In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone here own a Corvair?

kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just curious. Found some Corvair emblems from a 1967 Corvair Monza, have no idea what to do with them, or how they got mixed in with my bike parts.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I had a Corvair powered "Wonder Bug" once.
    Does that count?

I've got a "Monza" emblem too.Don't know where it came from or how long I've had it.Found it in a box of stuff out in the garage several years ago.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I think there is a corvair club here in florida, I will check ans see, maybe you could sell them to one of the members..

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one as my first car in '66. It spun around backward on an icy patch, went across the center line of Highway 30 East here, took the side off another car. They had good traction, but they were so heavy in back they wanted to spin 180 whenever they got the chance. And the clutch pedal was attached to the transmission by -- a piece of rope....

You could probably auction the emblems to a restorer online for a few bucks.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Here is a list of clubs[:D][:D]
    http://groups.msn.com/westfloridacorvairclub

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/6668/

http://dacc.provide.net/

http://dacc.provide.net/

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I think Ralph Nader has one...might check with him...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have a 4 door 66 110hp powerglide with 30,000 miles on it in the yard waiting to get cut up for an airplane engine..... does that count?

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a few, 66 Corsa 140hp 4 carb 4 speed, 65 Monza 110hp 4 speed, 67 Monza 110hp automatic, 64 Spyder turbo and a 62 rampside pickup with a dealer installed camper (looked like a Midas mini-motorhome).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, for "the most dangerous vehicle on the road" there sure were a lot of them. Maybe I'll put these on fleBay?

James

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I like the Corvair. I never owned one,but I have driven several. I worked for a Firestone dealer in 1961 and they had a new Corvair that I drove as a delivery vehicle. It was a lot of fun to drive. They had a Ford falcon that I hated. I also worked at a sports car dealer that sold Corvair Sprints which was a custom version with 4 carbs and other modifcations. They had a 1963 demo that I drove some. It was a great sports car with over 200 hp. The only problem that I remember about them was oil leakage. There didn't seem to be anyway to keep them from leaking. I worked with a fellow that had one of the first 1960 model that had the gas heater. They only did that the first year. I guess they were afraid of them going up it flames.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a buddy with a Corvair Monza Spider back in the 60's or was it the early 70's (I've got a good memory, it just doesn't last very long!) ... kind of a cute little machine! Hard to keep the drive belt from wearing out, slipping and/or breaking, though.[:D]
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thinks I'll fleabay them. Maybe contact some of the corvair clubs. I know someone will appreciate them. Thanks for the input and stories.[8D]

James