In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R firearms

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
What is the latest about H&R firearms?

Heard rumor that Remington now owns? (maybe Marlin previouls owned//)

Are they still being produced?

I tried their site but appears it's not up to date??????

Comments

• Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&R/NEF Handi rifle and single shot shotgun line has been discontinued. I think they still import the semi auto and pump shotguns with the H&R label. The H&R semi auto 12 gauge used to be an identical twin to the Verona 12 gauge.

Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    The H&R/NEF Handi rifle and single shot shotgun line has been discontinued. I think they still import the semi auto and pump shotguns with the H&R label. The H&R semi auto 12 gauge used to be an identical twin to the Verona 12 gauge.

Don

Seen on GB forum site few days ago, maybe at this one that some guy ask Remington a question about H&R guns and they responded with a answer.

What's up with that???(Remington doing a answer?)
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May upset someone, but I would avoid their centerfire singleshot rifles. Especially those made in the last years.

Have yet to see one group worth a crap even when scoped and they are plagued with light firing pin strike issues. These are common at my range and I see many disappointed shooters leave with the feeling they got screwed. YGWYPF (you get what you pay for)

If it is venison, one wants for a low price, go with a Ruger American. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of what has been going on in the firearms industry lately hasn't been positive, as in the cheapening of certain firearms. Having said that, about 10 years ago I got an NEF 243 youth model for my than 7 or 8 yo son.

With my Barnes bullet reloads, it will print under an inch all day long. If I want to go hunting in some really nasty wet weather I take the NEF, not one of my "good" guns![:D]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry is getting into the single shot rifle market might be something you might be interested in I haven't seen one in person yet
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the "For What It's Worth Department: In 1930, Major Julian S. Hatcher, noted author and gun expert, won the Bisley match in England against all comers in the world. He won it using a H&R .22LR single shot pistol with an 8" barrel. Looks like H&R is like me, over the years lost a lot of their bragging rights. The gun in those days used the full "Harrington & Richardson trademark.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER

Don

Seen on GB forum site few days ago, maybe at this one that some guy ask Remington a question about H&R guns and they responded with a answer.

What's up with that???(Remington doing a answer?)
    when Remington acquired Marlin they also got H&R
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    May upset someone, but I would avoid their centerfire singleshot rifles. Especially those made in the last years.

Have yet to see one group worth a crap even when scoped and they are plagued with light firing pin strike issues. These are common at my range and I see many disappointed shooters leave with the feeling they got screwed. YGWYPF (you get what you pay for)

If it is venison, one wants for a low price, go with a Ruger American. My 2 cents.

No upset here about single shot NEF and H&R. (and some others)

Some people cannot accept the truth.
    You are very correct. I've reloaded for them. Most of them I can get accuracy with reloads, but I have to use soft shell primers for the light hits or get a intermittent snap, have too keep a leatherman knife handy so can every once in awhile on dig out the hull even with factory shells, especially if in the woods with a hung hull. (they should supply a dig out tool attached to their rifles for at the ready access) I seen a used NEF 223 that would completely miss a 24x24 inch target at 50 yards every once in awhile due to a bad barrel. To me like you say you get what you pay for maybe. Not a great loss if one evaporates. (disappears)
    Sure shame that people buy single shot 223's also for grandkids to deer hunt with a first rifle, People won't listen and go ahead and get something like a 243 caliber bolt action rifle and the kid can grow up with the gun and less chance of just wounding animals. Same can be said for youth and 410 gauge shotguns.
    AND Savage made and makes some O/U POS guns. (and they are not cheap)

Working on them NEF, H&R, Savage 24's is kinda like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. (and if this hurt your feeling you are too sensitive to be hanging out at the GB discussion forum)[;)]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr

No upset here about single shot NEF and H&R. (and some others)

Some people cannot accept the truth.
    You are very correct. I've reloaded for them. Most of them I can get accuracy with reloads, but I have to use soft shell primers for the light hits or get a intermittent snap, have too keep a leatherman knife handy so can every once in awhile on dig out the hull even with factory shells, especially if in the woods with a hung hull. (they should supply a dig out tool attached to their rifles for at the ready access) I seen a used NEF 223 that would completely miss a 24x24 inch target at 50 yards every once in awhile due to a bad barrel. To me like you say you get what you pay for maybe. Not a great loss if one evaporates. (disappears)
    Sure shame that people buy single shot 223's also for grandkids to deer hunt with a first rifle, People won't listen and go ahead and get something like a 243 caliber bolt action rifle and the kid can grow up with the gun and less chance of just wounding animals. Same can be said for youth and 410 gauge shotguns.
    AND Savage made and makes some O/U POS guns. (and they are not cheap)

Working on them NEF, H&R, Savage 24's is kinda like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. (and if this hurt your feeling you are too sensitive to be hanging out at the GB discussion forum)[;)]

Thanks Okie, I forgot about the extractor problems. Yes, I seen these problems as well. All were the ones with rimless cases.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    freedom group owns them, as well as many others

Remington
    Bushmaster
    Advanced Armament
    Marlin Firearms
    H & R Firearms
    Dakota Arms
    Para USA
    Parker Gun
    Tapco
    Barnes Bullets
    Mountain Khakis
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've been using this platform for years. Never had the issues being discussed. I wonder if the light primer strikes are in .223 rifles loaded with some of the hard primer ammo common to that cartridge. I did have a 20ga with an issue, turned out to be a broken hammer spring, a replacement spring cured that.

Accuracy isn't match grade but minute of deer to hasn't been an issue. I have a .243 right now that I was quite surprised at when I lined it up. It shot a 3/4" 3 shot group at 100 yards, I'm positive it won't do that regularly, but it did it once anyway. But then I have a 400 dollar scope on a 200 dollar rifle. Most of these rifles are 200 yard deer rifles. If you want to reach yonder, generally, this isn't your platform.

We have several of the slug guns in the family, per my recommendation. To say we have put a ton of venison in the freezer with them is, literally, not an exaggeration. In our state we can use rifles now, so the shotguns will see less use. The shotguns are not 200 yards performers, though I have a 3 1/2 inch 20ga that is (hasting's conversion).

Not a premium outfit by any means, but they've worked well for us within their limits. Affordable, easy to use and clean, safe starter gun for kids. Works really well as a tree stand gun, single shot means easy to unload and load, exposed hammer with transfer bar means it would be difficult for one to fire if dropped, even if cocked, safer than a bolt gun, simple for kids.

I've killed more deer with a single shot than I will ever kill with other platforms. I don't kill enough now to ever do that. I used to harvest 8-10 a year, now it's 1-2.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last one I owned was a survivor version in .223 . It shot MOA and never had an issue.

I decided I needed one in .308 and sold my .223 . Hard times once again reared its ugly head and I have been without what I always considered an excellent product for the money spent.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't say much in the way of bad about Handi-Rifles or the single-shot shotguns, after using several of each over the years. Matter of fact, I wouldn't mind picking up another Buffalo Classic sometime.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&R Ultra slug was/ is one of the best shooting things around. But now they are way high.