In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I don't think this guy is right about NFA item

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Saw this auction, I disagree with his interpretation of the law. I don't personally care but just worried he is going to get someone in trouble that buys this from him. I could be wrong also but I don't think he can call this a "firearm" like he says he can.

What do you think?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=425645104

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a thread about this last week, and I beleive the general consensus was that it was legal because it never originated as a shoulder fired shotgun, thus by definition is not a shotgun, plus it meets the various measurements. Now if you changed the pistol grip or put a stock on it then it would be illegal. That is what I recollect from the thread.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    but i guarandamntee if you were stopped with that in your vehicle you * would be hauled off to jail...i thought the barrel had to be 18 inches, a tad over..i really dont know
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy has sold 18,000 items,, I would bet he knows what he is doing,,just sayin-
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone correct me but u couldn't convert a regular shotgun this way unless it left the factory this way right? Cause wouldn't it be classified by serial number as legal and a regular shotgun would be modified right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker5656
    Someone correct me but u couldn't convert a regular shotgun this way unless it left the factory this way right? Cause wouldn't it be classified by serial number as legal and a regular shotgun would be modified right?

that is what I understood from the previous thread.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think everyone is right:
    ---it's legal
    ---the seller has done his homework & he knows it is legal
    ---in any encounter with Law Enforcement, you will be detained until they determine that it is legal.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I think everyone is right:
    ---it's legal
    ---the seller has done his homework & he knows it is legal
    ---in any encounter with Law Enforcement, you will be detained until they determine that it is legal.

Neal

Yeah unless they happen to be gun guys like most of us here, many Police Officers couldn't tell you what is legal or not legal under Federal law. Very few of the cops I know have a clue what an SBR is, let alone overall lengths, barrel lengths etc. Amazingly I know quite a few officers that don't own any firearms, have never owned any firearms and have no desire to own any. If they decide to carry off duty they carry their issued weapon. It boggles my mind, but too each their own I reckon. It would be more comforting if they took more interest in a tool that could save their lives.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know one thing I live in Illinois and I had a 45/70 mauser that had a 17 in barrel which is legal but when I was fishing a conservation officer seen it in the case wanted to see it and gave me about all the grief I could stand if she seen this I would be in jail in a heart beat.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether or not it is legal in the eyes of the ATF, It is still more than likely not legal in your state....
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Whether or not it is legal in the eyes of the ATF, It is still more than likely not legal in your state....

I think your right.

I believe in Nevada the Law states that the barrel AND the overall length have to be a certain size.

18 for the barrel, and 34 overall.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like it needs a sig arm brace...[;)]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if they do it, but if Remington sold stripped receivers and you bought one, put a pistol grip on it along with a 14" barrel, you would be good to go under this application of the law since the received never had a stock on it and was thus "never a shotgun".
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, off topic,, but WHY shouldn't it and many other things be "legal",, because the countrys lawmakers have made it so,,and it doesn't stop ANY crime,,,,B.S. --[B)]