In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Too Old For Military Service?....Yeah Right!!!!

ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
April 26, 2005

57-year-old hospital corpsman cares for Marines in Iraq

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Paul G. Nutter consoles a member of the Iraqi Freedom Guard after an explosion killed two and wounded three others while they were on patrol in Haqlaniya, Iraq. - Cpl. Ken Melton / U.S. Marine Corps photo
Press release

HADITHA DAM, Iraq - Most people begin thinking about retirement by the time they reach 50 years old. Being in or around a combat environment would likely be the last thing on their minds. But age hasn't slowed one 57-year-old hospital corpsman with 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment.

Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Paul G. Nutter of Akron, Ohio, is overseas and serving his country for a second time. This time though he is with a different service.

Nutter graduated from Akron-Butchel High School in 1966, where he won the regional 100-yard backstroke and 50-yard individual medley events in 1965 and 1966.

Upon graduating Nutter wanted to do something different instead of going to school or working at the local factory.

"My uncle was a Marine veteran of World War II. He inspired my decision to go with the best," Nutter said. "So I joined the Corps."

In the Corps, Nutter served as an infantryman with Force Recon and participated in the Easter Offense in Hue City.

"This was the first time that we had ever fought house-to-house and street-to-street," Nutter stated. "The MOUT (Military Operations Urban Terrain) training that Marines go through today is a result of that."

After serving eight years in the Marine Corps, reaching the rank of gunnery sergeant, Nutter returned to civilian life. Returning from serving his country, he found himself continuing to serve those in need by becoming a fireman and paramedic. During this time he also attended Akron University and graduated with an associate's degree in gerontology in 1978.

In 1990 he became a full-time paramedic and decided to serve his nation again, but this time he chose a different Corps.

"I joined the Naval Reserves as a field corpsman right at the start of the Gulf War," Nutter said. "I wanted to be able to help my fellow Marines with the knowledge I had gained from my civilian life experience."

While he didn't get the chance to deploy then, he kept his skills sharp so if he were ever called upon he would be ready.

As Operation Iraqi Freedom rolled into its third year, he received his chance to deploy in support of the Marines. In March he found himself in Iraq with the Marines of 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment.

Though his wife has concerns for his safety due to his age, Nutter knows the Marines around him will keep him safe.

"My wife worries more now because of my age than she did when I was deployed in 1966. We were just dating back then," he said. "I know that everything will be alright as long as the Marines are here and the corpsmen are here to keep them healthy."

Nutter has served 23 years in the military and is the oldest service member attached to the battalion. He plans to retire after his mission here.

"I've seen a lot, done a lot and made a difference over the past few decades. I never had any regrets as long as I know I helped keep the Marines and the Naval Corps going strong," Nutter said.

- Cpl. Ken Melton, 2nd Marine Division

Copyright c 2005
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference...The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way to go, Gunney Paul ! [8D]
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fyi, he aint a gunny anymore folks! he got out!
    he must be true grit...he went back in with a reduction in rank. hes doing it all on a 2nd classes paycheck.
    not me pal!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It's men like him that make me proud of our armed services.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salute2.jpg

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless they have changed the rules, which they do from time to time, he will retire as a Gunny. You retire at the highest rate/rank/grade honorably held. He lost two pay grades by being discharged, not actually reduced in grade for cause.

GBsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the way i remembered it as a recruiter, if you change branches, you lose it. it would be too easy for men to skip from one branch to another to get promoted then get out. and...not in the reserves you dont. he didnt go back in ACTDU.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether he retires with Gunny pay or not, he's still out there gittin' 'er done!!!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference...The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan