In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

2nd amendment

0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Can someone tell me where to get a copie of the 2nd Amendment?
Let me hear your thoughts on how it is starting to be taken away
and do you think it will ever be taken away?

SEMPER FI

0341USMC

Comments

• 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumfuMNM08c

Sorry if its already been posted,first time for me!
    edited November -1
    According to CNN there is no threat to the 2nd Amendment. They just went to commercial break, flip over to it, it's on right now.
    edited November -1
    [ the first part of the 2nd Amendment is no longer valid. The National Guard and Reserve may be nationalized by the President at any time. When they are they become government forces no longer under state control. Therefore the 2nd Amendment should read simply "The right of the People to keep and bear arms Shall not be infringed" Think about it
    edited November -1
    Long article and a large download (2+mb) but well worth reading and good information to have. Published in June of 2002 so it is a current article.
    www.virginiainstitute.org/publications/primer_on_const.php

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands") ~~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Any good civics text book should have the constitution in the back.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once possessed a copy of the handwritten document and was surprised to see that the Second Amendment is not the second Article of the Bill of Rights.

It is worth finding and looking at.

My considered opinion is that the subordinate clause is one rationale, but not the only one, for pereserving the "people's" right to keep and bear. The subordinate clause is not a limiter, it is one reason. The subordinate clause could read, "because the swallows fly to Capistrano" and it wouldn't dilute the complete sentence which follows one bit. Also, "well regulated" in the founders' day meant "well equipped," not State organized. Therefore, the looney left's contemporary assertion that the Second Amendment only protects uniformed state militia has no more substance than a fad. The Second Amendment protects "militia-style" (i.e., military) arms held by the people.

If any other part of the Constitution were subjected to the patchwork of local ordinance that besets the Second Amendment, the media and everyone else would be screaming bloody murder. Can you imagine the First Amendment having 40,000 laws controlling and abridging it? I certainly can't.

Right now there is a debate about the states' rights to make laws pertaining to Constitutional guarantees in other areas. I see those as keenly relevant to the Second Amendment. Determinations made about states' rights in other Constitutional areas may well establish precedent for the whole Bill of Rights as well. Which is why all these matters need to be handled with care, as if they are connected -- because they are.

Bluntly, if the First Amendment is judged the immutable law of the land throughout the 50 states, so are the other articles of the Bill of Rights.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very well said.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most important aspects of the 2nd Amendment is to read it in the context of the other amendments. Note the use of the word "people". Then when some idiot says the militia or military is the recipient of the 2nd Amendment, tell them the right to free speech and worship belongs only to the same "people" (ie gun owners). Watch their head implode [:D]

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want information about our Bill of Rights, I recommend the following 2 titles by Les Adams (lawyer, writer, and publisher). They are:

The Bill of Rights Primer
    The Second Amendment Primer

Both are published by Palladium Press, 24.95 each, order by 800 number or online. Go to http://www.palladiumpress.com/ Both books go way back into 16th and 17th century Europe and England to lay the groundwork for what our founding fathers laid down in the Constitution and in the Bill of Rights. They cover a lot of territory and you will probably read them more than once to gain understanding but you will also gain enough ammunition (pardon the pun) to set a liberal babbling to himself.

Cheers, Bob