In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

might be old stuff..

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
but the shuttle is still a thing of beauty and American pride.

Just watched her land, very cool.

Congrats NASA

Comments

• Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I was in B-double-E school in Millington, TN when the very first one landed.

The Chief Petty Officer in charge of that particular class said "Watch, this boys and girls. That's a NAVY pilot!"

It's still a thing of beauty.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    What school is that Colonel? BEE is an acronym for?

I was also in Millington. 1973-74 Marine Corps "A" school for aviation electronics.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Ill never forget the challenger, I was in the Unisea department store in Dutch Harbor Alaska, It had just opened at 6am local time and the clerk turned on the TVs...by chance, the countdown for launch was underway at about 15, 14 , 13,...I watched in awe because space shuttles were pretty new at the time. After a minute I watched it roll onto its back and begin to flatten out. The day was cloudless and the sky a beautiful blue, It was awesome...It exploded. I knew immediately it wasn't normal separation of the boosters and I half yelled "holy SHCIT"!, Everyone in the store turned to look at me and saw the aftermath of the disaster as the parts and Pieces fell from the sky in the white plumes of rocket exhaust. I remember how calm the NASA announcer was, I forget the exact words he used to describe the problem but it was something like, "rockets show zero thrust", control is minimal" 63 miles down range, change in trajectory currently 7 miles off course" All the while the people in the store stood in shock with their hands over open mouths. No one spoke, as I began to wonder if there was any way in the world someone could survive it. wondering if parachutes would deploy lowering the cabin of the shuttle to earth, saving the astronauts... no parachute came and the pieces fell into the sea with no survivors.
    I bought a 657 and went back to the boat to tell everyone about it. I hadn't seen a TV for 6 weeks, it was a fluke that I was in the store at all.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I was delivering furniture for a store in Jupiter Fl. that morning. Heading back to the store, up US 1, i saw it clear the treetops and explode. I almost hit the car in front of me, when they STOPPED, in the middle of the road!!
    5 min. later, i pulled the truck into the store lot, and everyone was outside, in the p/lot crying. Sad day, for sure...[:(]
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    What school is that Colonel? BEE is an acronym for?

I was also in Millington. 1973-74 Marine Corps "A" school for aviation electronics.

Basic Elictricity & Electronics. Went through mine in Orlando.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was stationed at Incirlik A.B., Turkey. We heard about the explosion but did not see it for two days. Everything was tape delayed over there.

Bode