In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Pictures I Promised

kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Here is the herd, or at least most of it.
DSC02046.jpg
DSC02048.jpg

These are the real reasons why people don't break in to my house. The top pic is my Western Diamondback male, Fred. His mate Wilma is in the stump behind him. The lower pic is Isis, she's a sidewinder, and very pregnant.

DSC02050.jpg
Miss Benny, an 8 ft Burmese Python

DSC02049.jpg
Pancho & Lefty, A Ball Python and Red Tail Boa who have lived together all their lives.

DSC02051.jpg
Columbo & Woody, a Brazilian Red Tail, and a Hogg Island boa.

DSC02052.jpg
And Sweetie, another Ball Python. Shes bitten more people than all the others combined. I've never been bit in 15 years of snake handling.

DSC02060.jpg
And the one you've been waiting for, Shelby, the Bennets Wallaby currently living in my bathroom till shes placed in a home. Should I even get into my dogs and cats?

James
royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!

Comments

• cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They look healthier than the last snake I saw[:D][:D][:D]
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    You should change your user name to "coils"! [;)]

Can you send one of those to my mother in-law for me?? Preferrably a rattler![:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am glad you like snake cause I hate em'. The only good snake is a dead snake.
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0],,,"Don't move!!!",,"Stay Still!!!" I'll get a shovel!!!

,,,[;)]sod
    (just kidding,,,I think)

cyclone.gif13a.jpg
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    You could use the dogs and cats for snake food.[:D]

BTW,I've caught several diamond backs over the years and tried to keep them,but have never been able to get them to eat.
    Mice,rats,chicks,you name it.They wind up dead the next day but the snake never eats them.What's the secret?

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    cool pictures but man I hate snakes , they are the one thing that i will kill any place any time and don't bother to tell me how much good they do . I hate them I killem
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    "Asps...Very dangerous...You go first..!!"
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotto to catch them young. A friend once caught a rattle snake and gave it to my brother, it ate normally. He decided to let it go though, I think he was affraid it would get out.

Desert Eagle .50AE
    Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII(AR-15)
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    banner-big.jpg
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll sleep outside in a blizzard before I stay in your digs . . . . Different strokes for different folks, but the pix of the poisonous ones trigger a instinctive desire for a .38 with shot loads. Sorry, He Dog (and now kuhlewulf as well) - I simply have a pathological reaction to snakes (due, I expect, to encountering one as a small lad which had my parents much more worried than I . . . at the moment of confrontation, anyway). I realize they have a place in the ecology, just not any micro-ecology in which I participate.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kuhlewulf - COOL ! Always good to find another whom appreciates slithery critters. Can I put my name in for a couple baby Winders ? Have looked for a diamond back the last couple trips but they was all sleepin ... When will the DB be expecting ? [:)] Seriously ... I would love to get a couple babys ... already have snake home set up at my brother place !

"A Fear of Weapons is a sign of Retarded Sexual
    and Emotional Maturity" Sigmund Freud
    "MOLON LABE !"
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I like the wallaby. Since I did not get my new kittys[:(!] Can I have the wallaby[:D][:D][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I gotta ask it's killing me.
    Whats it like to take a visit to the pottie with a kangaroo in the bathroom?
    Walte
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of all the pets pictured on this thread, this one is my favorite:

13a.jpg
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Looking at those pictures all I could think of was, "Boy those would make a nice pair of boots!"

Oh, sorry ROBOMATIC...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I know what to get my boss for his birthday.
    I'll be sure to shake it real good before he opens it. [}:)]
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please dont let this offend you!But your crazy,my gosh man I cant believe you have the Rattle Snakes.I have an extreme fear of snakes even harmless ones.Ive had it since childhood and cant control it.I wish I could over come it as its truly disturbing,I dream about the darn things.Growing up I never saw a snake on the home property but I used to look under the covers to make sure there wasnt anything under them before I would go to bed.I think that was because of the story's my Dad had told me about the old home place.He would tell me black snakes would get in the house,and no one paid them no mind other than take them back out side.I have to ask you dont handle the Rattlers do you?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No handling the rattlesnakes! I do handle most of the others though, except Miss Benny. Shes fiesty and is one of the three breeds of snakes in the world that will eat humans when full grown. They are actually beautiful animals and if you get over the creeps they are pleasant to feel. No slime. The Pythons are studied for their ability to allow their internal organs to shrivel up then regenerate them when needed. This allows them to go 6 months to a year without eating.

Tools: The wallaby is to go back to the importer soon, He was in a sort of quarantine here. Made trips to the bathroom like a safari. Anyway, They normally retail for about $800-1200, but he'll sell it to me for $600, maybe less. I wonder if you can FedEx a wallaby?

Tazmutt: You gotta have a hunting license to posses native snakes. The captive born sidewinders will be exempt from that but as a precaution always have on anyway. Game & Fish can't tell the difference between wild caught and captive bred and will take all you stuff just in case.

To get rattlers to eat: Don't feed the for at least a month, keep a good heat lamp on them during the day, and cover the cage at night. They need normal day and night cycles. Then introduce the food, try and catch house Geckos, cover the cage (with the heat lamp on) and leave them alone for a few hours. If they still don't eat in two months let em go where you caught them. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A HUNTING LICENSE. THEY'LL TAKE YOUR GUNS, AND YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU DON'T.

James
    edited November -1
    Working on getting feeding pics, Stand by.

James
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    cool pics

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Right, Mate! 'ave a go at these then! What little beauties!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,456 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:three breeds of snakes in the world that will eat humans when full grown.

Check your sources. I am aware of one human eaten by a reticulated python in the past 100 years, and one human killed with feeding attempted by an African rock python. I know of no authenticated record of a human eaten by a Burmese python, though a large one certainly has the potential to be dangerous, and there are records of pet keepers being killed by Burmese.

He Dog
    edited November -1
    He Dog,
    Yes you are correct. But circumstancial evidence is what most of us rely on.
    The three breeds I refer to are the Anaconda, Reticulated Python, And the Burmese Python.
    I used to have a pic of a group of guys in a rice paddy standing around a dead guy and a dead snake. The snake was killed while trying to down the guy. Had his head and shoulders in the mouth when killed according to the story. Even in the black and white pic the markings were obvious Burmese. The head was an easy 10 inches across, body length should have been at least 20+ ft.
    The fact that most of the individuals large enough to eat people are in third world countries doesn't lend itself to great record keeping. Legend and story is all we have to go on. My mother grew up in the old world Thailand, and has seen the monsters we only hear stories of. If they can take small livestock, people eating is no stretch of the imagination.

James
    edited November -1
    Perhaps not a stretch of the imagination, but a near impossible streatch of the quadrate bones and the esophagus. As I said I know of one human eaten by a python, and he was an 11 year old very small for his age (India). Otherwise human shoulders are an insurmountable barrier to swallowing. I know of no authenticated killings by anacondas (despite the movies). On the other hand I know of a least one person killed by a 7' boa constrictor.

He Dog
    edited November -1
    Don't even mention that "movie", just another reason to hate J-Ho![}:)]
    Yes, most of the "maneater" labels are conjecture based on a lot of "its possible" variables. I did see a program that theorized the only way a snake could eat a grown man was feet first since that would allow the shoulders to collapse in. But snakes rarely eat any way other than head first (although my boas try). While I doubt any snake could ingest a full grown white man, a skinny guy from __________ [:)]in the third world might not be too far fetched, and children are fair game. I generally don't feed anything larger than the animals body diameter, but my rattlers will eat things almost twice their body width. But, in all honestly I must defer and admit the three maneaters are such mainly in theory and not practice. With the encroachment of the civilized world on the Jungles these animals call home, I seriously doubt if any will grow to be big enough to be maneaters.

So He Dog, are you a Herp, or just very versed in general animal knowledge?

James
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kuhlewulf
    Cool pics! The only time I am bothered by a snakes is when I can hear them rattle but don't see them, like in knee hi grass.

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a series of photos of an anaconda with a fully ingested Peruvian oil exploration worker loaded in the back of a pickup truck. The other pictures showed the snake being opened up revealing the fully clothed man inside. The man disappeared to take a nap. These natives are just slightly smaller in stature than we are.
    This event took place near Iquitos, Peru in the Amazon headwaters.
    edited November -1
    Kuhlewulf, a professional herp. Nice reply. There are a number of species that conjecturally could be dangerous if not man eaters, including some of the non giants like boas and Indian pythons (a subspecies of the Burmese, which very rarely exceeds 12 feet).

Have a care with those rattlers, bites are no fun!

He Dog
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pics. Thanks.

My first thought was, oh good babies. Maybe I could get one. Then I came to my senses. If there is one thing that would cause a divorce at this point, it would be getting snakes again. I had diamondbacks when we first met. She hates snakes. After a while she talked me into getting rid of them. (Mostly because we were going traveling, and no one would take care of them)(I wonder why?) I am not sure how she put up with them as long as she did, now that I know how much she dislikes them. (No, make that hates them) I have always wanted to get an Albino Burmese Python. But she would have to be either dead or gone. One of the VERY few things we disagree on.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last time I saw a wallaby I was in well, Australia! Where did you get one?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
    edited November -1
    Me and my GF both do reptile rescue, and love snakes. She also loves spiders, and I love to squish them on site. I once shot a tarantula with a .41 mag just to get it off of the tent. Spiders feak me out.

Dave: the wallabys are a new pet rage in the U.S. This one was bought and then returned by a woman with more money than sense. They will tame and be about like a dog when raised right. Then get 2-3 feet tall, and eat horse food or veggies. They normally run 800-1200 bucks but I can get them for about $500-600.

James