

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Let me tell ya a story 'bout a man named Jed....

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Who was it that said "If it brown, flush it down."? [:0]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

NRA Life Member
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bonds says the city work crew had no idea the disposal line was on the LeTourneau property when they hooked her up.

She is going to get a new house at least from the city

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd start pumping from that pipe if I were her.

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824