In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My shotgun went off in my house tonight:(

poisonedpoisoned Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I buddy of mine gave me an old double barrel shotgun about a week ago. I have always kept a loaded pistol in the closet and decided to keep the shotgun loaded as well. The thing was old and filthy so I decided to clean it tonight. After about 2 hours of cleaning I stuck two rounds in the barrel and closed it up. As soon as I closed it the damn thing went off and hit the wall above my sliding glass door. This scared the living hell out of me. I checked to make sure that it did not pass through the wall and it didn't but I will never load a gun outside of the shooting range again... let alone keep one loaded. My heart is still pounding even as I am typing this. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen? Why would my gun have done this? Could it be because it is so old and has not been fired in so long? Thank God nobody was hurt. I feel like such a *.

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a muzzleloader that would occasionally go off. I finally rebuilt the lock and the problem went away.

My wife's cousin was heading out the door to shoot a dog that was hurting his dog (with a litter). He didn't keep the chamber loaded so he pumped it and when he did it went off. The dog ran off but his dad (her uncle) saw that he shot the door and was ticked off and the kid said that it just went off. The uncle said guns just don't "go off" so he cycled it again putting yet another hole in the door.
    The next day that gun was cut into pieces with a cutting torch! [}:)]

I wouldn't shy away from loading and keeping reputable guns in the house.
    Obviously, follow safe gun handling procedures when loading and unloading just in case...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • poisonedpoisoned Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to take this thing to a gunsmith to get it fixed before loading it again. Good thing it was just quail shot.
  • buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shotguns sure are load inside ain't they lol glad to here no one was hurt
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Live and learn
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    As a sparetime hobby gunsmith for a small dealer here in Greenland, I sometimes see that shotguns will fire when closed like you mention or when the safety is set to "Fire"-position.

I've seen this with rimfire-rifles and double barrel shotguns mainly, but one had a Safari-type (light and short) .30-06 rifle, that he believed was "Greatly annoying" when it did that too.

Personally, I would never load a weapon that I don't know - outside a testsite or firingrange that is.

Test if the gun does this every time - or "just" when you slam the gun closed.

If you're up for a little disassembling:
    You can start off easy by pulling off the buttstock and keep an eye on a few things.

Does the buttstock touch the firing-mechanism/parts in any way?
    It's sometimes hard to feel.

When buttstock is off, what does the inside of the stock look like - does it have blank spots, like where metal parts have rubbed on it.?
    I've had this problem on a shotgun - it was very irregular as to how much you'd need to pull the trigger.

Is the stock damaged or cracked, so a piece or pieces of wood comes out of the buttstock when you open it.?
    Had this one on a "Ambassador" O/U - it fired both barrels and felt a little irregular at the trigger too.

When you look at the firing-mechanism - be sure not to set a finger on the hammer!!
    But does the parts appear to run smoothly - a drop of oil around pins and connections as well as a little work with some "Practise Dummy Rounds"/"Dry fire rounds" would be a good thing.
    I mean those rounds, that takes the impact from the firing-pin.

You might want to have a Gunsmith take a quick look at it.
    It shouldn't be much work for him - but you can always take off the buttstock yourself and make an initial estimate.

It might get a little complicated, if the gun has "Side-Locks", those side-plates where the trigger-mechanism is assembled in each side of the gun for left and right barrel.

But always remember:
    When you get a gun, used or even new in box - I'd always advice to get to know it first, before keeping it loaded for some reason.

It is unlikely that it will discharge itself - but even new weapons could need adjustment, a checkup or need to be fired a number of times.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lets narrow the problem down. what kind of gun was it... by name and model, otherwise this is a general discussion topic.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bobski is right. We need to either get to some specifics or transfer the subject.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to remove the stock or sideplates to see what's going on.
    What is likely is burred sears and sear notches or weak or broken sear springs. Also check the automatic safety. It's not preventing movement of the sears. Sometimes with old sidelock shotguns the stock interferes with the lockwork and needs to be trimmed clear of moving parts. In one case a double gun needed a metal spacer between the upper and lower tang because when the tang screw was tightened, the gun could be bumped off like yours. The gunmaker relied on the stock thickness to maintain proper spacing of the tangs but over years the wood compressed and made that fine German double very dangerous.
    If you dont feel competent to assess and correct the problem take it to a gunsmith.
    To answer your question, yes I've had a few accidental discharges, one like yours but with a rifle having an improperly adjusted double set trigger.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it loud inside? How is your hearing?
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you have to force it closed,or did it close easily as it should have? If it was stored with the firng pins out,thdy could be stuck in the "fire" positon and forcing it closed could set off a round.Not likely,but possible.
    the "every gun is ALWASY LOADED should really ring true for you now.Glad no one was hurt.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I'll bet the fireing pin(s) are jammed in the down position by dirt, rust or being deformed. When you shut the gun, the frozen firing pin hit the live ammo and set it off. Just my guess. You are lucky no-one was hurt. You should have a qualified gunsmith check it out immediately.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
    edited November -1
    The gun is an old Savage/Fox Model B. I think that you guys are right about the firing pin being stuck because only one round went off. The other one was untouched. As for my hearing, my ears rang for quite a while. Most of the damage was done to my underwear:) After I had made sure that nobody was hurt I went out for a walk on the beach to think about what had happened. Things like, what if my girlfriend was in the house and what if my dog was hit. Also, the screws to remove the butt of the gun are stripped so I cant remove it. I am picking up a P90 next week so I will take it in to be repaired then. I am looking at this as a warning for me to be more careful from now on. I had loaded the gun before with no problems at all.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Stuck firing pin theory sounds plausible to me, I've seen a few old doubles like that before. Had a Winchester model 12 that would fire follow up shots as soon as you jacked the second round home. Only did it if you kept the trigger depressed after the first round. Never knew if it was supposed to do that or not.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hammers are DIE CAST zinc alloy, not steel. A worn sear notch is a real possibility. This is a tough gun to assemble so let a gunsmith do it.
    Replacement hammers in steel are available from Gun Parts.
    Open and close the gun to see if the hammers stay cocked. When open,see if any firing pin is jammed forward.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You learned a valuable lesson and I'm glad no one was hurt. [:D][^] I have a Fox Model B and have had the same problem with one of the barrels. If I remember correctly, a coil spring was broken or missing in one of the firing pins and it would slip to the down position when I pointed the barrel to the ground. Then, when I closed the action, it would fire....Anyway, go buy some sheetrock and joint compound and get busy.....[:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Yes, indeed I do have some clean up work to do. What a mess. I wonder what people will say when they come in and see a shutgun blast in the wall? I am very glad that nobody called the cops. I almost called myself just to let them know that everything was ok.
    edited November -1
    just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. After I take this in for repair I will let you know what they say.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how to legally transport a shotgun to the gunsmith here in california? I don't have a box for it and I drive a pickup. Can I just keep it in a bag in the back of the truck till I get to the gunsmith?
    edited November -1
    No big deal with a long gun in transporting it. Just make sure it's unloaded and put it in a zippered guncase. It's handguns that are evil in California. Actually, you could just take the receiver/stock and leave the barrels and foreend at home if you are nervous. Unless the gunsmith wants to test fire it of course....
    edited November -1
    Could I just stick it in a dufel bag on the passenger seat?
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two kinds of people who handle guns: those who have an unintentional firing and those who haven't had one - - yet! The MAIN reason for the rule that you know where your gun is pointing whether you expect to shoot or not. A learning experience. Congrats nobody hurt.
    edited November -1
    poisoned....You can do that...here is something from the book.....

Shotguns and Rifles

Non-concealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, non-concealable firearms must be unloaded while being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is considered an assault weapon in California must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.
    edited November -1
    Sweet! You guys are great. Gotta love these forums. A lesson learned indeed. After having this happen to me I have a whole new respect for guns in general. I would not even touch the gun for about an hour after it happened. To top it off this is the first time that I have ever even shot a shotgun before. They sure are loud as hell.
  • JEEROME589JEEROME589 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A MODEL 37 ITHICA PUMP WILL FIRE IF YOU CYCLE ONE IN WHILE HOLDING THE TRIGGER DOWN, I'M NOT SURE BUT I THINK THE NEW BENEILI WILL TOO. I'M SURE SOME ONE ELSE ON HERE KNOWS MORE THAN I DO, CAN NAME A FEW MORE.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
    edited November -1
    My landlord wants to come by and make sure that the dog is gone. Whats the best way to fix all of these tiny holes in the wall. Something tells me that a shotgun blast in the wall won't go over very well.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    my 1911 went off and went thru the floor boards of my truck got that problem fixed quick,for the holes there is this stuff called i think its called nail filler it looks like a tube with a sponge on top of it it works awesome on walls and will match the paint you can buy it at home depot.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • pagunrunnerpagunrunner Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you weren't coming in late and wife was a little pissed?[:D] I warned all of you about teaching wives how to shoot.

If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer.
  • hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]Poisoned: HOWS THAT THING PATTERN? Just kidding. My father nearly shot his dad in the leg closing up an old double back in the late 50's. I just bought a old savage double and did the "test it where ya can't hurt nobody" thing. Works fine. Good luck w/yours. Those can turn out nice if you don't mind spending a few $$! Glad to hear no one was hurt.
    edited November -1
    Just thought that i would let you guys know that the gun seems to operate fine after a real deep cleaning and lubricating. The wall has been patched up but the gun still remains unloaded as long as it is in the house. I now keep a loaded .45 under the bed for defense. My next home defense gun will probably be a pump shotgun stored under the bed unchambered. I prefer the 12ga for home defense because with the right cartridge it won't go through the wall but will kill an intruder with no problem at all. I know for a fact it won't go through the wall:)
  • BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try spackle. Put it on with a trowl or putty knife. Fill large holes with newspaper first and sand when dry. After you paint it, you won't be able to tell the difference. If the wall is white, you can try tooth paste in a pinch. We used that to pass a base housing inspection on Pope AFB in the late 70's.

When I first got my Ace II conversion unit, I was cycling rounds (.22LR) through the slide, when one fired. Fortunately, it was pointed at a clothes closet (mine). Ruined 2 pairs of blue jeans and 3 pairs of dress slacks. Fortunately, the wife wasn't home. I ended up with some high priced gun cleaning rags. I still have the slug and shell in a vial that I keep with the Colt conversion unit. All in all, I think it was a pretty cheap lesson.

Welcome to the club of humble buffoons.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietsche
    "Only the strong survive."
    - Jerry Butler